GAME OF THRONES #1:The North Remembers ACT 11 Chapter 2-2012--Season Begins!

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I enjoyed last night -- although at many points it felt like it was just flipping through to make sure every character got a touch of screen time in the first episode.

It was delicious seeing Tyrion arrive at king's landing. Dinklage is doing an amazing job.

I listen to the audiobooks for the whole series (in addition to reading them), and the voice that the reader uses for Davos is so grizzled and gruff it's hard to see him in a more polished actor, but I've always liked that guy (looked him up - Liam Cunningham) and it's a great part, so I'm sure I'll warm up to him.

Craster (Robert Pugh) was a little less grimy and bent than I expected him to be, too -- at least, he was until he got talking. It's a good example of a character part for an actor -- he's probably going to have 3-4 scenes total, but in this one appearance he managed to totally convey the creepy, resentful, defensive, twisted guy that Craster is.

Is it just me, or did Geoffrey grow like two feet since last season? ;)

-rg

Joker

First Post
As a part Dutchman myself I absolutely loathe the Dutch accent. It's so monotonous and dull.
I might be overreacting because I'm so aware of it everytime she says more than three words. Perhaps other people only notice it on subconscious level adding to the weirdness of the witch. I'll probably get used to it though.

A lot of interaction and I absolutely loved it. It didn't feel like a half year gap.
It picked up right where it left off and set up the rest of the season nicely.

Can't wait.

Cor Azer

First Post
My only issue was nitpicky - Stannis was seated at the wrong place at the Painted Table.

Loved the actor for Davos and Melisandre. Not as sold on Cressen, but then, I guess I don't have to be anymore.

They are apparently going with the incest being much widelier known (and believed) than in the books, but glad they had Stannis mention Ned's failing in this regard.

I rather hope they don't intend Roz as a replacement for Alayaya. I can see why they'd swap a whore we know for one we don't, but Alayaya is supposed to be a Varys agent, not Littlefinger's. Of course, Tyrion and Varys pulling it off under Littlefinger's nose could be fun too.

Also, I never got the impression Cersei's hunt for Robert's bastards was supposed to be subtle. She's never shown that skill before, and never really does in the future. She's more refined than Joffrey, but as she says, "Power is power", and she thinks displaying outright power is enough to overcome any objections to her actions.

catsclaw227

First Post
I loved it. I felt they covered quite a bit of ground in the many scenes, but it didn't feel forced or contrived. I can't wait until next week!!

NewJeffCT

First Post
As a part Dutchman myself I absolutely loathe the Dutch accent. It's so monotonous and dull.
I might be overreacting because I'm so aware of it everytime she says more than three words. Perhaps other people only notice it on subconscious level adding to the weirdness of the witch. I'll probably get used to it though.

A lot of interaction and I absolutely loved it. It didn't feel like a half year gap.
It picked up right where it left off and set up the rest of the season nicely.

Can't wait.

Melisandre is supposed to be from the exotic land of Asshai - thousands of miles to the east of Westeros and even beyond the Red Wastes, so her Dutch accented English fits well with that. (There was initial speculation they may cast an Asian actress as Melisandre as well...)

I rather hope they don't intend Roz as a replacement for Alayaya. I can see why they'd swap a whore we know for one we don't, but Alayaya is supposed to be a Varys agent, not Littlefinger's. Of course, Tyrion and Varys pulling it off under Littlefinger's nose could be fun too.

It provides some increased continuity for minor characters, I think. The series overall suffers from some character bloat so to translate to the small screen they need to cut down some how.

I don't mind -- she's one of the more attractive actresses in the series IMO. :devil:

Remove ads