• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming W/Jemal : Prisoners!!(Inmates Chosen)

-SIN-

First Post
Valak's hand also stays firmly down - he's plane jumping for his own reasons and therefore won't be processed.

It may be easier if the portal mechanics worked like thus; No matter how one reaches the prison, the instant they enter a portal (or get divinely banished to) they enter a stasis-like demi/sub-plane where time stand still. Upon the 'recieving' portal opening, the creatures are transported through, making the entire process seem instantanious.

Those whom get proceed do so before entering the stasis dimension. So apart from those who get processed, or know by other means, are unaware of the realms reason for existance - aka A prison?...

Autumn

First Post
Lord_Raven88 said:
I was just looking at everyones characters and based on everyone's alignment, party interaction will be interesting.

There are 2 Lawful Good characters, 2 Lawful Evil characters, 1 Neutral and 1 Chaotic Evil character.

Apart from Xing'dao Li the CE Illumian most of us should be able to act together although I expect there to a lot of moral debate (which will bore Quill to death). Let's just hope that the LG character's aren't bound to the evil characters, otherwise they might decide to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. Which would be pretty hillarious :D

Celes is going to have some pretty major problems with both Xing'dao and Valak, and I'm not entirely sure how they're going to be worked out. On the one hand we have an undead blackguard and a mass-murdering maniac, on the other we have a gallant knight errant with more morals than sense.

It's gonna be interesting...

I'm concerned that if things just take their course then we're gonna have a PK or two before we even get off the ground. Celes's natural reaction to an undead goliath is 'destroy the abomination first, ask questions later if at all'. The knowledge of the soul link thing - assuming she finds out about that promptly - would be enough to check that instinct for a little while maybe, but I'm still finding it hard to imagine how she's going to want to hang around and work together with the horrible thing.

Sorry if that sounds too pessimistic. I'm just trying to figure out how big of a problem this is going to be, and unfortunately I'm realising that it might be rather a big one. I'm not sure that it's possible for Celes, as she is, to work with this party. I'm afraid that she'll end up either starting a fight or just running off, and in either case I'll have done nothing but disrupt the game to no good cause. I guess maybe I need to go back a couple of stages on the drawing board and rework Celes's concept a little. I shouldn't need to change the crunch - I can just try to find some way to re-imagine her as a little more tolerant of the... umm... morally challenged. :p

Jemal, got any thoughts?

Oh, and LordRaven, Celes wasn't processed either.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Autumn said:
Celes is going to have some pretty major problems with both Xing'dao and Valak, and I'm not entirely sure how they're going to be worked out. On the one hand we have an undead blackguard and a mass-murdering maniac, on the other we have a gallant knight errant with more morals than sense.

It's gonna be interesting...

I'm concerned that if things just take their course then we're gonna have a PK or two before we even get off the ground. Celes's natural reaction to an undead goliath is 'destroy the abomination first, ask questions later if at all'. The knowledge of the soul link thing - assuming she finds out about that promptly - would be enough to check that instinct for a little while maybe, but I'm still finding it hard to imagine how she's going to want to hang around and work together with the horrible thing.

Sorry if that sounds too pessimistic. I'm just trying to figure out how big of a problem this is going to be, and unfortunately I'm realising that it might be rather a big one. I'm not sure that it's possible for Celes, as she is, to work with this party. I'm afraid that she'll end up either starting a fight or just running off, and in either case I'll have done nothing but disrupt the game to no good cause. I guess maybe I need to go back a couple of stages on the drawing board and rework Celes's concept a little. I shouldn't need to change the crunch - I can just try to find some way to re-imagine her as a little more tolerant of the... umm... morally challenged. :p

Jemal, got any thoughts?

Oh, and LordRaven, Celes wasn't processed either.
The only obviously evil person in the group will be the death knight which may cause a bit of trouble to begin with. Saying that I'm looking forward to the RP challenges presented by such a diverse group.

Because Quill is painfully aware of the soul-bond he'll be making it his first priority to duly inform everyone, which will hopefully buy enough time to work out some sort of semi-peaceful resolution.

Avalon®

First Post
Xing'dao Li would most likely have been processed. After all, he WAS sentenced to that plane by the judges at his trial. So... hands up for Xing'dao.

Btw, don't mess with the monk.

Avalon®

First Post
One on one then? :D

Jemal, how are we going to use temp hp from spells? I'm planning to have a persistent Divine Power running and I want to know if I have to roll its hp bous every time I cast it.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
OK, a few things to adress then it's back to work for a few hours.

Temp HP from anything will function the same as normal HP (I've got the chart in the info post, #24). Just for simplicity's sake.

RE: Soul bond/Party interaction.
Well, as Quill would know, there's usually a small party of armed guards waiting at portal when new inmates arrive. They clear the area for about a mile around the site so that the newbies don't get instantly set upon by roving monsters/Bandits. Then they inform the newcomers of the (very few) rules, and give them a weeks worth of rations. After that, the guards depart. Anyone trying to leave the circle or do anything before the guards leave is executed.
As for Celes interacting, I don't know if it'd be a problem, the only person who can decide how Celes would react is you, Autumn. I can give her reasons not to attack them, but I'm not gonna just say "you can't". It's up to how the other PC's act and how you react, etc. I've seen many good/Evil interactions before. So long as each has a goal in which the other's presence is required, there's no reason to fight, regardless of how much you hate each other.
ALSO, Keep in mind, LG doesn't mean "It's evil kill it." That's called Zealous Fanatasicm.

Shayuri - Ming sounds like a non-evil, younger version of Whin...

Sin - That's not really any different from how it works now. Anyone entering the plane for any reason is suspended until the weekly drop-off. Processed prisoners are just sent in after processing, and all appear at the portal location surrounded by guards and not realizing any time has passed. Remember that it wasn't DESIGNED as a prison, the guards are just using it's unique planar traits in that manner b/c it works.

Autumn

First Post
As for Celes interacting, I don't know if it'd be a problem, the only person who can decide how Celes would react is you, Autumn. I can give her reasons not to attack them, but I'm not gonna just say "you can't". It's up to how the other PC's act and how you react, etc. I've seen many good/Evil interactions before. So long as each has a goal in which the other's presence is required, there's no reason to fight, regardless of how much you hate each other.
ALSO, Keep in mind, LG doesn't mean "It's evil kill it." That's called Zealous Fanatasicm.

Oh, of course it doesn't mean that. Look at Shayuri's character; also Lawful Good, but totally not of the 'it's evil kill it' mindset. Celes, on the other hand... well... she's still not quite like that. I mean, she wouldn't go around executing petty criminals like the Punisher or anything. She believes in due legal process, and she realizes that most people who are 'evil' according to a Detect Evil spell aren't despicable monsters or anything. Many of them are reasonable people who've just lost their way. And if a person had the slightest hope of redemption, she'd be inclined to hope that they could change. So of course she wouldn't kill them.

But... cmon! A Death Knight?! That's not just evil. That's full-on irredeemable-abomination-of-nature-oh-god-killitwithfire Evil with a capital E.

But that said, I guess the circumstances are such that she would at least attempt to be tolerant. I guess we'll see how it pans out. Inter-party conflict isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I guess I just wanted to make sure everyone understood that there was fairly likely to be some on the cards, and that people were okay with that.

EDIT: I made a couple of minor changes to the history. It's largely the same, but I've basically just altered the manner of her downfall a little to leave her feeling somewhat more ambiguous and uncertain of herself. It's probably not really necessary, but it just makes things easier for me so... yeah, just humor me I guess. ;)

Last edited:

ethandrew

First Post
The way I figure Eoghan will rationalize being stuck with these obvious villains is the fact that this is their punishment as well. Obviously Eoghan did something horrible to deserve this, so he'll accept his fate begrudgingly. If the recourse of his actions has him teaming up and existing with surpreme evil, then it is only more befitting of his exile.

Possibly it is the same for our murderous companions, their punishment is not only to be on this prison plane, but to be partnered up with champions of good, beings whom in their previous world warred against each other. Now of course, this is par for Eoghan, Valak, and Xing'dao, for they deserve their fate; Quill knows what he's getting into, but Mei-Ying and Celes aren't in that position. They're victims of bad luck.

But, if in their quest to escape this plane they need to team with unsavory folk (ones who can do an unsavory task that might be a necessary evil that Celes and Mei-Ying would never do), they might do so because they understand that while they won't agree with everyone's moral outlook, having people willing to do tasks vital to survival and freedom could definitely be beneficial.

-SIN-

First Post
Autumn said:
But... cmon! A Death Knight?! That's not just evil. That's full-on irredeemable-abomination-of-nature-oh-god-killitwithfire Evil with a capital E.

He is Evil, but not in the sense of 'EVERYTHING must suffer'. He's more of a megalomaniac who'll do anything required to gain more power - meaning that he'd kill someone for something, and anyone who stood against his plans. E.G. He may kill a village elder for a relic in his possesion, which would of course have repocussions, probably in the form of the town millitia - who he'd also dispatch without a second thought, but he'd refrain from killing the entire village as they would pose no threat, nor would he have anything to gain...

(It reminds me of a comic strip in Dragon/Dungeon mag - it was a sketch of a commoner running into an inn, yelling "Run for your lives! There's a level 19 Fighter who's 30xp (a.k.a A commoner in 2nd ed rules!) away from levelling!!!")

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads