• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Derailment

ProtoClone

First Post
Me and two others getting the DM, my brother, to speak with the voice of "Randy "Macho Man" Savage" as the voice of the king in need of our help.

Attachments

• l3pnok1f43ge3ln3.jpg
    l3pnok1f43ge3ln3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

MortalPlague

Adventurer
One of my players once tried to draw her 'sort shord'. :p

There are other stories, countless others, but I can't remember the wording. Perhaps that's a small mercy.

Blackbrrd

First Post
We had a session in Rolemaster where the DM describes a keep with a small tower, stables and a courtyard with walls. He then draws it and puts up a scale. The whole complex was about 10' on each side, the stable maybe 2'x6' and the tower 4'x4'. We comment on it and he ups the scale to whopping 20' on each side. Now the stables are 4'x12'. :p

The player with the bard-ish character created a poem about the guy that owned the keep which rhymed pretty nicely. It sort of derailed from there. The story is told at least 2-3 times a year and it's 6-7 years ago. :D

Psychotic Jim

First Post
As I recall, this occurred when I was running the Sunless Citadel almost a decade ago. RPG companies can come up with some really bad names, and this module was no exception. There was a bugbear gardener who went by the name of Balsag. When I accidentally pronounced it "Ball sag", and there were laughs, guffaws, and chuckles all around. They didn't let that one go until a few years after that. Same thing occurred with a Charun type ferryman on the River Styx in Hell In Freeport. His name was "Bish", and you can guess how they reacted to that...:heh:

For a lwhile after, I would on occasion hear them threaten playfully to make a particularly troublesome NPC "their Bish!"*

Fortunately, they seem to have forgotten about these name jokes a few years back. Not that there hasn't been other things for them to occasionally give their poor, old DM grief about, but that's all part of the game.

*The exclamation mark is a necessary part of the statement.

Xeterog

Explorer
Mutants and Masterminds game. My Brick was being attacked by a young girl. As she was getting thru my defense pretty easily. We were fighting in a historic district, so to avoid damaging the near by buildings if I managed to knock her back, as I attacked full force, I told the DM that "I knock her up!...."

Mallus

Legend
I see this thread is back... okays...

A friend of mine recently stopped a session dead in it's tracks with the line "I will teach you to be pickpockets of men". It helps to know his character is sort of Fagin by way of Borat and China Mieville, complete with horns and a gang of clockwork-cyborg orphans. He's currently re-writing the holy texts of our scam-based new religion (based around a possibly divine pig).

A few months back I stopped a session with an NPC, a higher-up in the cities Beggar's Guild, a sort of homeless nobility. Her name? Lady Bumtussle.

MarkB

Legend
Treading carefully, as this may be on the borders of EN World good-taste policy. Also, I'm not sure if this one converts well from spoken word to text.

Several years ago, we were playing a Forgotten Realms campaign set in Mulhorand. Another player's character was Neferteta, a female Cleric who'd been a bit of a tearaway before reforming and joining the priesthood. My character, a warlock called Ismalith, was her brother, and we quickly settled into a typically bitchy brother-sister relationship roleplay-wise.

Ismalith tended to tease Neferteta by telling the rest of the party scurrilous rumours about her, including expanding upon the "mis-spent youth" element to suggest that she was actually a former temple prostitute. It was just a bit of background role-play, until we came to be exploring an ancient tomb, and some of the other players were talking about whether to open the ornate coffins inside. At which point, I piped up, in-character:

Ismalith: "You really should stop using that word around Neferteta. It gives her nasty flashbacks to her youth, reminding her of what she used to get asked to do at the temple."

Everyone else, mystified: "What word?"

Ismalith: "Sarcophagi."

After a couple of mystified seconds, light dawned and the session more or less collapsed for the next twenty minutes.

Even to this day, none of those who were present can hear a DM mention "sarcophagi" in a description without a giggle, and whilst I wasn't there at the event, a couple of the players reported having brought a convention LFR table to a halt by collapsing in giggles for ten minutes after the word was mentioned, and then having to try and explain to the rest of the players why they were laughing.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Apologies to Morrus' Grandma for this one,

I was running for a mixed group of new students at the local uni's RPG society. One of them was a Chinese exchange student, gaming for her first time and in her second language. The rest were British.

I was running a cyberpunk investigation game that was really a Kult game. The players had received sardonic "help" from a voice calling itself Aaron (mostly they'd asked stupid questions so he gave stupid answers).

They were trying to decide whether or not to trust his advice of a thorny issue, one of the British players piped up, "There are three reasons not to trust Aaron, firstly, he's a :):):):), second we have no idea who he is and thirdly most importantly Aaron is a :):):):)!"

There was a beat and the Chinese girl looked round and said "Whats a :):):):)?"

As well howled with laughter I told the player he could explain...

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
I had a character who witnessed his family killed by ogres. So he was going on aout seeing his mother rutally eaten to death in a dramatic way. And the final sentence was "Now whenever i see the face of my mother all I see is the face of an ogre".

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Which would look a little bit like this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaqNRmx08-4&feature=related"]YouTube- hippopotamus[/ame]

(One of my favorite running gags in a Brit-com, FWIW.)

Remove ads