• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help on a melee monk build?

Stone Dog

Adventurer
Rkhet said:
Here's a different take:

Monk 7||Druid 5/Warshaper 2.

Or, if the DM is willing to relax the monk multiclass restrictions:

Monk 5/Warshaper 2||Druid 7

Dumpstat your physicals (except, with the new rules, Con). Fight in your alternate form. Warshaper grants awsome bonuses.

The lack of BAB is made up by better Strength and many, many attacks.
MONKEY KING! :D Awesome!

Rkhet

First Post
Heh. Somebody quoted me before I edited my post.

Check the new build. A little more twinky. The older one won't work because you can't qualify for Warshaper 2 on Monk 5 (Not enough BAB.)

kerbarian

Explorer
Rkhet said:
Here's a different take:

Monk 1/Fighter 4/Warshaper 2|Druid 7

Dumpstat your physicals (except, with the new rules, Con). Fight in your alternate form. Warshaper grants awsome bonuses.

The lack of BAB is made up by better Strength and many, many attacks.
Better yet, go Fighter/Warshaper on one track and Druid/Master of Many Forms on the other.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you actually like the Monk/Sorc build, I'd consider Monk/PsyWar- just a quick glance reveals that you'd have options like:

An Enlarge ability that you can use to boost your size two categories, not one.

Better (but not full) BAB.

Proficiency with all martial weapons (see below)...and armor, if you'd need it (for a disguise, for instance).

More Feats- almost as many as the fighter.

D10 HD.

Bonuses to your psionics based upon a stat you already need as a Monk- Wisdom. This minimizes the Multiple Stat Dependency problem.

Access to psionic feats, like Up the Walls and Deep Impact. Who doesn't like going up walls or resoving melee attacks as touch attacks? Speed of Thought adds yet more speed to your PC.

If you're allowed to use the Dragon Compendium volume 1 from Paizo (its all official stuff, so I don't see why not), you'll also find 3 feats you might like: [/B]Pole Fighter[/B], Ring the Golden Bell & Unorthodox Flurry.

[/B]Pole Fighter[/B] lets you use a polearm as monk weapon- that means flurry with reach! Similarly, Unorthodox Flurry lets you use a chosen light weapon as a monk weapon.

Ring the Golden Bell is, in a way, the coolest- it lets you use your unarmed strikes as a ranged weapon, including any attacks you could deliver with an unarmed strike- Stunning Blow, a held touch spell or power, etc.

As an aside, I also like the Monk/Soulknife build- especially with the Unorthodox Flurry Feat, and/or the Soulknife Feats from Dragon magazine earlier this year. Flurrying with a weapon that can cost your opponent Int points is kewl! You literally beat your opponents stupid!

Last edited:

szilard

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
Paladin/Sorceror: This looks good at first but it is overrrated. Are you planning on being a strong Paladin and crappy Sorceror because you need to work around the arcane failure for armor? Or are you planning on being a strong Sorceror and crappy brawler because you cannot wear any real armor?

Strong Paladin: Get the Arcane Strike Feat and use it all the time. Spellwise, focus on spells without somatic components (Races of the Dragon is good for this) and/or utility spells with little to no combat application and/or very long duration spells.

or

Strong Sorcerer: Great hp, BAB, and Saves. Focus on touch and ranged touch spells to make use of these things. Carry around a big sword.

-Stuart

Remove ads