• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Greyhawk 4e: Back to the Beginning...

Revan89

First Post
changing

Ok I know that everyone seems to think that 4e is great. I have to admit it is easier for new players than the classic AD&D that I love and cherish, but why change Greyhawk? and really Greyhawk got replaced by the Realms in third edition. no one even plays ravenloft and greyhawk anymore except us diehard AD&D players. If they go back and wipe out all that has happened to Greyhawk and the other settings and put in the new races then I will be sorely disappointed in WotC. Gary Gygax is rolling over in his grave because of what WotC is doing to D&D. I have actually met Gary Gygax and he wasn't happy with what happened to Greyhawk in 3e so I am sure this would make him cringe.

Last edited:

Revan89

First Post
Ok I know that everyone seems to think that 4e is great. I have to admit it is easier for new players than the classic AD&D that I love and cherish, but why change Greyhawk? and really Greyhawk got replaced by the Realms in third edition. no one even plays ravenloft and greyhawk anymore except us diehard AD&D players. If they go back and wipe out all that has happened to Greyhawk and the other settings and put in the new races then I will be sorely disappointed in WotC. Gary Gygax is rolling over in his grave because of what WotC is doing to D&D. I have actually met Gary Gygax and he wasn't happy with what happened to Greyhawk in 3e so I am sure this would make him cringe.

Jack99

Adventurer
Screenshot or it didn't happen!

rkwoodard

First Post

So, he was happy with what TSR did with Greyhawk after he left? I would find that....odd

I don't think Gygax would be happy with any treatment of Greyhawk. But moving it back to the beginning but adding new races seems to be a lesser sin that what could be done in the name of Greyhawk.

RK

coyote6

Adventurer
no one even plays ravenloft and greyhawk anymore except us diehard AD&D players.

Hey, that's not true (at least about Greyhawk). I'm GMing 3.5e D&D, and it's in Greyhawk. Most of the 3e D&D I ran or played was set in Greyhawk.

Heck, with the D&D game wrapping up, I've started thinking about the next campaign; I asked the players about it last session, and they voted "GURPS Post-Apocalypse Fantasy". So now Greyhawk is in the running to be the setting, after the application of a suitable apocalypse.

I'm not sure I could care less about Ravenloft, though. :)

Baron Opal

First Post
...but why change Greyhawk?

Bacause:
  • I would like some of the mechanics updated to 4e.
  • My copies of the original Gazetteer are long gone.
  • I never bought the boxed set in the first place.
  • I would really like to have a codified collection of Greyhawk lore in one or two easy to read books.
  • I would rather buy a shiny new Player's and Campagin guide than buy a beat up copy on eBay.
  • I am completely uninterested in the 2e developments.
  • I have the disposable income to do so.

the Jester

Legend
Bacause:
  • I would really like to have a codified collection of Greyhawk lore in one or two easy to read books.
  • I would rather buy a shiny new Player's and Campagin guide than buy a beat up copy on eBay.

Hey, me too! :D

JohnBiles

First Post
Bacause:

Wow, it's like someone cloned me! (Though I do have the box set...in a box...in Kansas.)

Remove ads