Greyhawk - Return of the Slavelords! Part 1

johnsemlak

First Post
Philo - Human Paladin

Philo moves between himself and some kids, shielding them as best he can.

I'm not sure what my options are; I assume I will not be allowed a saving throw as I am willingly putting myself in the path of hte spell. If it had any game effects, I would turn my back to spell effect and try to keep low. Basically, my actions will be entirely defensive.

Someone

Adventurer
"MURDERER!! DIE!!" shouts Norbac, while stabbing with his now huge spear. His voice, altered by the size grow, carry a growl of hate for the heartless wizard.

[Enlarged, striking someone at 20 feet shouldn´t be problem for an enlarged Norbac wielding a longspear. If possible, he´ll also move to threaten some evil archers so he can make an AoO when/if they shoot, and cover the villagers.

Bonus attack is 10-1(size)+1(incresed Str)+1(bless, morale bonus)=+11, +11=hits AC 22. Damage is 2d6+8=18. Norbac´s AC is 19-1(size)-1(decreased Dex)+2(shield of faith)=19.

Spells active: Bless, Shield of faith, and Bull´s Strenght (Geena) ]

Karl Green

First Post
[occ]Yes, johnsemlak, if you don't take a saving throw vs. the this spell, I will allow you to save a number of kids; Someone, you cast your Enlarge this round, you I assume your strike is for next round…[/occ]

Updated round 1 (already gone)
Philo 21
Verrick 18
Norbac
and Evil guy talking 17
Crossbow men 16
Lorien 12
Geenaa 9
Defrel 7
Refleev 5

...the spell cast by the evil mage slams into the crowd, just as Philo moves to protect a number of the children...
Verrick Reflex save 12 +7 =19, just makes it; with Evasion takes no damage; most of the crowd is in the cone of ice and frozen rain damage total is 29 points of damage
...freezing about 2/3rd of them. Verrick is able to dodge behind one of the pillars and escapes any affects of the blast. Philo manages to save 3 kids although he takes much of the frozen blast, his faith and strength save his life! The wizard's snares and flies up out of the hole, just barely visible.
Verrick spellcraft 14 +10, the evil mage cast Cone of Cold but in a way that is not a normal casting… it was almost a natural ability of the wizard!

The crossbow men aim down at the remaining villages, but one of them thinks twice about it and retreats back out of sight. The other three (including the deafened one) attack down into the crowd…
Attack roll total 21, 12, and 11 -4 =7; two crossbow bolts strike into people below
…striking an older man and a woman barely a woman and causing them to scream and fall back onto the ground bleeding.

Lorien rushes into the room and fires an arrow at the retreating wizard, striking him in the leg. There is a snare and the mages hate filled eyes lock on the ranger's just a second. A shadow seems to pass over the dark mages face for a second and Lorien thinks that just for a second the mage has a two short horns sticking up out of his forehead, that he teeth are huge and almost orc like, and skin turns blue… but then it is back to normal… it must just have been a trick of the lighting. Firing his other two arrows, the first strikes a pillar where one of the crossbow men is seeking cover, while the last arrow strikes the deafened crossbow men in the shoulder causing him to cry out in pain. He does not fall, but the arrow strike looks quit deep.

Geenaa screams in rage and rushes into the room. No one is within range of her flail, but she sees a shaky looking staircase in the back of the room, so she runs up that at full speed…
Reflex save, as the stairs are not in good shape, 15 +6 (kind of a trap), easily making it over the broken parts
…making it up and around the corner (double move).

Defrel draws his MW Dagger and throws it at one of the crossbow men…
Attack roll 11 +9 +1 +1 =22, a hit; Damage is 3 +2 =5 points
…striking him a glancing blow on his left arm. The slaver snares and while re-loading his crossbow looks down at Defrel and says "I'll kill you for that dog!".

Refleev follows Geenaa up the stairs (not as far though)…
Reflex save 9+6 =15, just making it
…and is about half way up the stairs.

Conditions

Refleev has 46HP (out of 61)
Philo has 14 (out of 56)
Lorien has 36 (out of 50)
Geenaa has 59 (out of 80)
Norbac has 32HP (out of 56)
Verrick has 20HP (out of 28)
4 crossbow men (one defended)
One tall gaunt wizard-looking guy, floating in the air
Defrel has 29HP (out of 46)

Round 2
Philo 21
Verrick 18
Norbac and Evil guy talking 17
Crossbow men 16
Lorien 12
Geenaa 9
Defrel 7
Refleev 5

Philo stands again and sees the evil mage out the window and some 60ft away. The crossbow men above are still raining bolts down on the hapless villagers so he tries to strike the bolts away to save those he can.

The dark wizards starts flying up and out of sight but not before he says "You have cost me you fool, my master will have revenge… you and your little god will pay!!"

Norbac rushes in (the dark mage is already 60ft away from last round) and has to settle for one of the crossbow men instead, his great thrust catches one of them in the chest, lifting him off the ground and throwing him back where he crumbles onto the floor limb and without life…

There are only two crossbow men left now, one of them fires a blot at Defrel, while the deafened one turns on Geenaa…
Against Defrel attack roll total 13, a miss; Attack roll against Geenaa total 21 -4 =17 a hit as she is in-raged; damage total is 7
…the first misses, the second grassing along one of Geenaa's legs

Lorien fires up at the crossbow men attacking Defrel…
4 +10 +1 =15, miss; 8 +10 +1=19 miss; final arrow 19 +5 +1 =25 hit; Damage 1d8 +3 =2 +3= 5points
…and while they have good cover, his last arrow takes the man a slashing cut along his cheek. He cries out in pain and scares…

Geenaa smashes into the deafened man who hit her…
Attack roll natural 20! follow up 12 +14 +1 =25 crit; Damage is 4 +5 +16 (bull strength) =25 points of damage
…hitting him so hard that it almost takes his head off with Smasher and knocking the body off the balcony and down to the floor below where it lands with a wet slap!

Defrel throws another dagger at the last crossbow men (who does not seem to be surrendering, he knows that he is facing a hanging offence, not much to surrender for)…
Attack roll 13+ 9 +1 =23 hit; damage is 4+3=7 points
…taking him in the throat! He falls back dead.

Combat is in affect over. One of the crossbow men fled, but Lorien could track him down before he could escape. When he is at the wall, he sees no sigh of the flying wizard but from behind one of the hills he does see a dust cloud…riders maybe two hours away. Some of the villagers shot with bolts can survive if stabilized, in the end about 3 children, 3 women and 2 men are saved out of 16. These people are weak though, and should rest for a while if possible. The frozen ones are dead...very, very dead.

Actions? What next??

Scotley

Hero
Verrick Human Rogue/Wizard

"I think once we get these people ready to travel we've done all we can here. I don't fancy a visit to the local lord's dungeon. The sooner we get moving the better." Verrick sets about comforting the survivers as best he can.

wysiwyg

First Post
Lorien, Human Ranger

"Quick, we must move before the second wave hits us." Lorien rushes down from the wall and describes the dust trail he saw in the distance, about 2 hours ride from here. "Let's get everyone back in the wagon and head out, maybe we can reach back to our side of the border before they catch up to us. We can load the wounded in the wagon - it's going to be a rough ride but it's their only chance. Verick, we might need a source of light to drive through the night. Norbac, can you cast a spell that will rejuvinate the beasts pulling the wagon? If you cannot, we'll have to ride them till they drop - better the animals then these poor souls."

djrdjmsqrd

First Post
Defrel, Male Human, Thief

"I agree with Verrick, we must move as fast as we can..." We need to get these things done!

"Let us start moving and plan as we act!"

djrdjmsqrd

First Post
Defrel, Male Human, Thief

"I agree with Verrick, we must move as fast as we can..." We need to get these things done!

"Let us start moving and plan as we act!"

Karl Green

First Post
Outside, Lorien and Refleev manage to calm the two big goat like draft animals and get them over to the big wagon and can hook them up. There are also 5 other horses tied up out back also, that can be rounded up and moved toward the front.

Philo, Norbac and Geenaa get the villagers outside without to many problems. They are still crying but also thanking the party for the rescue.

Defrel and Verrick do a quick search and find a crude shrine in a room just off where the villagers where being kept. It has dull white ruff gem like rock as the centerpiece, being clucked by a dragon like statue. It has a bag feeling to it. There are also a couple of small locked chests under a bed that they can grab and take with them.

Outside, with Refleev and Lorien acting as coachmen, they are able to get the foal tempered beasts out and moving back up the opposite hill where the dust cloud is forming and out of the valley. Back into the winding hills, the animals don't seem to be to bothered by pulling the heavy cart and keeping a good pace. As the day wanes and darkness slowly comes upon the group, they make it out into the wide valley… and a fairly large group of horsemen hold up just at the mouth of the valley. Weapons are draw, and arrows nocked, when Refleev calls for a hold… it is a troop from Minaryn Castle, Dame Messalina at the front!

Just as the group meets up, the riders from the east appear and form up within the hills… it almost appears there might be a fight, but the side are of fairly equal size and the local baron does not seem to be that interested in an 'fair fight' and the withdraw.

Dame Messalina, mounted on a white stallion, and wearing silver half-plate armor salutes you all and says "Hail and most welcome heroes of the Mark! I am most welcome for you, the service you have done my people and me… I cannot repay. Please let us retire to my hold. The feast awaits us… and the good people here that you have saved are most welcome at my table. I swear that I will help you re-build. Please let us return…"

Part 1 is mostly wrapping up. Any thoughts, questions, ideas that you might want to investigate?

BIG NOTE that I will be leaving out of the country to visit my in-law this Thursday (the 9th) and will not be back until Oct 7th or so (might stop off in Hong Kong to visit another in-law and not sure how long we will be staying). Anyway I will not be on-line much due to this fact. I am going to try and get this game all wrapped up for this first part in the next day. Part 2 will start when I return… the whispers of slave lords are slowly making their way in the lands of Greyhawk, who are they and where will they strike next?

The chests recovered from under the dark priests room are trapped but easily enough they are by pasted (not magically trapped). Inside are a couple of journals, some recorded keeping legers, some ceremonial robes that are black and gray, and two fairly good sized bags of gold and silver (a total of 513gp and 200sp, with five gems each worth 50gp)

wysiwyg

First Post
Lorien, Human Ranger

Lorien reads through the journals found while riding in the wagon. He tries to ascertain where the slavers usually drop off their victims, who the buyers are, etc.

OOC: Going for a month! OOOUCH!

Anyways, I suppose the group will sell the loot and split the money or items evenly. How much will that come to? What about XP?

Scotley

Hero
Verrick Human Rogue/Wizard

occ: Karl, have a great trip, I am enjoying the game very much and look forward to when you resume. Verrick will want to try and id the magic we have found and look into the statue/shrine we saw. He will look for references in the libarary once we return to Dame Messalina's keep. Also, look for anything on beings with a cone of cold ability. Verrick would also like a look at the journal. I am in favor of an equal treasure split as well.

Remove ads