Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant Apocalypse (Recruitment always open)

Zerith

First Post
I've been tinkering in hero lab (making suits! ^_^) and I noticed that, by the wording of the benefit, Felix should be at 4 languages known, not 3 (he has it at rank 2) I think he is going to spend the travel time learning a new language next time we go somewhere else :3

Ok, either I simply lost were it was that it told me that it affectedly doubled and redoubled the number of languages known or I was mistaken, rats.

Alright, just found it again and it works out as 1 2 4 8 and so forth with 1 2 3 and 4 ranks, and he is at the right number known, but he will get another 2 next time he ranks into it :3

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Alright, a few things to go over, as we're nearing the end of our Vegas Mission (Er.. spoiler alert? :p I'm hoping you'd guessed that by now).

First up, I understand JKason may not be rejoining us soon. If he hasn't responded by the time I start up the new thread (Or does and says he hasn't the time at the moment) I will temporarily write him out, fortunately Grid's story thread gives a good way to do that while still allowing for an easy return.

Secondly, the two missions you've done so far have both involved a lot of planning, stealth, and basically spy work, and I wanted to get everyone's opinions on whether they'd like to continue with the same style of game, or move to something else - Perhaps something diplomatic, or more action-packed. I know Frost hasn't had a whole lot to do (Part of why I designed the mad-scientist), and the pace can drag a bit for some people if they're not involved in the current events.

Which brings me to my third point : Party splitting. The current party is getting rather big, we have Laura, Cass, Kat, Frost, Uomo, Felix, Enoch, and (Maybe) Grid. In addition to that, you guys have a tendency to split into smaller groups on mission anyway, so I'm wondering what you all think of forming into two separate teams. It would be a bit more work for me, but I don't think I'll have much problem with it. I'm already having to deal with all of you anyways!

And finally, Void Razor - if We're going to be continuing with spy-type missions against mooks/normal humans, we're going to have to work on Enoch a bit - as it stands, his mental powers make things too easy. Normally I'd mention something like this in private, but I would like the other players input on this as well - It seems to me that all the planning you guys did to get into the building was made pretty moot by Enoch's presence. No need to sneak or lie or ask questions and try to figure out if someone's telling the truth - Having Professor X on the team just seems odd in a spy setting. Especially if Grid stays - between the two of you as it stands, you can walk through practically any building ignoring all manual and electronic security.

I'm open to suggestions/discussion, but my first two (though by all means, not the only possibilities) would be a different character, or at least nerfing the illusions.

Shayuri

First Post
I see what you're saying Jemal, but I'm not sure I agree entirely. Would it have been more acceptable if Cassandra had choked out each guard we encountered? That's pretty tough for mooks to resist too, and has similar effects in terms of getting us through checkpoints.

Admittedly, for spy stuff, illusions is more versatile and far better, because if it works not only does it raise no alarms, but people don't even know anything happened.

It has the downside of leaving a lot of enemies at our backs though, if alarms are later raised.

My gut says that before we nerf or replace, we should look at the rules that exist for illusions and make sure they're being used correctly. Did the guards get their Insight checks, for example? Even one guard with a lucky roll can spoil things. Admittedly, not having any mutant opposition until the end made our job a lot easier...and it's tough to justify mutants supporting this...but that won't always be the case.

And there are perhaps ways that 'normal' people could acquire the powers necessary to counter mutations. Cybernetics. Super-serums. Etc.

I mean, I get you can't pull stuff like that out at every turn...

I dunno. It's hard to judge what constitutes overpowered in this situation.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
I guess the combination did tuurn up to be uncanny. If we had the illusions but not the tech control, we'd have been spotted by the cameras.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I'm not a big fan of party splits, but whatever you think best Jemal. I would also like a bit more head cracking, but not overly so. I like spy stuff

Shayuri

First Post
I think a very large cast can allow splits in a PBP more functionally than a split in a realtime game. That said, a lot of the fun of an RPG is the interaction between characters, so cutting the cast too small can restrict that.

It would be worth a trial run though, just to see how it works here.

Definitely recommend separate threads for each subgroup though. Impossible to keep track of otherwise.

As for types of mission, I feel Cass is fairly well rounded, and can help in some way or another on most kinds of missions, even if it's just watching someone's back while they work. Keeping things mixed up is a good idea, not piling on too much of one thing at a time...but I don't think you'll have a problem there. You've been at this awhile. :)

Remove ads