General Discussion Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

First Post
Bront said:
I said Take a 10, not DC 10.
Ok, now I'm confused. Without godlike intelligence, how can one pass a DC15 craft check untrained with a -2 penalty by taking 10? 10 - 2 + (Int Bonus) < 15! If Int is high enough and the DC is 10, then this makes sense. But not taking 10 on DC15. I think. :confused:

Bront said:
Isn't the focus a holy symbol?
Components: V, S, M, F
Material Component: Incense worth at least 25 gp
Focus: A set of marked sticks, bones, or similar tokens of at least 25 gp value

I don't know where he's going to get the incense (haven't checked the character sheet, maybe he's already got it on him), but we're just trying to deal with crafting the focus.

And this is a cleric-only spell, so yes, there is a focus for clerics, and it's not his divine focus.

Velmont

First Post
I looked at the DC of the craft skill:

Very simple item (wooden spoon) 5
Typical item (iron pot)10
High-quality item (bell) 15
Complex or superior item (lock) 20

Obviously, it isn't a DC:20. But for that kind of item, I am not sure. I would really think it is a DC:10. As I see it, most of these items are naturals items (you can't craft bones) and the craft skill is needed to marked them properly. I don't think marking them would be that hard that it would be a DC:15.

El Jefe

First Post
Yeah, I think you can talk me into a DC10. The biggest reason I was thinking DC15 was because essentialy, the "token" is just a pair of dice (or a set of marked sticks, or something similar). I was thinking an ordinary pair of dice would be a DC10, and wouldn't cost anywhere near 25 gp! 1 or 2 sp would be more like it. So what is a 25 gp pair of dice? Close to fine jewelry, I'd think. You know, little pieces of amber set into carved and polished granite, or something like that.

But I think you could also argue that most of the cost was due to raw materials, and it's pretty easy for me to rule that he's just picked up some very valuable stones along the way, and that it's a simple matter of marking (crudely) the very valuable stones.

Velmont

First Post
It might be the way you marked it. You take a few sticks of some century old oak, you create a painting made of mix ocre and ruby and paint it them. You dry the wood under some rare and costly incense to infuse the wood. Here you have your few marked sticks. Not very hard to do, just costly.

It is like when you wnat to make a masterwork armor. It could be a leather or a full plate mail in Adamantium, the DC is the same, but teh price range from 155 gp to 11500 gp...

Bront

The man with the probe
El Jefe said:
Ok, now I'm confused. Without godlike intelligence, how can one pass a DC15 craft check untrained with a -2 penalty by taking 10? 10 - 2 + (Int Bonus) < 15! If Int is high enough and the DC is 10, then this makes sense. But not taking 10 on DC15. I think. :confused:
bront said:
Actualy, the feat lets you make magic items. A focus is simply purchased unless you have the appropriate craft materials skill, or it's simple enough to take a 10 untrained with.
bolding added by me.
I didn't say you could do it, I said it's usually just purchased unless it's simple enough for you to make by taking a 10. In this case, I would guess it's not.

It is however, likely a DC 10 craft check, as it's fairly simple. As a GM, I'd be warry to allow a lot of crafting like this though without some skills, as it seems like a way to bypass the intent of having costly items as part of a spell. Of course, it would likely take 2-3 weeks to complete in a normal game as well (here it's only 3 CPs)

LogicsFate

First Post
wow this thread was far down...

Two things

Patlin Whatever happened to Buster Jack, cause if Valan has it he'll be sending you the gold he owes ya soon.

Liquid Blue Level 1 only? and I doubt anyone in the RDI right now has experience climbing.

On an additional note, everyone, keep an eye on the next adventure.
The Four Stooges and the eternally suffering paladin Go Spelunking. :lol:

LiquidBlue

First Post
LogicsFate said:
Liquid Blue Level 1 only? and I doubt anyone in the RDI right now has experience climbing.

On an additional note, everyone, keep an eye on the next adventure.
The Four Stooges and the eternally suffering paladin Go Spelunking. :lol:

LogicsFate, your character in the RDI, Valan, is a second level cleric, correct? I think he can find a place in the adventure.

Dungannon

First Post
LogicsFate said:
Patlin Whatever happened to Buster Jack, cause if Valan has it he'll be sending you the gold he owes ya soon.
I'm not Patlin, but I can answer this. :) Kerrz kept BusterJack in exchange for his share of the treasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads