Gloomhaven RPG Will Have More Than 600 Miniatures

A certain million-dollar crowdfunder

GHRPG_2_07bef3c7-3b65-4272-b9a6-9becb6fe0cb9_1000x.jpg

Crowdfunding on Kickstarter competitor Backerkit on June 20th, the official tabletop RPG of the popular Gloomhaven boardgame will come loaded with more than 600 miniatures.

There will be a core set of 250+ minis, with add-ons offering many more.

Miniatures tend to push Kickstarters into the upper echelons, and with Gloomhaven's existing following it seems likely that this will very easily (and quickly) join the million dollar Kickstarter club. Already 30,000 people have signed up to follow the campaign, and it's still two months away.

The RPG book and card set itself will contain 8 ancestries, 16 classes, plus backgrounds, skills, and attributes.

Clint_L

Hero
The minis are primarily meant for use instead of standees with the board games. In the board games, you can have between 4 and 10 instances of each monster, so of course you need 4-10 of each monster in the minis sets as well.
Yeah, I get that. It makes them less useful to someone like me, though, who primarily collects miniatures for playing D&D or similar games, such as Call of Cthulhu. When possible, I like having variety in my sculpts, not 6 identical miniatures. And these miniatures are very specifically designed for the Gloomhaven games, so it doesn't offer that same flexibility as, say, a Reaper KS. Thus, getting more than 600 miniatures is not that great a value for someone like me, who would want only one of each sculpt, with the exception of a few utility creatures (can always use a few more giant rats, for example).

I guess all I am saying is that, as a miniatures enthusiast, I had high hopes for this campaign, but when I saw what was actually being offered I was disappointed. I enjoy Gloomhaven, but not enough to want 600 miniatures just for it. Also, there are very few large/huge/gargantuan miniatures. I do think the quality looks good and I would love to paint many of these sculpts. So hopefully I can acquire some from the aftermarket.

Staffan

Legend
Yeah, I get that. It makes them less useful to someone like me, though, who primarily collects miniatures for playing D&D or similar games, such as Call of Cthulhu. When possible, I like having variety in my sculpts, not 6 identical miniatures. And these miniatures are very specifically designed for the Gloomhaven games, so it doesn't offer that same flexibility as, say, a Reaper KS. Thus, getting more than 600 miniatures is not that great a value for someone like me, who would want only one of each sculpt, with the exception of a few utility creatures (can always use a few more giant rats, for example).

I guess all I am saying is that, as a miniatures enthusiast, I had high hopes for this campaign, but when I saw what was actually being offered I was disappointed. I enjoy Gloomhaven, but not enough to want 600 miniatures just for it. Also, there are very few large/huge/gargantuan miniatures. I do think the quality looks good and I would love to paint many of these sculpts. So hopefully I can acquire some from the aftermarket.
And that's perfectly fair. Sometimes products on offer and the desires of individual customers don't match and then there's likely no deal to be made, and that's just how it goes sometimes.

I would point you toward the two Summons packages which have more unique minis and also (particularly for the Gloomhaven summons) more generically useful ones.

Remove ads

Remove ads