• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hemp rope VS silk rope

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
(pendantic aside: there's an argument that fiends are non-gendered, since they don't reproduce sexually - the physical form of a fiend is simply the tool most effective to do its job.)

ANYHOO, the difference between hemp rope and silk rope really depends on how important you want rope selection to be to your game. For most people, that may be a level of detail too granular.

(pendantic aside: there's an argument that fiends are non-gendered, since they don't reproduce sexually - the physical form of a fiend is simply the tool most effective to do its job.)

In most cases I would be inclined to agree with you but the succubus is a special case--her role is to be *FEMALE*. It matters not that she's incapable of reproduction. Is my wife no longer female?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
In most cases I would be inclined to agree with you but the succubus is a special case--her role is to be *FEMALE*. It matters not that she's incapable of reproduction. Is my wife no longer female?

Key difference between your wife and an incarnation of ultimate evil (perhaps not the only key difference, but one of them): your wife is a biological human, not a manifestation of sin given flesh. Your wife's biologically female for a whole host of reasons, the succubus is not biologically female for any reason, since it's not a biological being. It can look like a female, but that look is a tool for its nefarious purposes, more like a costume than a gender. Presumably, your wife hasn't just adopted a pleasing female form in order to tempt you into reckless acts of destructive lust.

But anyway, this is pretty much WAAAAAAY off topic ATM.

Another difference between silk rope and hemp rope: the latter might be outlawed in an area with draconian penalties for mind-altering herbs. ;)

Key difference between your wife and an incarnation of ultimate evil (perhaps not the only key difference, but one of them): your wife is a biological human, not a manifestation of sin given flesh. Your wife's biologically female for a whole host of reasons, the succubus is not biologically female for any reason, since it's not a biological being.

A succubus is capable of conceiving and bearing children--that's female.

Another difference between silk rope and hemp rope: the latter might be outlawed in an area with draconian penalties for mind-altering herbs. ;)

True, although I doubt there's anywhere in D&D-land with such laws. Nobody could afford to be that much of a nanny-state back then.

Starfox

Hero
Deepening on your myth, an incubus and a succubus can be the same individual. After having seduced a man, a succubus stores the seed, mutates it, changes to an incubus, and uses this corrupted seed to impregnate a human female. The theory of course is that infernal creatures can create nothing - they can only corrupt. So an icubus cannot impregnate anything by itself - it needs something to corrupt to do so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus said:
Thomas Aquinas lent himself to the ongoing discussion, stating, "Still, if some are occasionally begotten from demons, it is not from the seed of such demons, nor from their assumed bodies, but from the seed of men, taken for the purpose; as when the demon assumes first the form of a woman, and afterwards of a man; just so they take the seed of other things for other generating purposes."[7] It became generally accepted that incubi and succubi were the same demon, able to switch between male and female forms.[8] A succubus would be able to sleep with a man and collect his sperm, and then transform into an incubus and use that seed on women. Even though sperm and egg came from humans originally, the spirits' offspring were often thought of as supernatural.[9]

It does seem to be the most applicable pronoun here.

Remove ads