• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Greyhawk 5e

JeffB

Legend
IMO, Roger Moores The Adventure Begins, is the much better post FTA Greyhawk campaign starter. The LGG is a big boring History lesson, and there is precious little adventure material.TAB keeps the history to a useful minimum and is a great DM resource for actually creating GH adventures and campaigns.

If the FTA time line does not bother you, it is one of the best campaign setting core book/box ever published for any setting AFAIC. Carl knocked it out of the park, especially given the material he had to work with from the WARS box. But most GH fans hated the whole WARS thing and Carl never got the Kudos he deserved. Had it been any other setting but GH, people would have loved it.

YGHMV.

Henrix

Explorer
I'm not really a fan of the Living Greyhawk books either.
Fairly bland and, just that, a gazetteer.

From the Ashes is a lot more interesting, and full of grimdark story ideas.

qstor

Adventurer
I think the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is great too. Check out the Paizo Greyhawk maps too. They're great. There's also a lot of content on the web that you should be able to use. The Greyhawk The Adventure Begins is a good introduction to the City of Greyhawk that you might want to pick up, if your campaign is set in the city.

I'm running a 5e Greyhawk game too. I've taken some tips from a post on the Internet I found about adding dragonborn into the setting. I'm also allowing tieflings as a race.

Mike

qstor

Adventurer
I'm not really a fan of the Living Greyhawk books either.
Fairly bland and, just that, a gazetteer.

From the Ashes is a lot more interesting, and full of grimdark story ideas.

The LGG has a lot of starting material though IMHO. From the Ashes is good too but can be expensive for a hard copy.

Mike

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I think the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is great too. Check out the Paizo Greyhawk maps too. They're great. There's also a lot of content on the web that you should be able to use. The Greyhawk The Adventure Begins is a good introduction to the City of Greyhawk that you might want to pick up, if your campaign is set in the city.

I'm running a 5e Greyhawk game too. I've taken some tips from a post on the Internet I found about adding dragonborn into the setting. I'm also allowing tieflings as a race.

Mike
Can you post a link to the "adding Dragonborn" material. I'm starting a new 5e Greyhawk campaign myself (ran a long campaign in greyhawk for 2e and 3e but had been running Eberron recently). One of my players really wants to play a dragonborn. I have some ideas, but would be glad to see some more.

mcintma

First Post
If the FTA time line does not bother you, it is one of the best campaign setting core book/box ever published for any setting AFAIC. Carl knocked it out of the park, especially given the material he had to work with from the WARS box. But most GH fans hated the whole WARS thing and Carl never got the Kudos he deserved. Had it been any other setting but GH, people would have loved it.

YGHMV.

You are not alone!

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Just play Greyhawk as it was intended: the 1st boxed set, never be fooled by that: Wars, Time of Troubles/Spellplague, Age of Mortals, Prism Pentad, Grand-junction, Unhuman War II, Faction War, malarkey, with busybody writers ruining settings.

Warunsun

First Post
I never ran characters through the actual Greyhawk Wars events but I did use and do like From the Ashes. I still reference FTA when running Greyhawk but generally use the post Great Northern Crusade timeline where a lot of the fiends have been banished and some of the lands have been recovered. Heck, I still refer to my Greyhawk Folio when I am looking interesting things up. I think the 591 timeline is an awesome place to start. I have pondered using the 576 timeline from the original folio/boxed set for my next Greyhawk go-around but most of my players have lived through so many of the iconic adventures that it might seem strange to be playing before many of the famous events/adventures that they know. For my 4E Greyhawk campaign I advanced the timeline through the year 601 and melded a bit of the Nentir Vale locations over the World of Greyhawk. They had fun and played up to 30th level but botched a very important skill challenge at the end of the 4E campaign where a certain demon gained great power. I am unlikely to return to that alternate timeline version of Greyhawk but it was fun for a change and it was interesting to see a powerful epic party actually screw up. :)

Remove ads