GAME OF THRONES #1:The North Remembers ACT 11 Chapter 2-2012--Season Begins!

Starman

Adventurer
Also, I never got the impression Cersei's hunt for Robert's bastards was supposed to be subtle. She's never shown that skill before, and never really does in the future. She's more refined than Joffrey, but as she says, "Power is power", and she thinks displaying outright power is enough to overcome any objections to her actions.

That was my issue with the Littlefinger/Cersei face off. Littlefinger is nothing if not a subtle manipulator. That was far too overt for his character.

Daztur

Adventurer
That was my issue with the Littlefinger/Cersei face off. Littlefinger is nothing if not a subtle manipulator. That was far too overt for his character.

Well the show Littlefinger is quite different from book Littlefinger, so I'm willing to allow that. Still like the book version better but I like what they did with Cersei, Viserys and a few other characters in the adaptation.

Cor Azer

First Post

I disagree, but then maybe I'm reading too many layers into Littlefinger's scheming - overt schemers rarely can do subtle, but subtle schemers can do overt because there can be subtle actions going on beneath the apparent overt ones.

Spatula

Explorer
I'm inclined to cut him some slack here - he's not a robot, after all, and it would be natural for him to get defensive around the subject of his duel over Cat. But to look at it another way, who says he wasn't being subtle? The topic of the queen's incest is public at that point, so he's not tipping his hand or anything. What he does get to observe, though, is how she reacts to the topic being brought up (poorly, as it turns out). Cersei undoubtedly intended to intimidate Petyr, and he might have been frightened in the moment, but once the moment has passed, he's left with the knowledge that she is scared and can be provoked into massive overreaction. Useful information for one who believes that knowledge is power...

Starman

Adventurer
I'm inclined to cut him some slack here - he's not a robot, after all, and it would be natural for him to get defensive around the subject of his duel over Cat. But to look at it another way, who says he wasn't being subtle? The topic of the queen's incest is public at that point, so he's not tipping his hand or anything. What he does get to observe, though, is how she reacts to the topic being brought up (poorly, as it turns out). Cersei undoubtedly intended to intimidate Petyr, and he might have been frightened in the moment, but once the moment has passed, he's left with the knowledge that she is scared and can be provoked into massive overreaction. Useful information for one who believes that knowledge is power...

But I don't think it's really in his nature to be overtly testing people. Littlefinger is very good at making everyone think he's really on their side. He lets other people push the buttons while he maneuvers and manipulates in the background. No one really trusts him, of course, but then most people in King's Landing don't really trust anyone else. Littlefinger is good at getting people to distrust him less than other people. I don't see how his confrontation with Cersei fits into that pattern.

Remove ads