• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good rant on the news page

the Jester

Legend
Russ, I love and appreciate all the work you do to maintain this site. When you first took over from Eric I was worried that it would become something... I dunno, less cool than the old Eric Noah's 3eNaR site, but you kept the flame alive!

Thank you. If you need to walk away, then do so, but know that you are appreciated. If you're ever in my area, I'll take you out to dinner & drinks.

William Ronald

Explorer
Piratecat said:
If we ever say "d20 publishers ought to lick EN World's boots," and we're not playing a game of Paranoia at the time, then *I'M* out of here. Yeah, the site helps publishers -- and a lot of publishers help the site. As Emiricol says, we'd like a symbiosis and partnership with the folks who want to be here.

I think what folks don't see is that there are a lot of haughty, demanding publishers who sometimes forget and treat us like it's our duty to post uneditied every press release they give us... and they never give anything back to the site. I don't have a lot of patience for those folks.

I agree with you, Piratecat. I think on EN World first as a fan site with great news and features.

Mind you, I do understand about press releases having worked as a reporter. Too often, I saw press releases that provided little information and some people essentially wanted three pages of the paper for an item submitted to a "business briefs" column. Also, I have seen a share of haughty politicians and corporate executives, who reminded me of the phrase "petty kings of petty kingdoms."

I think Morrus has a right to be angry, but that he may have unintentionally hurt the feelings of people who respect him. I hope that the current problems can be resolved with some honest dialogue. I saw a major blowup on another message board resolved when different parties apologized to each other and had the courage to admit where they erred. Perhaps Morrus and the publishers can work their way past their differences. I think that EN World benefits fans and publishers, and perhaps it is time to remember that there are good people on both sides of the debate. Mark Clover, MEG Hal, Mark Plemmons, Sean K. Reynolds and many other people in the gaming industry have done a lot for EN World. I have a great deal of respect for them and their work. Perhaps it is best to remember that we can do more together than we can do separately.

rigur

First Post
Well lets not forget that we need the publishers as much as they need us. But as in all relationships communication is needed to keep the relationship healthy and if one part in the relationship feels that they are beeing mistreated the only way to solve the problem is to speak up about it.

R.

rigur said:
Well lets not forget that we need the publishers as much as they need us.
To which I respectfully reply: say what? I could never buy another book again and I'd shed no tears. I've got at least twice as much game information as I'll ever need (and I'm far less of a slavish consumer than many here).

There's always a few products coming down the pipe that I'd like. There's a couple publishers that I feel a certain customer loyalty towards. But I don't need any of 'em. They need me and my dollar a lot more than I need them.

Piratecat said:
I think what folks don't see is that there are a lot of haughty, demanding publishers who sometimes forget and treat us like it's our duty to post uneditied every press release they give us... and they never give anything back to the site. I don't have a lot of patience for those folks.
Who are these jerks, P-kitty? Lemme at 'em! I'll murdalize the joint!

Chaz

First Post
Hey Morrus, I think this is the first time ive posted(or looked at?) another forum other than the software forum. I just wanted to let you know I realy enjoy Enworld and look forward to visiting it as often as possible for the latest D&D news.

I dont blame you for taking a stand and posting that rant. I had no idea things were like that for you. I can guarentee you that I would have lost my cool in such a situation long ago...

Keep up the geat work. Your efforts are not wasted. Many people, like me, who are just fans and not publishers would miss ENworld if it wasnt around. And the D&D community as a whole would be poorer without it. :)

Peace man. And I hope things get better soon.

Chaz.

PlotDevice

First Post
Appreciation

I think it best if I merely state the facts.

As a new pdf only publisher based in Sydney, Australia, I am almost entirely reliant upon sites like enworld to get the message out about what I am doing. The stats I look at on RPGnow indicate that fully 25% of the sales I have had so far have come from people pointed to my stuff from enworld directly. I am sure that the actual numbers (cookies being what they are) are higher.

I pay nothing for advertising, or membership, as I just don't have the money at the moment. But the availability of this site helps to fill the otherwise empty hole I would be sitting in, with my ideas unheard and unavailable.

So, if it hasn't been heard enough, please hear it again. This place rocks. You guys rock. And many thanks for everything.

Warm regards,
Evan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Chaz said:
Hey Morrus, I think this is the first time ive posted(or looked at?) another forum other than the software forum. I just wanted to let you know I realy enjoy Enworld and look forward to visiting it as often as possible for the latest D&D news.

I dont blame you for taking a stand and posting that rant. I had no idea things were like that for you. I can guarentee you that I would have lost my cool in such a situation long ago...

Keep up the geat work. Your efforts are not wasted. Many people, like me, who are just fans and not publishers would miss ENworld if it wasnt around. And the D&D community as a whole would be poorer without it. :)

Peace man. And I hope things get better soon.

Chaz.
Yeah, yeah, I get it - I'll fix your front door! :D

[Little NWN joke, there.]

James Heard

Explorer
If anyone is going to do any bootlicking, is there a line for that or something? Because bootlicking is what I'm all about - getting my boots licked just does it for me.

PlotDevice

First Post
If anyone is going to do any bootlicking, is there a line for that or something? Because bootlicking is what I'm all about - getting my boots licked just does it for me.

Never before has the irony of a poster's sig file been more aparent. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads