General Discussion Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

First Post
Got a rules question here.

I really should have followed the discussions on crafting more closely. And I just read the section on crafting in the rules and mechanics thread, and I just can't quite get there.

I've got a character on one of my adventures who wants to craft a spell-specific divine focus. Cost of the item is 25 gp, which he has. He has no craft skills, but has the Craft Misc. Magic Item feat. And he wants to use craft points for this.

I don't recall if we allowed craft points to be used during an adventure, and I didn't see any mention of this in the rules and mechanics thread. Yet I have a nagging memory that we voted to allow this in some thread or other.

And does a(n otherwise mundane) divine focus item count as a Misc. Magic Item for the sake of this crafting, or is it just a type of mundane item that the character doesn't have the skill to craft? I'm just trying to keep my head from spinning as I follow along...

Patlin

Explorer
I believe most of that is up to you as the DM. You can use in-game time rather than craft points in an adventure.

The focus in question "A set of marked sticks, bones, or similar tokens of at least 25 gp value." doesn't sound terribly complicated, so you might choose to allow it. My personal practice, however, is that if you want to craft something during an adventure you ought to buy the specific materials needed before you leave town -- "Materials for scroll scribing, 200 gp worth" or something like that should be on your character sheet. Coins don't transform into marked sticks in the middle of the wilderness.

This isn't a magic item, either. However, an untrained craft(woodworking) and craft(caligraphy) check could produce marked sticks... No feat required.

Velmont

First Post
I agree with Patlin. It is up to your DM. Craft point is mainly for what is happening between adventure, as time have no substance in the RDI.

In my adventure, I have Cepheus who wanted to creaft two armor. I allowed him to use Craft points to build his own armor, but not the armor of Jik'tu. The reason was his armor, he migth had work on it since some time, and in the advneture, he just finish it. But there wasn't enough time he had met Jik'tu to consider he could have done teh same, and as a Full Plate Mail take time to craft, I didn't allowed him, I couldn't figure a way that it make sense, he will have to wait.

Now, can you craft an item without teh skill, that it is more about the item you need to craft. Even if it is a focus for a spell, if that focus is a two ring, you would need some jeweler or blackmsith skills, not a feat to create magic item. AT least, it is how I see it.

El Jefe

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I've been able to forge something workable, with a little help from the player in question.

Bront

The man with the probe
Actualy, the feat lets you make magic items. A focus is simply purchased unless you have the appropriate craft materials skill, or it's simple enough to take a 10 untrained with.

El Jefe

First Post
Really? Just a DC10 on the craft check? I was thinking that because it was worth 25 gp for what are basically, dice, that it would be DC15 to craft a high quality item (like a bell). If it's DC10, that would help the character get it done much sooner.

He'd be taking a -2 to the rolls because he doesn't have artisians tools, at any rate.

Velmont

First Post
I agree with Bront, that focus doesn't seems too complicated, and could easily be made, so DC:10 seems fine.

More refine focus, liked some rings (Shield Others) would be higher, or even more higher for a Jade Circlet (Shapechange).

Bront

The man with the probe
El Jefe said:
Really? Just a DC10 on the craft check? I was thinking that because it was worth 25 gp for what are basically, dice, that it would be DC15 to craft a high quality item (like a bell). If it's DC10, that would help the character get it done much sooner.

He'd be taking a -2 to the rolls because he doesn't have artisians tools, at any rate.
I said Take a 10, not DC 10.

Isn't the focus a holy symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads