• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Halo 3

Vocenoctum

First Post
The true warrior knows when to run atop the raging flood, rather than wading through the rampaging waters.

Also, if you PLAN fleeing, then doing it is merely good planning, rather than any sort of defeat.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm curious - looking at preview video clips on the various gaming websites it looks very much like 'run around shooting at things' in the same genre as doom and quake (but with somewhat better graphics).

What does it offer beyond that?

I've only ever played the 1st level of Halo 1 back when it was released, and haven't seen any of them since then, so I'm probably unaware of lots of stuff.

Cheers

Steel_Wind

Legend
Halo 3 is a third of a great game.

What's there is, is awesome. There just happens to be woefully too little of it.

I will not be buying another Bungie title. Something that can be finished in 9 hours is a waste of money - especially considering he size of the the dev team, its budget and the money flowing back to MS.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, Halo is basically to the bald space marine FPS genre, what C&C and Warcraft are to RTSs. Maybe nothing new, but it does it really well, particularly multiplayer. At least compared to other console FPSes.

PC Gamers probably wouldn't be overly impressed. It's sort of like Halo 2 was - it got released on the Xbox, got rave reviews. When when it came out on PC 2 years later earlier this year (using advanced Vista only technology, heh), everyone yawned and it got mediocre reviews. Part is the time difference, of course, but also is simply more and better competition on the PC.

John Crichton

First Post
Steel_Wind said:

What's there is, is awesome. There just happens to be woefully too little of it.

I will not be buying another Bungie title. Something that can be finished in 9 hours is a waste of money - especially considering he size of the the dev team, its budget and the money flowing back to MS.
Sounds like a little bias at play here. Care to elaborate?

jonathan swift

First Post
Steel_Wind said:

I'd agree, but then if Halo was multiplayer only, I'd still buy it. Online play is just that fun.

frankthedm

First Post
When my RPG group is not gaming, we usually play halo.

The Forge options really add a lot to the game. Should have been a full on editor, but this is the most halo has given us.

The speed boosting options really let a group balance tactics and methodology with cHAoS.

+200% toughness, low gravity and only swords make for an AWESOME wuxia air battles.

Plane Sailing said:
I'm curious - looking at preview video clips on the various gaming websites it looks very much like 'run around shooting at things' in the same genre as doom and quake (but with somewhat better graphics).

What does it offer beyond that?
A very solid control set for a bunch of friends to play a FPS on. IME the "rules" and controls of the game mesh very well.

Halo is the game if you have friends that like FPSs.

Also, something about the Halo graphics make it one of the few FPS games that do not give me HORRID motion sickness.

Remove ads