• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ghostbusters (trailer)

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Yes, I agree with you in this Morrus. It sounded like Ghostbusters and it had quality effects besides that.

Plus the new twist on the theme was great.

Rune

Once A Fool
I know a lot of people have been panning the trailer for the new Ghostbusters. However, I recently went back and watched the trailer for the original film, and I was surprised at how bad it is. It can't make up its mind whether it's a horror trailer or a comedy trailer, and it ends up doing both poorly. And it's not as if it can't be done well. The trailer for the Ash vs the Evil Dead series was a great horror comedy trailer.

"They catch the ghosts that won't stay dead." That's an actual line said by a professional voice actor in the trailer. And it's not like it's the voiceover guy's fault. He didn't write that crap. And, he has a good voice for doing horror trailers: given the appropriate horror soundtrack in the background, I could easily see him narrating over the original Exorcist trailer.

Even worse, it's barely funny. There's maybe one moment where I half-chuckled at the trailer. The Little Shop of Horrors trailer, which is from the same time period, is far better.

By just about every possible comparison that I can conceive of, the new Ghostbusters trailer is better than the old one. Whether the new film will be good or not, only time will tell. The trailers for Dredd, and for Live, Die, Repeat made them look like crap, but I've heard they're actually quite good.

That trailer seemed pretty funny to me. It's humor was a lot more subtle than the new one, though...

MechaPilot

Explorer
That trailer seemed pretty funny to me. It's humor was a lot more subtle than the new one, though...

I know all entertainment is subjective, but Ghostbusters was a comedy movie (albeit with dramatic elements in certain moments), and a trailer for a comedy movie should make me laugh in order for me to think about going to see it. The trailer shouldn't leave me thinking "that was mildly more entertaining that the last commercial that was on."

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
There are some movies that are classic, they come together with story, music, visuals, casting and timing (right place, right time). This is why I do not think, reboots and re-visioning of classic movies work well. This has the appearance of a cast thrown together with jokes.

Ryujin

Legend
There are some movies that are classic, they come together with story, music, visuals, casting and timing (right place, right time). This is why I do not think, reboots and re-visioning of classic movies work well. This has the appearance of a cast thrown together with jokes.

I feel the same way and so, a few years back, swore off reboots/remakes (so I won't be seeing this movie ;) ).

MechaPilot

Explorer
To be fair though, it's not as if the cast of the original is what was originally intended. John Belushi was supposed to play Murray's part, until he died. And I've heard that Eddie Murphy was originally supposed to play Winston. Would have been a much different movie, filled with SNL alums, if they got what they originally intended to do. Speaking of which, aren't a lot of the female cast in the new film SNL alums?

In the end though, if a reboot or a sequel to any good film is bad, it's not like we really lose anything. I love the original Ghostbusters. If the new film sucks (I hope it won't), that's not going to tarnish my love for the two originals sitting on my DVD shelf. It's not like they're going to pull a Lucas and alter and reissue the originals and claim that the reissue is a purer form of the director's vision for the films.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
To be fair though, it's not as if the cast of the original is what was originally intended. John Belushi was supposed to play Murray's part, until he died. And I've heard that Eddie Murphy was originally supposed to play Winston. Would have been a much different movie, filled with SNL alums, if they got what they originally intended to do. Speaking of which, aren't a lot of the female cast in the new film SNL alums?

In the end though, if a reboot or a sequel to any good film is bad, it's not like we really lose anything. I love the original Ghostbusters. If the new film sucks (I hope it won't), that's not going to tarnish my love for the two originals sitting on my DVD shelf. It's not like they're going to pull a Lucas and alter and reissue the originals and claim that the reissue is a purer form of the director's vision for the films.

Well considering that Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis wrote and starred I reckon we already got the writers vision for the movie:)
albeit that Akroyds original draft was a very very different concept.

The original cast were largely SNL (Harold Ramis was an SNL writer with Akroyd) and as far as I know all four of the new ones have come through SNL too.

but yes the part was originally Belushis but was then rewritten (and Bill Murray was given permission to ad lib). Apparently Rick Moranis' character was originally written for John Candy and they had Paul Rubens in mind for Gozer. Akroyd had just worked with Eddie Murphy in Trading Places and had him in mind for the part but he was apparently too busy filiming Beverly Hills Cop. According to one report Winstons backstory originally had him as an Air Force demolitions expert but it was cut back in order to give Bill Murray more camera time.

I think that what makes the original good is the set up is an action horror but you put some very talented comedians in that and let them go. Bill Murray is of course one of the greatest ad libbers in show business and they all had great chemistry which made the original a classic. I think that this new bunch have comedic ability but the trailer makes it look like they are trying to make a comedy rather than just being comedians reacting to their setting.

lets see what happens...

Jhaelen

First Post
One thing that I think contributes so much to many sci-fi films which end up being classic favourites - Ghostbusters, Star Wars, etc. - is the sound.
I'm not sure if that's only true for sci-fi movies, but it's clearly true for several of my all-time favorites: Bladerunner, Alien, 2001. I actually watched several movies and tv shows just because I was interested in the soundtrack or musical score, e.g. There Will Be Blood (Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood), Les revenants (Mogwai).

It's also the best part I remember about the first 'The Crow' movie - I don't know how often I've listened to that soundtrack. It even led me to discover several bands that are now favorites of mine.

Unfortunately, too many movies and tv shows overdo it in the musical department. I recently watched a movie which had background music or songs in every single second. This was incredibly annyoing after a while and actually distracted me from the movie. Another bad example, at least for me, are the Lord of the Rings movies. I. just. cannot. watch. them. anymore. And just because of the musical score: if I never hear 'Frodo's' Theme' again it will be too early!

Ryujin

Legend
I'm not sure if that's only true for sci-fi movies, but it's clearly true for several of my all-time favorites: Bladerunner, Alien, 2001. I actually watched several movies and tv shows just because I was interested in the soundtrack or musical score, e.g. There Will Be Blood (Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood), Les revenants (Mogwai).

It's also the best part I remember about the first 'The Crow' movie - I don't know how often I've listened to that soundtrack. It even led me to discover several bands that are now favorites of mine.

Unfortunately, too many movies and tv shows overdo it in the musical department. I recently watched a movie which had background music or songs in every single second. This was incredibly annyoing after a while and actually distracted me from the movie. Another bad example, at least for me, are the Lord of the Rings movies. I. just. cannot. watch. them. anymore. And just because of the musical score: if I never hear 'Frodo's' Theme' again it will be too early!

I think that one of the worst mistakes a movie can make is to use a heavy handed soundtrack to tell you how you should feel, every minute of its run.

Remove ads