• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Oh, har-har-hardy-har-har. :rolleyes:

Yeah, read the rest. Lesser Restoration would cover it IMO. If you want to have bespectacled PCs wandering around, your choice. :p
And levitate would cover floating objects. My point is, there appears to be a double-standard here. Depictions of magic serving no obvious function other than to look cool are criticized as “not something you can do in the game,” while depictions of disabilities being accommodated with nonmagical tools is derided as unrealistic because “magic could fix it.” Lesser Restoration can end the blinded condition, but improving a character’s distance vision is something a DM would have to make a judgment call to allow. And that’s fine, but a DM could equally make the judgment call that a player who wants to add a little descriptive flair to their casting is allowed to have small objects float around them when they cast a spell. The function of magic seems to be flexible when it justifies your dislike of the picture for it to be so, and also be rigid when it justifies your dislike of the picture for it to be so.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
No, not at all. Did I ever say that or imply it? No, I didn't. Frankly, I don't appreciate people implying that I have. Read my posts.

I said, lesser restoration, since it can remove the blinded condition, would work to help those with vision impaiments, which would be a "lesser condition" than being blinded.
You’re just making a lot of the same arguments that those people do. And I definitely wouldn’t rule that Lesser Restoration works as magic lasik. The spell doesn’t imply that at all.

mamba

Legend
Have you not also seen 1000s of pictures of old dudes with long white beards, blue robes, and pointy hats?
yes, but I did not ask for one of those pictures instead, did I? I can assure you that Gandalf was not what I had in mind instead either ;)

Reactions: ezo

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
And levitate would cover floating objects. My point is, there appears to be a double-standard here. Depictions of magic serving no obvious function other than to look cool are criticized as “not something you can do in the game,” while depictions of disabilities being accommodated with nonmagical tools is derided as unrealistic because “magic could fix it.” Lesser Restoration can end the blinded condition, but improving a character’s distance vision is something a DM would have to make a judgment call to allow. And that’s fine, but a DM could equally make the judgment call that a player who wants to add a little descriptive flair to their casting is allowed to have small objects float around them when they cast a spell. The function of magic seems to be flexible when it justifies your dislike of the picture for it to be so, and also be rigid when it justifies your dislike of the picture for it to be so.
Also, to clarify, I’m of the opinion that you don’t need to justify your dislike of the picture. If you don’t like it, you don’t like it, and that’s perfectly fine.

I think we (myself included) have an unhelpful tendency to want to rationalize our likes and dislikes. We’re not comfortable just saying “I like this thing” or “I don’t like this thing” without being able to innumerate specific reasons for that opinion. But we’re also really bad at self-analyzing why we like or dislike things. I think we would all do well to try to let go of the instinct to try to justify our tastes and just be ok liking or disliking things because they tickle our brains in some nonspecific fashion.

ezo

I cast invisibility
And levitate would cover floating objects.
No, it can't. Leviatate only affects ONE object, not multiple ones. You can't even upcast it to affect multiple objects.

My point is, there appears to be a double-standard here. Depictions of magic serving no obvious function other than to look cool are criticized as “not something you can do in the game,” while depictions of disabilities being accommodated with nonmagical tools is derided as unrealistic because “magic could fix it.”
I never said it was unrealistic. I said for this image, a PC with "such apparent power", it seems odd to me she would be wearing glasses. Because, yes, IMO magic would be able to help with any vision disability.

A farmer with glasses? No problem. Maybe he has never met a caster who can caster lesser restoration for him or couldn't afford having an NPC do it. But this "wizard"? No, I'm sorry, but it just doesn't fit for me. As someone posted, perhaps they are magical lens of some sort, and that, for a "powerful wizard" would make sense.

Lesser Restoration can end the blinded condition, but improving a character’s distance vision is something a DM would have to make a judgment call to allow. And that’s fine, but a DM could equally make the judgment call that a player who wants to add a little descriptive flair to their casting is allowed to have small objects float around them when they cast a spell.
Exactly, a judgement call, which as I've posted I have made.

And sure, a DM could make that other judgement call as well, but then it wouldn't be the purpose of the spell, would it? It would be some form of "magical side effect", which is very much to the effect of what we see in superhero images/media. Fluff it however you want, but it has nothing to do with what spell she is actually casting (assuming it is whatever sphere is there?). But no spell mimics such an effect by itself.

The function of magic seems to be flexible when it justifies your dislike of the picture for it to be so, and also be rigid when it justifies your dislike of the picture for it to be so.
Let's be clear: function of magical SPELLS. First instance, lesser restoration can rid vision impairment. Second instance, no spell does what is depicted in the image.

You’re just making a lot of the same arguments that those people do. And I definitely wouldn’t rule that Lesser Restoration works as magic lasik. The spell doesn’t imply that at all.
"Those people"? Who are "those people"? Please stop trying to pigeon-hole me in a group I don't belong to.

Your choice as far as the spell goes. The ability to cure blindless and restore vision is very much a magical thing to me. Helping someone with a vision impairment would be even easier as they can already see to some extent. Since the spell removes the blinded condition, it implies it very much IMO. You don't want to allow it to help people in your games? Your choice.

Also, to clarify, I’m of the opinion that you don’t need to justify your dislike of the picture. If you don’t like it, you don’t like it, and that’s perfectly fine.

I think we (myself included) have an unhelpful tendency to want to rationalize our likes and dislikes. We’re not comfortable just saying “I like this thing” or “I don’t like this thing” without being able to innumerate specific reasons for that opinion. But we’re also really bad at self-analyzing why we like or dislike things. I think we would all do well to try to let go of the instinct to try to justify our tastes and just be ok liking or disliking things because they tickle our brains in some nonspecific fashion.
Cool. And I'm fine if other people like it for whatever reasons. For the reasons I've agreed with others, and stated for myself, I don't. But people seem to take offense to my disliking it for those reasons, so apparently aren't fine with it.

People (including myself) share their reasons with others often because otherwise other people might question why we don't like it. People project issues they have with others on others still.

Don’t see what all the fuss is about, personally. Wizard casting shield against a bunch of animated library books.

I like it.
Short of the floating staff, that's the best description in context yet! Kuddos.

I mean, her floating could be levitate or fly, but since shield is not concentration, that works. :)

Of course, her feet are still vulnerable. ;)

Who's to say that the staff is levitating? She might have just let go of it, and the illustration happens to show it as it's falling.

Or, if she's in an Ottiluke's resilient sphere, it might just be propped up by the sphere itself. It does seem to be wedged into the "north pole" of the sphere, so to speak, and the unseen end could be propped up or wedged into something to keep it at that angle.

Or it's just an artifact staff which has the power to levitate on its own.

Also, can't we have anything nice without people nit-picking it to death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads