Going beyond the surface

When you get into a series be it a tv show,book or video game do you often get online and check out what the net has to offer on it? Like what does TVtropes or wikipedia or even the official website or the item's own wiki say?

Whenever I really get into something, I tend to first look up the tvtropes entry, and then if the person in charge has a blog or whatnot I go look at that then I check out wikipedia.

I just find it fun to learn more about something that whats on the surface.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'll do all of that stuff, only well after I've watched it. If I'm reading up on it as it's running, then I'm not that into it.

kimikodesu

First Post
Yeah if a show really interests me, then I want to know more about it - who the actors are and what else they have been in, more background story and things I have missed about things in the show, etc.

I don't really watch many shows, but the few I do, I definitely do a bit of research on them :)

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I sometimes check out to see what else the creaters/writers have done when I finish a season, to see if there's something else I should look at. And I double check to see if the actor(s) I recognize but can't place are who I maybe think they are.
If the show is based on a book or series of books, I'll look at those (found Dresden Files that way).
When it is based on a book, it is sometimes fun to find the differences and try to figure out why the decision was made.

On the flip side, if I really hate a show, I will find out what else the people have done to black-flag those.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Haha, that's pretty funny. I haven't quite done that yet ;)

Well, I keep finding new stuff to hate, don't I? And I do spot-check from time to time, just to make sure I'm not missing something good with different people over-riding the trouble-makers (and to make sure I have the blame properly assigned).

Elf Witch

First Post
I tend to pull out my i[pod and pull the tvtropes entry for the show or as you do i also put down the book and go and look.

I keep my cell phone near me so I am always grabbing it and going to Google. Especially if I am going nuts over an actor that looks familiar but I can't place. Before the internet it used to drive me nuts.

Janx

Hero
I tend to pull out my i[pod and pull the tvtropes entry for the show or as you do i also put down the book and go and look.

I don't look up tvtropes at all, and I certainly wouldn't for a show I liked.

TVtropes is like the hipster way of putting down things people like by pointing out how formulaic it actually is.

Remove ads