• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Here's The New 2024 Player's Handbook Wizard Art

WotC says art is not final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GJStLauacAIRfOl.jpeg

Jaeger

That someone better
Anti-matter rifles, space ships, giant robots, a whole plane of Gothic Everything,

I had no idea that the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was so widely played, and such a fundamental experience for D&D players.

You learn something new every day.

Killer Concept: Gothic Aesthetic meets Hammer Horror Dracula. Also a riff on the Medieval folklore about traveling to places like the Otherworld, and Faerie realm.

Unfortunately there are no silver bullets for the black powder guns they don't have; so they need to find the magical sword.

Hold on now... A magical sword in my Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game!? What madness is this!

and not a serf or rotten meat haunch covered in pepper to be seen.

That would be Warhammer Fantasy.

We are talking about D&D's re-faire medieval aesthetic here...

You can set your watch to this stuff:

OP: "When you consider that the average height of women in the US is 5'4", it does make sense that..."

A: "Aktually, my sister is 5'8", and she says..."
B: "Well, I'm 5'10 woman, and for me..."
C: "My 5' mom could easily..."

mamba

Legend
I assume by "Wakanda" you mean Black?

Can't we have Black wizards?
I meant black and fancy, stylish clothes that look like they belong in a contemporary setting.

We can have black wizards, nothing wrong with that at all.

My complaint was not about skin color but about the pose / composition. To me this is stylistically much more a superhero picture than a fantasy one

ezo

I cast invisibility
But that’s the point, isn’t it? Why would a game need to illustrate the hoary old stereotype?
I'm not saying we need that. I was just refuting a claim that the new wizard image has become more identifable as a wziard than the "hoary old stereotype." My point was it is moving in that direction, but we are not even close to being there yet.

I could also take this image and the hoary old stereostype, show it to people and ask: which is a superhero, which is a wizard. I think we all know what choices the majority of people would choose.

We simply aren't there yet.

Exactly! The question isn’t “why would a wizard look so clean and fancy?”. It’s “why wouldn’t a wizard want to look clean and fancy?”.
Easy to answer: it isn't the gritty, hard-worn, adventurer look. Which is something many players prefer IME.

The designers realized that D&D is in the Renaissance, it's one of the justifications for why the new PHB has the Musket and Pistol on the equipment list.
LOL even if I was ever tempted to adopt anything from the 2024 rules, Musket and Pistols would be dead last on the list! They would never even have a shot.

i can't wait until the designers realize that D&D also isn't on Earth.
Keep dreaming...

and that's what this is.
Are we even looking at the same picture??? :oops:

Raistlin had special glasses. I refuse to accept glasses as an issue lol.
At this point I am just highly amused my off-hand comment generated so much "conversation". :ROFLMAO: Especially when it continues to pop up.

Edit: Besides, everyone knows that no one wearing glasses could ever be wild and uncontrolled…:)
Thank God, I know that isn't true. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads