Gay Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
NPR this morning had a piece on the controversy of a Gay Pride Parade in Korea. I wonder if such parades are more harmful to gays than if they just openly lived "normal" lives. I mean, I came to be accepting of gays by seeing they are just normal people, rather than by seeing flamboyant, queer (weird) people parading in the public. When the media shows clips of any pride parade, they always show the most shocking examples of the culture on display, and that supports the idea that "those people are different than us normal people."

I'd be embarrassed if a Southern Pride Parade was just a chance for a bunch of ignorant, drunk rednecks to strut about living up to the negative stereotype.

Bullgrit

Joker

First Post
NPR this morning had a piece on the controversy of a Gay Pride Parade in Korea. I wonder if such parades are more harmful to gays than if they just openly lived "normal" lives. I mean, I came to be accepting of gays by seeing they are just normal people, rather than by seeing flamboyant, queer (weird) people parading in the public. When the media shows clips of any pride parade, they always show the most shocking examples of the culture on display, and that supports the idea that "those people are different than us normal people."

I'd be embarrassed if a Southern Pride Parade was just a chance for a bunch of ignorant, drunk rednecks to strut about living up to the negative stereotype.

Bullgrit

Nascar isn't a parade.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
NPR this morning had a piece on the controversy of a Gay Pride Parade in Korea. I wonder if such parades are more harmful to gays than if they just openly lived "normal" lives.

I don't think the pride parades are for you. Not everything a gay person does is about getting their acceptance among heterosexuals. Sometimes, they do things for themselves. And that's okay.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

Bullgrit

So... you'll be fine, just shut up and don't remind us you're here? I don't think that's directly what you're advocating, but it doesn't seem far off. I'm not gay so I can't speak for anyone who is gay who participates in pride parades, but I think there's a value in standing up and being visible when you've traditionally been closeted away. It forces society to show and, hopefully, confront its attitudes about the underprivileged group celebrating their very existence. It strikes at the very heart of privilege - the privilege those of us heterosexuals have to be as open with our sexuality as we want and that homosexuals traditionally haven't had.

If you think there are too many images of the excesses of flamboyance, and there may be, you should think about the media's role in all of this. They are in the business of drawing viewers so they can show them ads so they're going to show you whatever sensational stuff they think will draw your eyes to them rather than their competitors. So they show the most flamboyant stuff, and that also sells a narrative, particularly if the media outlet has an axe to grind. I'm reminded of the way some parts of the media portrayed pro-union protests here in Wisconsin back in 2011. A certain "news" network showed violent images of the purported protest (some of which I attended) but the image had palm trees in the background and I can assure you there are no palm trees growing around Wisconsin's capitol building. They wanted to deliberately sell a narrative to their viewers to keep their asses in their seats. The media will do that with gay pride parades too, so keep that in mind when you think you're seeing excessive flamboyance.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
NPR this morning had a piece on the controversy of a Gay Pride Parade in Korea. I wonder if such parades are more harmful to gays than if they just openly lived "normal" lives. I mean, I came to be accepting of gays by seeing they are just normal people, rather than by seeing flamboyant, queer (weird) people parading in the public.

What's wrong with being flamboyant in public?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Danny, have you seen analysis on what the legal basis for the ruling is? The article you linked seems to say the basic argument is the 14th amendment, "Equal Protection" clause.
Haven't had the time to look in depth- and I may not- but that is my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads