Give me the idea, I build the race

I couldn't think of a clean way to implement that. Hm...

Four Hands: You have four arms that are usable to grip objects. Therefore, you can hold an additional two-handed or two additional one-handed weapons (or other items). The additional items do not confer any magical or equipment benefits that require the item to be worn or carried.

However, once per turn you can switch hands as a free action, replacing the items you carry in your active hands with the additional items.

End of your turn, I'd say.

Also, I love your feats! Can you tell me a little bit about how you come up with them? I'd meant to include racial feats with all my entries here, but I've basically come up stumped because I've got a pretty shaky understanding of racial feats in general.
Well, there wasn't really a long process. I looked at the race, thought to mention that you might want the feats, and then I thought about what feats I would want and just wrote them down. ;)

One guideline might be:
- How can you build of one of the class racial abilities? What else might you envision someone being able to do with the power, or how could it be improved?
In this case, I thought that someone that is doing a lot of melee work might want to make a jumping charge. I limited it to Martial because I see this as requiring physical training.
Also, you can't just jump to places - you can jump on people!

But jumping also immediately made me thing of teleport. And I can kinda envision the Squid to create a teleportation portal and jump through it, gaining additional distance. (Strictly speaking though, my feat doesn't do this - it makes the entire jump a full teleport. Maybe that needs revisement?)

- What's unique about the physiology of the race? Can I build on that?
Most races don't have much, though horns, tails, claws all might give some room for that. The squid has its tentacles, of course that's good for grabbing.

- What's unique about the psychology or culture of the race?
Eladrin and Dwarves basically get their racial weapon proficiency feat for that reason - they use these type of weapons a lot.
I think there is some design space left for our squidy friends here, by the way. Perhaps some Psionic-related feats?

---

willows

First Post
Argos
Beholder-inspired guys for Bobdud

Ability Score: +2 Wis, +2 Cha
Size: Medium
Speed: 6
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Deep Speech
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 History
Defense Bonus: +1 Fort
All-Around Vision: Argotes have five to seven eyes evenly spaced around their skulls. As such, attacks against you receive only a +1 bonus for combat advantage.
Many-Eyed Monster: At the start of your turn, you can make a saving throw against each effect currently rendering you blinded or dazed. If you fail the saving throw, you do not make a saving throw against the effect at the end of your turn.
Ocular Radiance: You have the ocular radiance racial power.

Ocular Radiance — Argos Racial Power
Strange light bursts from your many eyes!
Encounter ♦ Psychic
Standard Action / Burst 1 within 5 squares
Targets: Each creature in burst.
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex.
1d6+Wis modifier psychic damage.
Increase damage to 2d6+Wis modifier psychic damage at 21st level.

Argos
Beholder-inspired guys for Bobdud

Ability Score: +2 Wis, +2 Cha
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Deep Speech
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 History
Defense Bonus: +1 Fort
All-Around Vision: Argotes have five to seven eyes evenly spaced around their skulls. As such, attacks against you receive only a +1 bonus for combat advantage.
Many-Eyed Monster: At the start of your turn, you can make a saving throw against each effect currently rendering you blinded or dazed. If you fail the saving throw, you do not make a saving throw against the effect at the end of your turn.
Ocular Radiance: You have the ocular radiance racial power.

Ocular Radiance — Argos Racial Power
Strange light bursts from your many eyes!
Encounter ♦ Psychic
Standard Action / Burst 1 within 5 squares
Targets: Each creature in burst.
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex.
1d6+Wis modifier psychic damage.
Increase damage to 2d6+Wis modifier psychic damage at 21st level.

I think they should get a bonus to Perception. Those eyes must be useful for that. Decide which is more important - historical traditions or magic - to these creatures and sacrifice one of the two skills accordingly.

The attack needs a bonus by level to compensate for the lack of magical bonuses. (+2/+4/+6 per tier is standard, though I wonder if one shouldn't also add the expertise feat bonuses). I would also improve the damage on 11th level, similar to Dragonborn Breath.
And it might deal psychic and radiant damage. Or that should be part of a feat?

Feats:
Burning Radiance
Prerequisite: Argos, Ocular Radiance
Your Ocular Radiance deals psychic and radiant damage and adds the radiant keyword. On a critical hit, the target is blinded until the end of your next turn.

See Sound
Prerequiste: Argos
You gain a +3 feat bonus to Perception. You ignore any penalties for deafness unless you are also blind.

Ocular Action
If you spend an action point, you can use your Ocular Radiance power as a minor action until the end of your next turn.

Superior Vision
Prerequisite: Argos
When you grant combat advantage, enemies do not gain a bonus to attack rolls and you gain low-light vision.

Insightful Eyes
Many-Eyed Monster also grants you a save against ongoing effects with the illusion effect, and you gain a +2 bonus to all saves.

Powerful Radiance
You roll d8 instead of d6 for damage with your Ocular Radiance power.

Ocular Telekinesis
You can use the Wizards Mage Hand cantrip as a minor action.
You can use Ocular Radiance as a Close Burst 1 power. If you do so, you gain a fly speed of 4 until the end of end of your current turn. If you don't end your flight on the ground, you crash.

Many Eyes See All
Prerequisite: Level 11, Argos
When making a Perception check, roll two dice and pick the higher result. You gain a +2 feat bonus to Initiative.

Revealing Radiance
Prerequisite: Level 11, Argos, Ocular Radiance
You gain Darkvision. When you use your Ocular Radiance power, until the end of your next turn, you can see all invisible creatures and ignore concealment and total concealment.

Radiance of Fear
Prerequisite: Level 11, Controller Role, Argos, Ocular Radiance
When you hit a target with your Ocular Radiance power, the target is also pushed 1+WIS squares. Until the end of its next turn, it costs one extra square of movement for every square to move closer to you. When you use this benefit, Ocular Radiance adds the fear descriptor.

Threatening Radiance
Prerequisite: Level 11, Defender Role, Argos, Ocular Radiance
When you hit a target with your Ocular Radiance power, it is also marked until the end of your next turn. The first time it makes an attack not including you until the end of your next turn, it takes 6+CHApoints of damage of the damage type your Ocular Radiance power inflicts. This damage increases to 9+CHA at 21st level.

Inspiring Stare
Prerequisite: Level 11, Leader Role, Argos, Ocular Radiance
Ocular Radiance targets only enemies in the burst. Allies in the burst can make a save against one effect a save can. Choose one bloodied ally in the square. This ally can spend a healing surge.

Focused Radiance
Prerequisite: Level 11, Striker Role, Argos, Ocular Radiance
You can target only one creature with Ocular Radiance. If you do so, the range of Ocular Radiance increases by 5 squares and it deals an additional die of damage.

Many Eyed Action
When you spend an action point, you recover your Ocular Radiance power if you have already used it during this encounter.

See Vibrations
Prerequisite: Level 21, Argos
You gain Tremorsense in a range of 5 squares.

A second idea.
Does the Argos have a beholder like central eyes or only eye stalks? A "fluff" inspired idea for me is: They don't have a central eye, or at least it is not functional. But there is some vestige of it, and there might be a Racial Paragon Path "Awakener of the Eye" that deals with recreating this eye. (And maybe an Epic Destiny about becoming a true Beholder.). The Encounter Attack Power might be something like "deal psychic damage, daze and enemy can only take basic attacks until the end of its next turn", the Daily might be the same as a Close Blast and the condition ending on a save. Utility power might be about seeing invisible creatures or about levitation.

They already have low light vision.

I think this race would probably have darkvision, but that's up to you.

Kudos

-Sporemine
Hehe, yeah I missed that, despite checking again. Then they should Darkvision with that feat. ;)

Superior Vision
When you grant combat advantage, enemies do not gain a bonus to attack rolls and you gain low-light vision.

Revealing Radiance
Prerequisite: Level 11, Argos, Ocular Radiance
When you use your Ocular Radiance power, before making any attack rolls and until the end of your next turn, you can see invisible creatures and ignore concealment and total concealment. If you hit an enemy with Ocular Radiance, he is visible to your allies and gains no benefits from concealment and total concealment against your allies until the end of your next turn.

willows

First Post
I think they should get a bonus to Perception. Those eyes must be useful for that. Decide which is more important - historical traditions or magic - to these creatures and sacrifice one of the two skills accordingly.
Thanks for the thoughts! You're right, I totally forgot about Perception. This whole entry was kind of sloppy and rushed, to be honest.
The attack needs a bonus by level to compensate for the lack of magical bonuses. (+2/+4/+6 per tier is standard, though I wonder if one shouldn't also add the expertise feat bonuses). I would also improve the damage on 11th level, similar to Dragonborn Breath.
And it might deal psychic and radiant damage. Or that should be part of a feat?

I'd go with Arcana and Perception for skills (History is kind of my fallback skill for any race with nerdy tendencies), and definitely adjust the attack to your specifications. I'd save radiant damage for a feat, since radiant's so useful and kind of divine-themed.

Superior Vision
Yeah, as discussed above I'd upgrade this to darkvision; I didn't grant that out of the gate because Wizards-provided monster PC races generally downgrade darkvision to low-light as well.

Many Eyed Action
When you spend an action point, you recover your Ocular Radiance power if you have already used it during this encounter.
Cool! Should this be paragon level?

Cool! Should this be paragon level?
Yes, it should.

You might want to describe the race in more detail? Is it really a ball with eyestalks or is it a humanoid with a head covered with eye stalks? (The former raises the question of movement? Is it hovering above the ground or is it using strong eyestalks? What does it use to manipulate objects)

willows

First Post
Okay, back to Flipguarder at the top of the list, and thoughts:

I'm just not sure about Illurien or treants. There's probably a way to do treants that is cool; I just haven't come around to it yet. For Illurien, I'd suggest maybe poaching some of the deva feats (or upcoming gith* feats and reskinning them as prophetic/knowledge-based rather than psychic or radiant, and attaching them to watersoul genasi. Keep the watersoul feats as well, and don't permit and of the extra manifestation-type feats. Done.

Ghosts follow. Bobdud, I might point out that these are built specifically to be cool for rogues (particularly if they're splashing in some necrotic effects somehow)

Ghost
Dead men tell no tales—or do they?

Ability Score: +2 Dex, +2 Cha
Vision: Normal

Languages: Special
Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Stealth
Undead Origin: Ghosts are the semi-corporeal remnants of living beings; as such, you are considered an undead creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Past Life: Select a race without the undead origin. For the purposes of the prerequisites of feats, paragon paths, and epic destinies, you are a member of the selected race. (This is just a revised version of the revenant's ability, taking into account the possibility of multiple undead races.) Furthermore, you receive languages as though you were a member of the selected race.
Ever-Living Ghost Body: You have a +5 bonus to saving throws against poison and disease effects.
Eyes of the Dead: If a creature adjacent to you takes necrotic damage, it grants combat advantage to you until the start of its next turn.

Choose a subtype:

Possessor Spirit
Subtle Possession: You have the subtle possession racial power.

Subtle Possession — Ghost Racial Power
You skein your soul into the body of your enemy, hindering him.
Encounter ♦ Charm, Fear
Standard Action, Ranged 5
Target:One creature
Attack: Cha +2 vs. Will
Increase to Cha +4 at 11th level and Cha +6 at 21st level.
Hit: The target is dazed and you are insubstantial (target's save ends both).
11th level: The target has a -2 penalty to his save.
21st level: The target has a -4 penalty to his save.
Special: If you move more than Wisdom modifier +3 (minimum 3) squares from the target, the effect ends.

Vengeful Spirit
Wailing Spirit: You have the wailing spirit racial power.

Wailing Spirit — Ghost Racial Power
You release an unearthly wail.
Encounter ♦ Psychic
Standard Action, Ranged 10
Hit: 1d6 psychic damage and push the target one square.
Increase to +4 and 2d6 damage at 11th level and +6 bonus and 3d6 damage at 21st level.

Physical Description
A ghost is the spirit of a dead creature. Their form is altered indelibly by the manner of their deaths: while those who died peacefully are often luminous, misty figures with subtle and calm expressions, those who died by violence sometimes carry their wounds for many years.

Universally, ghosts have long hair that drifts as though underwater, and in the dark wells of their eye sockets are dancing blue sparks. Even when their eyes are shut, they can be seen twinkling between their eyelids.

Feats

Heroic Feats

Poltergeist
Prerequisite: Ghost
You gain the at-will cantrips mage hand and ghost sound.

Funereal Privilege
Prerequisite: Eyes of the Dead
You gain the benefit of Eyes of the Dead whenever a creature adjacent to you uses a power with the necrotic keyword.

Lasting Privilege
Prerequisites: Eyes of the Dead, Funereal Privilege
The duration of the effect of Eyes of the Dead is changed to 'save ends.'

Distant Shroud Vision
Prerequisites: Wis 13, Eyes of the Dead
You can gain the benefit of Eyes of the Dead against creatures up to 5 squares distant, instead of adjacent to you.

Diaphanous Ghost
Prerequisite: Subtle Possession
You have concealment when you are insubstantial.

Distant Possession
Prerequisites: Int 13, Subtle Possession
You may move any distance from the target without ending your subtle possession.

Wracked Possession

Prerequisites: Cha 13, Subtle Possession
Your subtle possession has ongoing damage: 5 necrotic.

Bewildering Wail
Prerequisite: Wailing Spirit
When your wailing spirit hits, slide the target instead of pushing it.

Paragon Feats

Subtle Possession
Prerequisites: 11th level, Ghost, Vengeful Spirit
You can use subtle possession as an encounter power.

Wailing Spirit
Prerequisite: 11th level, Ghost, Possessor Spirit
You can use wailing spirit as an encounter power.

Hair-Raising Wail
Prerequisites: 11th level, Ghost, Wailing Spirit
When your wailing spirit hits, move the target Cha modifier squares instead of one.

Piercing Ghost Eyes
Prerequisites: 11th level, Eyes of the Dead, Distant Shroud Vision
When you gain combat advantage against a creature due to Eyes of the Dead, you also ignore its concealment.

Grand Possession
Prerequisites: 11th level, Subtle Possession
Creatures affected by your subtle possession are dominated by you.

Torturous Possession
Prerequisites: 11th level, Subtle Possession, Wracked Possession
Your subtle possession has ongoing damage: 10 necrotic (this replaces the benefit of Wracked Possession) and aftereffect: ongoing damage 5 necrotic (save ends).

I hope I've made these guys nasty enough without making them, um, broken. I'm pretty excited by the possession feats especially.

Sporemine

First Post
Okay, back to Flipguarder at the top of the list, and thoughts:

I'm just not sure about Illurien or treants. There's probably a way to do treants that is cool; I just haven't come around to it yet. For Illurien, I'd suggest maybe poaching some of the deva feats (or upcoming gith* feats and reskinning them as prophetic/knowledge-based rather than psychic or radiant, and attaching them to watersoul genasi. Keep the watersoul feats as well, and don't permit and of the extra manifestation-type feats. Done.

Ghosts follow. Bobdud, I might point out that these are built specifically to be cool for rogues (particularly if they're splashing in some necrotic effects somehow)

Ghost
Dead men tell no tales—or do they?

Ability Score: +2 Dex, +2 Cha
Vision: Normal

Languages: Special
Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Stealth
Undead Origin: Ghosts are the semi-corporeal remnants of living beings; as such, you are considered an undead creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Past Life: Select a race without the undead origin. For the purposes of the prerequisites of feats, paragon paths, and epic destinies, you are a member of the selected race. (This is just a revised version of the revenant's ability, taking into account the possibility of multiple undead races.) Furthermore, you receive languages as though you were a member of the selected race.
Ever-Living Ghost Body: You have a +5 bonus to saving throws against poison and disease effects.
Eyes of the Dead: If a creature adjacent to you takes necrotic damage, it grants combat advantage to you until the start of its next turn.

Choose a subtype:

Possessor Spirit
Subtle Possession: You have the subtle possession racial power.

Subtle Possession — Ghost Racial Power
You skein your soul into the body of your enemy, hindering him.
Encounter ♦ Charm, Fear
Standard Action, Ranged 5
Increase to Cha +4 at 11th level and Cha +6 at 21st level.
Hit: The target is dazed and you are insubstantial (target's save ends both).
11th level: The target has a -2 penalty to his save.
21st level: The target has a -4 penalty to his save.
Special: If you move more than Wisdom modifier +3 (minimum 3) squares from the target, the effect ends.

Vengeful Spirit
Wailing Spirit: You have the wailing spirit racial power.

Wailing Spirit — Ghost Racial Power
You release an unearthly wail.
Encounter ♦ Psychic
Standard Action, Ranged 10
Hit: 1d6 psychic damage and push the target one square.
Increase to +4 and 2d6 damage at 11th level and +6 bonus and 3d6 damage at 21st level.

Physical Description
A ghost is the spirit of a dead creature. Their form is altered indelibly by the manner of their deaths: while those who died peacefully are often luminous, misty figures with subtle and calm expressions, those who died by violence sometimes carry their wounds for many years.

Universally, ghosts have long hair that drifts as though underwater, and in the dark wells of their eye sockets are dancing blue sparks. Even when their eyes are shut, they can be seen twinkling between their eyelids.

Feats

Heroic Feats

Poltergeist
Prerequisite: Ghost
You gain the at-will cantrips mage hand and ghost sound.

Funereal Privilege
Prerequisite: Eyes of the Dead
You gain the benefit of Eyes of the Dead whenever a creature adjacent to you uses a power with the necrotic keyword.

Lasting Privilege
Prerequisites: Eyes of the Dead, Funereal Privilege
The duration of the effect of Eyes of the Dead is changed to 'save ends.'

Distant Shroud Vision
Prerequisites: Wis 13, Eyes of the Dead
You can gain the benefit of Eyes of the Dead against creatures up to 5 squares distant, instead of adjacent to you.

Diaphanous Ghost
Prerequisite: Subtle Possession
You have concealment when you are insubstantial.

Distant Possession
Prerequisites: Int 13, Subtle Possession
You may move any distance from the target without ending your subtle possession.

Wracked Possession
Prerequisites: Cha 13, Subtle Possession
Your subtle possession has ongoing damage: 5 necrotic.

Bewildering Wail
Prerequisite: Wailing Spirit
When your wailing spirit hits, slide the target instead of pushing it.

Paragon Feats

Subtle Possession
Prerequisites: 11th level, Ghost, Vengeful Spirit
You can use subtle possession as an encounter power.

Wailing Spirit
Prerequisite: 11th level, Ghost, Possessor Spirit
You can use wailing spirit as an encounter power.

Hair-Raising Wail
Prerequisites: 11th level, Ghost, Wailing Spirit
When your wailing spirit hits, move the target Cha modifier squares instead of one.

Piercing Ghost Eyes
Prerequisites: 11th level, Eyes of the Dead, Distant Shroud Vision
When you gain combat advantage against a creature due to Eyes of the Dead, you also ignore its concealment.

Grand Possession
Prerequisites: 11th level, Subtle Possession
Creatures affected by your subtle possession are dominated by you.

Torturous Possession
Prerequisites: 11th level, Subtle Possession, Wracked Possession
Your subtle possession has ongoing damage: 10 necrotic (this replaces the benefit of Wracked Possession) and aftereffect: ongoing damage 5 necrotic (save ends).

I hope I've made these guys nasty enough without making them, um, broken. I'm pretty excited by the possession feats especially.

Cool ghosts, good work.

Kudos

-Sporemine

Remove ads