Game of Death is recruiting players, deadline 7/19

Jemal

Adventurer
I'm in, and have a question.
[sblock=dm]
What's your take on the Warlock's shadow walk ability? Whenever you move at least 3 squares you gain concealment. Is this enough for a hide check? If so, I'll be trying a Warlock(Multiclass: Rogue)[/sblock]

Also, will you be using the standard suggested rules for equipment at higher levels? (I found'em once but can't find them again...) or are we using lvl 1 starting equipment?

OutlawJT

First Post
Count me very interested. I want to see what the finalized character creation rule for the game will be before making a commitment to it, though.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I'm in, and have a question.
[sblock=dm]
What's your take on the Warlock's shadow walk ability? Whenever you move at least 3 squares you gain concealment. Is this enough for a hide check? If so, I'll be trying a Warlock(Multiclass: Rogue)[/sblock]

Also, will you be using the standard suggested rules for equipment at higher levels? (I found'em once but can't find them again...) or are we using lvl 1 starting equipment?

[sblock=Jemal]
Yes, that's enough for a stealth check. It doesn't really go along with common sense for a well-lit area but we'll be playing it by the book and making as few adjudications as possible along the way.[/sblock]

We'll go with the suggested rules for equipment at higher levels (page 143). Select one 11th level magic item, one 10th and one 9th. Starting gold is 4,200.

Point-buy, definitely.

Jemal

Adventurer
[sblock=DR Midnight] That's why I asked, I've run into people with varying opinions on it so I figured I'd check with you first. :) Good to know I'll be able to try this out at least once.
I have one more question about the warlock/Rogue combo. see if you follow my line of thinking here...

Rogues can Sneak Attack when using a light blade, crossbow, or sling.
Warlock's can use a pact blade as an implement for it's attacks.
A pact blade is a 'light blade'
Does using Pact Blade as an implement for a warlock ability count as 'using a light blade' for the attack and allow the Sneak Attack (Which I could use once per encounter as per my Multiclass feat)?
I understand it seems like it's a bit powerful, which is why I'm asking your opinion so I know what options are open to me.
[/sblock]

Allright, I've begun work on my character, but I have a couple more questions.
First - What are we doing regarding access to each others sheets, since this is a PVP thing? Are we
A) Emailing them to you for privacy?
B) Posting them here and using the Trust policy?
C) Allowing people to look at each other's characters?

Second - Are Item upgrades allowed?
Example: LVL 10 item costs 5,000, lvl 11 costs 9,000. Can you pay 4,000 to upgrade a lvl 10 to a lvl 11?

Third - How are we deciding teams? Are you going to attempt to keep them balanced, or are we choosing our own team-mates, or will it be two captains and then take turns picking like in Dodgeball? ;)

Fourth - Will the entire battle take place at once, or will there be a break between the team battle and the free-for-all of who's left?

Sorry bout all the questions, I just like to know... stuff.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Possible problems:

- If we play 'only' one encounter, there will be no difference between encounter and daily powers.

- If the last man standing is a new encounter, there will be a gamble between using the dailies up for the group, or save them for the one-against-all.
(Perhaps this isn't a problem, but a tactical decision)

Jemal

Adventurer
Aye, WD read my mind. :) In addition it would mean everybody gets time to heal between each if they're seperate encounters (useful for those who take the brunt of the initial assault 'for the good of the team')

Dr Midnight

Explorer
[sblock=DR Midnight]Rogues can Sneak Attack when using a light blade, crossbow, or sling.
Warlock's can use a pact blade as an implement for it's attacks.
A pact blade is a 'light blade'
Does using Pact Blade as an implement for a warlock ability count as 'using a light blade' for the attack and allow the Sneak Attack (Which I could use once per encounter as per my Multiclass feat)?
I understand it seems like it's a bit powerful, which is why I'm asking your opinion so I know what options are open to me.
[/sblock]

Allright, I've begun work on my character, but I have a couple more questions.
First - What are we doing regarding access to each others sheets, since this is a PVP thing? Are we
A) Emailing them to you for privacy?
B) Posting them here and using the Trust policy?
C) Allowing people to look at each other's characters?

Second - Are Item upgrades allowed?
Example: LVL 10 item costs 5,000, lvl 11 costs 9,000. Can you pay 4,000 to upgrade a lvl 10 to a lvl 11?

Third - How are we deciding teams? Are you going to attempt to keep them balanced, or are we choosing our own team-mates, or will it be two captains and then take turns picking like in Dodgeball? ;)

Fourth - Will the entire battle take place at once, or will there be a break between the team battle and the free-for-all of who's left?

Sorry bout all the questions, I just like to know... stuff.
[sblock=Jemal]Huh. That's definitely a good question. By the book it seems to be kosher but I'm going to ask around a bit, so hold on. [/sblock]

Privacy: Don't post anything here you wouldn't want people reading. I can be reached at imdria at gmail dot com.

How much to reveal to your team about your character is your choice.

I can't find anything in the books about paying to upgrade an existing item. If there is something like that, then go ahead... otherwise, you're stuck with items at the levels given.

Choosing teams- I haven't decided yet. I'm going to work up the general guidelines today.

As to new encounters, short rests and daily powers, there are a few things I haven't decided yet but know that the power-ups will include bonuses like refreshed encounter / daily powers and such.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Character Creation
Point buy using the core books and DDI Dragon issues only. Level 10. Select one 11th level magic item, one 10th and one 9th. Starting gold is 4,200.

Teams
The game will start with two teams of five. Teams will be randomly selected. Each combatant will have a d20 rolled for him, and the teams will be selected from the lower and higher numbers of these rolls.

Once only one team is left, the remaining players will fight to the last man. The second portion of the battle will count as a new encounter and as such, combatants are granted the benefits of a short rest.

Starting Positions
Starting positions are randomly determined by generating a random number between 1 and 40 for both the X and Y axes. The character is placed there.

Battlemap
The map will be updated following every turn. The maps can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommartinart/sets/72157606125205319/

Kill Bonus
Whenever you kill another player, you regain hit points as if you had spent a healing surge.

Black Powder Kegs
Hit 'em hard enough and they explode, doing catastrophic damage to anyone unlucky enough to be nearby. Barrels can be tipped over with a strength check of DC 17. They detonate upon falling to the next tier below.

Rope
A rope is tied off here and suspended from the center of the ceiling. Making an Athletics check of DC 21 allows you to swing down (in a straight line as dictated by what direction you're swinging from) to the square of your choice in the center platform as a move action. Swinging up to the opposite side requires another check. Failing either check results in a fall, 4d10 points of damage. To determine where the character lands, roll 2d6+2 and place the character that far from the square where the check was made.

While swinging, you are in melee range through the center platform's area and provoke Opportunity Attacks. You gain +4 to your Reflex defense.

Once a rope is released it effectively disappears.

Power-Ups
At the center of the raised platform, at the beginning of every turn, a randomly generated power-up appears. A character need only pass through its square to gain its effects. Only one power-up can exist on the board at any given time. Roll 1d12 to determine what your power-up is. The higher the roll, the better the power-up. 1, for example, is regain one encounter power.

Bottomless Pit
The raised platform is surrounded by a bottomless pit. Once a character falls in he / she is dead.

Cowardice
A character that goes for three full rounds without taking offensive actions takes 3d6 damage. Moving towards an opponent does not constitute an offensive action.

Ledges are 60 feet high. See cross section diagram.

Stairs are considered Difficult Terrain.

Ceiling is 240 feet up from lowest (green) level.

The brick ledge is ringed with a 5 foot high wall.

Roleplaying character knowledge is unnecessary, i.e. a character hiding behind a wall isn't effectively hiding from another character. If your character can be seen on the map, the other players know where he is. Anything a player wants to remain unknown he should email to the DM.

Last edited:

Remove ads