Giant Robots: Recommend me a system.

Treebore

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
Low complexity?

High Fun?

Pick up the True 20 book. One of the mini-campaigns is "Mecha vs. Kaiju."

It's True 20, so it's very low complexity, and it's high fun, because it's giant things beating the crud out of each other. :)

Yes, or give the Tri-Stat system a look. Great flexibility and they do have mecha specific rules available as well. Since the company is now defunct it may be harder, but cheaper, to find their books.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Or Space Ninja Cyber Crisis XDO from Crucible Games. It is very low complexity (easily less complex than any game so far mentioned), a whole ton of fun, and costs about $15 (US).

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I'd go with BESM d20 + d20 Mecha.

We're in a Spelljammer game right now, and the DM's using d20 Mecha for the ships. It seems to work okay; ships go, guns hit the other ship reliably, etc.

d20 Mecha does seem to be pretty crunchy. Maybe not GURPS Vehicles crunchy, but possibly approaching it.

Brad

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
I highly endorse Mekton Zeta with Plus if you like it extra crunchy. It is a bit old and dated and could use a facelift but it does Mecha very well in my opinion.

What I am waiting for is Green Ronins release of the Mutants and Masterminds Mecha & Manga sourcebook later this year. M&M is such an awesome game system and to have a book dedicated to Anime/manga is a dream come true!

Robotech isnt bad but you are kind of stuck with it as the rules dont lend well to adding your own content. Way yo much work IMO.

Heavy Gear is good as well but then you are stuck in the Heavy Gear world. Which, is one of the best mecha genre settings. They also have done Jovian Cronicles which is amazing as well.

I really wish there were more anime/mecha rpgs out there. but then, there would have to be more people who play them too... I was never able to find a good group who enjoyed them as I did.

Arkhandus

First Post
I'll just mention that you SHOULD NOT try using d20 Modern/Future, or the d20 Mecha SRD from Guardians of Order.

They don't fit your criteria as far as crunchiness and ease of play; you'll spend quite a while either determining the stats and abilities of each unit, or houseruling a lot of adjustments to balance the d20 Future mecha, starships, cybernetics, and robots. *Shudder* I tried the latter....and I still ain't nowhere near finished figuring out how to make it all balanced and useable together.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Systems in which I've played Mecha enjoyably:

HERO
Mekton
Mechwarrior
RIFTS (albeit highly house-ruled)

Systems I suspect would be good for Mecha (of some kind):

Mutants & Masterminds
Dragonmech
Iron Kingdoms
Godlike
Paranoia (Mongoose's version)

Slife

First Post
It's possible to mutate the Stronghold rules from the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook into mecha. You might want to add more speed categories (and update from 3.0), but aside from that the crunch looks like it would work rather well (at least, it seems to on paper.)

Remove ads