• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Game Stores in LA?

Elric

First Post
As an LA resident, I have to agree that the selection of stores here isn't the best. I was in Lake Geneva once and went to that store and it dwarfs LA stores, that's for sure. Game Zone does have a good selection, from what I remember (haven't been there in a few years though). In fact, I've been to Pandemonium Games in The Garage near Harvard in Boston and that was better than most LA stores as well. Fear not, though. Our weather is really, really nice :)

LeapingShark

First Post
Gamezone is okay, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

The one I like is All-Star Games in Diamond Bar. It's got a mongo-sized selection of roleplaying games, including more rare / out-of-print gaming materials than you can shake a stick at. They must buy-out supplies from going-out-of-business shops or something, last time I went in there they had tens of thousands of "new" (old) things crammed all over the floor in giant boxes. The only bad point about this store is that they are "shrink-wrap-happy", so you can't browse through most of the cool stuff (but on the other hand, fifteen-year old supplement books are often found in mint condition). It's not a large store, but it's bright, cheery, and well-kept (unlike Gamezone).

Of course, it's not anywhere near the airport, so you're SOL. :D

Setanta

First Post
Samothdm said:
My friend swears by Aero Hobbies.
I assume you're talking about me. I like Aero so much I don't go there more than a couple times a year. Aero is just the best of a bad lot. He's got a great selection, if you can find what you're looking for which is a huge if since he tends to just dump stuff into piles all over the floor.

Anyway, the best game store in LA is located at www.amazon.com

Samothdm

First Post
Ed Cha said:
I actually bought most of my modules at the Brentano's bookstore in the Beverly Center. They had a surprisingly good selection back then, but not any more. I think there is a Wizards of the Coast store or something on the top floor there now, but I'm not sure. I know there are two stores in that mall that carry d20/gaming stuff, but the selection is not so great.

That Wizards of the Coast store is gone, and you're right, the Brentano's doesn't carry RPG stuff any more (I never saw any in there, actually, but I've only been going there for around 8-9 years since it's close to my work). I eon't know about the other store in the Beverly Center that you mention that carries d20/gaming stuff.

Leapingshark said:
The one I like is All-Star Games in Diamond Bar. It's got a mongo-sized selection of roleplaying games, including more rare / out-of-print gaming materials than you can shake a stick at. They must buy-out supplies from going-out-of-business shops or something, last time I went in there they had tens of thousands of "new" (old) things crammed all over the floor in giant boxes. The only bad point about this store is that they are "shrink-wrap-happy", so you can't browse through most of the cool stuff (but on the other hand, fifteen-year old supplement books are often found in mint condition). It's not a large store, but it's bright, cheery, and well-kept (unlike Gamezone).

Of course, it's not anywhere near the airport, so you're SOL.

I used to really like All-Star Games back when I went to Cal Poly 'cause it was close by. But, over the years, everyone I knew who worked there has left (as a side note, Jim Pinto, from AEG, used to work there - he and I actually went to college together, although we didn't really know each other at the time). Now, all the new people who work there are super-nice and friendly, but you're totally right about the shrink-wrapping. I hate that. They're also a little lax about updating their website.

As far as not being near the airport... well, I guess it's kinda close to the Ontario Airport, but there's that whole "909" issue to deal with. :) j/k

Setanta said:
I assume you're talking about me. I like Aero so much I don't go there more than a couple times a year. Aero is just the best of a bad lot. He's got a great selection, if you can find what you're looking for which is a huge if since he tends to just dump stuff into piles all over the floor.

Sorry, yes, I was referring to you. I thought you went there a little more often. But, I think you've got the right idea with "best of a bad lot". That's how I feel about GameZone (it's "best" for me 'cause it's closer to where I live). But, yeah, I don't get all that excited about it.

T. Foster

First Post
I don't know if it really qualifies as LA (as it's probably an hour or more drive away) but there are at least 2 good stores in OC: Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove and another one, the name of which I can never remember, Game Castle?, in Fullerton. IMO either of those is better than any of the more centrally-located stores (Aero, Game Zone, Third Planet, Last Grenadier -- in descending order of preference). I've never been to All-Star Games, even though I went to school for 4 years in the 909. If I ever find my way back out that way again (not bloody likely!;)) I suppose I'll have to check it out...

kdanger

First Post
Tewligan said:
Wow - I'm moving out to L.A. in a few weeks, and this is a little disappointing. I was expecting to hear about all kinds of awesome game stores in that area when I started reading this thread. Phooey. Oh well - I'm still excited about checking out the big Games Workshop store, anyway.

Well, my gaming group is actually in Orange County (Anaheim area mainly), but you should swing by our group's website/forums and say hello. There are a few places near us: Brookhurst Hobbies (ok), Game Castle (smaller than Brookhurst Hobbies, but well kept), and there is a new place up in Brea which I have not been to yet(don't remember the name right now though).

That goes for anyone else down here in L.A./OC.

MightIsRight

First Post
T. Foster said:
...OC: Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove and another one, the name of which I can never remember, Game Castle?, in Fullerton. ...

I've only been to Brookhurst Hobbies once, I probably should go again. Game Castle satisfies most of my RPG needs. Like most places, customer service at Game Castle leaves something to be desired, but it feeds the need so to speak.

Setanta

First Post
I had heard a lot of good stuff about game castle so I stopped by recently on a trip back from the 909 (don't ask). Anyway, it was small, poorly organized, and poorly stocked. Nobody talked to me until I had been standing at the register for a minute with books in one hand and my wallet in the other. On the plus side, they were running some games in back (not RPG's- I have no clue what they were, but the kids playing seemed to be having fun), and someone from the staff was teaching Settlers of Catan to someone up front (not a game I play by choice because I'd rather go to Vegas and have a chance to win money if I'm going to play craps, but hey, teaching games is good).

Amazon is still the king of LA game stores, IMHO.

kdanger

First Post
Never been there to Amazon. Where is it?

Has anyone been over to the Realm in Brea? I like Gamecastle. Its much more organized than Brookhurst (though smaller). I have only been to Gamecastle a couple times, but people are friendly. And I dig those old bookshelf games and they do have quite a few.

Remove ads