Gaming W/Jemal: War of Gods

Jemal

Adventurer
hmm, bit less of a response than I was hoping for. I can contact Ishalleatyourflesh and see if he wishes to return... Also looks like both Rathan and Dharuhk went AWOL around the same time I took off, but i don't know how to contact either of them.

So, I have a couple thoughts.

A: Re-recruit or stick with what we got? If flesh returns that'll make 4 pcs.

B: Finish off the test fight(With /without new pcs), restart it with the new characters, or move directly into the campaign.

C: Chicken or Egg?

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Just three characters might be a little dry...though at epic levels it might also be a lot more manageable.

I'm of divided opinion regarding the test fight. On the one hand, I like the idea of testing the mechanics of our characters to make sure we haven't made errors and that we can be effective on the sorts of fights epic folks get into. On the other hand, you've said a few times now that the test fight is NOT indicative of the kind of fight we'll be routinely getting into, and that it's actually quite a bit harder.

I guess I know where it's coming from. If we develop tactics and mechanics that work in this fight, then we'll be well prepared for less challenging fights. I'm just vaguely concerned that the test fight difficulty will become the 'new average' as far as difficulty goes if we optimize to that extent. It also concerns me that fights of that magnitude virtually -require- a very high level of optimization, which rules certain concepts (like, I feel, mine) inherently less effective. There's only so much you can do to optimize shapeshifting without spells, as well as a host of other ideas that might be perfectly viable in the actual game's difficulty, but that the test fight renders unusable.

But I'm willing to go the distance and see what happens.

Ruiktheforgotten

First Post
ya i think a smaller party would probably be for the better as things would end up going a lot smoother and we wouldnt have to wait of x number of people for posts :p

there mister dm gets my 2 cents worth now xD.....AND AND.....hi! hehehehehe!

Jemal

Adventurer
Allright, well I guess I'll set about starting up the real campaign then, I think we've got a bit of a feel for each others fighting style from what we did allready, so I'll work on the starter post.

Unless I hear otherwise or some third party pokes in saying "ooh can I join", We'll be sticking with who we have - Shayuri, Fenris, Ruik, and probably Flesh.

Jemal

Adventurer
well, got confirmation from Flesh that he'll be rejoining us. I've got stuff planned for tonight but the start's mostly ready, it should be up before I go back to work tommorow. If not, I'll get it up asap, just keep your eyes open.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Hey Jemal, I remember you ran the Legends game, back when I was brand new to PbP (lol at me, jumping in an Epic game with no knowledge). You also hosted that awesome "interplannar academy in 3.5" concept before going away (shame on you!)

Before I read on the whole character creation stuffe etc. can you tell me:

1. Are you looking for players?
2. How far along is this in progression?
3. What is your goal for this game as a DM?

I saw you restricted casting whcih IMO is the only way to have any semblance of balance in an ECL40 game. However there are still things that can break the game, such as magic items, artifacts, Leadership, specific races (with Su abilities) etc.

So, now with no casting and no ToB allowed, I suppose I can finally play a Barb/Frenzied Berzerker/Bear Warrior/War Shaper/Something or other, actually the build is inspired by that one NPC you had in the Legends game.

I could also go for an assassin type character with SA but you'd probably disallow the actual Assassin class as it can cast spells (and some from the SC are very good). What about Shadow Dancer? The added mobility in a game where we can't teleport/fly/blink/abrupt jaunt around the battle field would be nice. Feats like Craven etc. can make for a good SA focused character.

Oh as a matter of fact, being an Epic game, how will we handle large-scale logistics and mobility? At this level everything should be flying around I suppose.

Oh, in a non-magic ECL 40 game I actually thing the most broken (non- Hulkin Hurler) build would be a simple Ubercharger. I can get him to do 4000-5000 damage per round easily, would that be something you'd want or not? (that is totally possible by using only melee, non-magical classes and some cheap equpment. A valorous lance and anklets of translocation is the only thing I need actually)

Last edited:

Dharuhk Svahre

First Post
Howdy all. I'm back from the grave. Damn computer broke and now that I have anew one I can get on with some form of regularity again. Sadly all of my DMing notes are gone, and despite numerous attempts at trying to rewrite it, it seems I've hit a mental block and completely forgotten where I was going with my campaign.

But I'm still good to go as a PC if you'll have me again when this restarts. I do enjoy playing epic.

Jemal

Adventurer
I've had one day off since my last post, so It's been a bit of a busy week(and my Co-dm is unlikely to be joining us, so its down to just me), but I figured since I go back to work again in.. 14 hours, I should get this up before I do. The starting post is what takes the most effort, so once its going I'll be able to keep up with the game despite work.

The IC thread is Ready, and as some of you may know, I like to start off with a bang. :D
http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/312098-gaming-w-jemal-war-gods-pt-1-a.html

Dharuhk - You're welcome to rejoin.

Myth - We actually hadn't started the game proper yet, we were doing an 'acid test' to test the characters combat potentials so I knew how to design encounters against them. I'm just starting up the first actual IC post (To Be Linked Above).

If you'd like to join, I'd be OK with that, but since I won't be able to acid-test your character, I'll need to give him/her/it a thorough going over and would like to know what his 'maximum potential' is. (IE how high can you get your AC/Attacks/Damage/etc when the character really tries).

As far as Ubercharger, I specifically dislike that type of build, and on similar lines, I've stated many times to the others that I run of the ideal of MAD - I try to restrain myself to using things no more powerful than the PC's are, but as soon as a PC breaks out something, I consider it fair game.
Basically, I design my encounters to challenge my PC's rather than just going "the book says this is a CR 40, so you fight it". If one of the pc's can deal thousands of damage, then I'll have enemies that can stand up to that, and return the favour.
Your call if you want to bring that upon the party, but I doubt they'd be very happy with you if you did. I prefer it when the party lies within a fair shot of each other in power level - some are more defensive, some more offensive, some have great utility, etc, but everybody has their place and none are so over-powered that they can 'do it themselves'.
To quote from myself earlier in this thread:
Don't be too worried about keeping in line with the other players, everyone SHOULD have their own unique strengths and weaknesses, just don't go overboard on pumping something. If any of your Attack/AC/Saves numbers has three digits, for example, it's probably too high...
Unless you can all swing such numbers in which case - Sweet, I can take off the gloves and throw the paragon pseudonatural half-draconic 3-headed tarrasquelich at you guys. j/k... mostly.

MY goal as a DM is the same it always is - to run a campaign I'd like to play in, where everybody (Myself included) has a challenging and enjoyable time telling a story together. As to the specifics for this game, and the specific story I'm aiming for this time, I'd suggest reading my first few posts in the thread.

So, now with no casting and no ToB allowed, I suppose I can finally play a Barb/Frenzied Berzerker/Bear Warrior/War Shaper/Something or other, actually the build is inspired by that one NPC you had in the Legends game.

I could also go for an assassin type character with SA but you'd probably disallow the actual Assassin class as it can cast spells (and some from the SC are very good). What about Shadow Dancer? The added mobility in a game where we can't teleport/fly/blink/abrupt jaunt around the battle field would be nice. Feats like Craven etc. can make for a good SA focused character.

Oh as a matter of fact, being an Epic game, how will we handle large-scale logistics and mobility? At this level everything should be flying around I suppose.
All of that sounds fine. Flight and/or speed enhancement is of course suggested, but not required (At least by me.. it's up to the party how they feel about other characters slowing them down/limiting their mobility). I also highly suggest some form of fast healing to recover between encounters. It can take a long time to recover 1000 HP of damage without magical intervention.

Last edited:

Remove ads