• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Halflings are the 7th most popular 5e race

Vaalingrade

Legend
Dexterity, often called the 'Donkey stat' for it's lack of use. If only it added to initiative, damage, AC, battlemaster DCs and one of the three major saves like Strength. Suffice to say, I disagree.
Dex is a good stat. That's a given. I didn't say it wasn't.

But it isn't the end all be all and still doesn't help when you literally cannot wield good weapons.

Tutara

Adventurer
Dex is a good stat. That's a given. I didn't say it wasn't.

But it isn't the end all be all and still doesn't help when you literally cannot wield good weapons.
Eh? I'm holding a shortbow that does 1d6+10 + Dex damage with Sharpshooter (and unlike a greataxe, each +1 to hit is also +1 to not get hit because it's plus AC). That's fab. You could argue that a longbow is better, but you yourself have argued that going one bigger on the dice is neglible, unless you're suddenly a fan of Flex?

Vaalingrade

Legend
Eh? I'm holding a shortbow that does 1d6+10 + Dex damage with Sharpshooter (and unlike a greataxe, each +1 to hit is also +1 to not get hit because it's plus AC). That's fab. You could argue that a longbow is better, but you yourself have argued that going one bigger on the dice is neglible, unless you're suddenly a fan of Flex?
When I think playing a fighter, I am not trying to shoot bows. That is what rogues and sometimes rangers are for.

Though I do appreciate how quickly 'fan of Flex' became an insult. Kudos on that. Unironically.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
You didn’t read the rest of the post, did you?
....yes, I did. I did not consider it relevant, because you were drawing comparisons between the official DDB data (which, contrary to your assertion, does not put the dwarves that high--indeed, dwarves had been falling in popularity over time) and the scraped data. Which my whole assertion is that we can't do that, because this data is necessarily unrepresentative, taking in a whole crapload of experimental/unplayed characters that have no actual relevance to what people want/like/play.

I flat-out reject the idea that experimental characters reflect what people like. They reflect what people are curious about. The two are RADICALLY different things. I've been curious about a number of things that I absolutely, positively would never do, not just in gaming but in all sorts of things.

Interest =/= popularity. Period.

Tutara

Adventurer
When I think playing a fighter, I am not trying to shoot bows. That is what rogues and sometimes rangers are for.

Though I do appreciate how quickly 'fan of Flex' became an insult. Kudos on that. Unironically.
You can make up your own arbitrary limitations if you want. My fighter is an excellent archer, like Yennenga, Rama, or even Lu Bu.

It appears you've missed the thrust of my comment on Flex though. The insult - if any - would be pointing out your inconsistency in argument, rather than whether or not you liked a particular mastery. I'd prefer you not characterise it as such, though. It wasn't intended to be insulting.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The DDB folks have said many times that they use the buttons and widgets on the sheet being used to determine if a character is actually being used.

Yes. But this person isn't official D&D Beyond. They used python to gather the data from DDB themselves, which may have simply included existence of the characters. We don't know if they have access to the "active use" data that DDB uses when they officially report such stuff.

Remove ads