Hewligan's Rise of the Runelords: The Skinsaw Murders

hewligan

First Post
All - please see this post in the OOC thread. I am going to let you lot decide. Me - I love Pathfinder, it is the NewCool, but I am also very happy just to continue along with 3.5e as it is obviously the easier route. Therefore - you can decide (gosh, just like American Idol).

hewligan

First Post
Hew - is there an enhancement bonus to this (+1, +2)? Is it a regular spear or a long spear? If regular, can it be thrown? Range increment?

I kind of dig this item. Really wondering if it could be thrown and if it hits, could you trigger the pulse of despair? That could be very useful :]

You know, this was a really ill-defined item in the adventure, and in fact it spurred a bit of discussion over at the Paizo forums on the GM thread. In short, they dropped the ball a bit on the item in the adventure. It sounds so cool, and really should have been much cooler than the item. There was no info on weapon type (spear? longspear?), and given the way it looks in the illustration it really should have had the special "keen" subtype, or perhaps the "vicious" subtype, but only when the raging yell is invoked.

I have managed to track down some official errata on the Paizo website, and therefore it is now:

The Impaler of Thorns is indeed actually a +1 spear, but due to the special nature of the blade attached, it does 2d6 rather than 1d6 damage. It can be thrown, as per normal for a spear, and used in a charge, as per normal. So basically, a bog-standard +1 spear, but that deals 2d6 damage. Not a bad weapon, but not as amazingly cool as it could have been.

frostrune

First Post
The Impaler of Thorns is indeed actually a +1 spear, but due to the special nature of the blade attached, it does 2d6 rather than 1d6 damage. It can be thrown, as per normal for a spear, and used in a charge, as per normal. So basically, a bog-standard +1 spear, but that deals 2d6 damage. Not a bad weapon, but not as amazingly cool as it could have been.

Does it still have the 'Pulse of Despair' property and can it be used when the weapon is thrown? That would make it pretty cool.

hewligan

First Post
Does it still have the 'Pulse of Despair' property and can it be used when the weapon is thrown? That would make it pretty cool.

Yes, and yes, but you designate it at the point of throwing, before it hits. If it misses you do not lose the ability for the day, but you cannot decide after it hits basically.

frostrune

First Post
Item stuff:

I agree on selling the snakeskin tunic (+2000 gp), mask (+4500 gp, after broker fee), and silver punch dagger (+161 gp).

We owe 650 gp to the identifying wizard.

Ignoring my earlier posts, we have 53 pp and 175 gp (selling liquor & jade figures, Jovik keeping the dice) = 705 gp. Assuming this to pay for the identifys...

We are left with 55 gp in coin.

The spear has some interest from me as does the belt and medallion. Jokad is not terribly concerned about the 'evil' warnings of the old wizard.

Once we decide on what we are selling I would propose we subtract any group costs from the spoils before divying it up. Danth can get his much needed wands and such.

PF rules: I do not have the PF rulebook but the SRD seems pretty good. The little I have read looks cool as well. I would be OK with switching if that is what the group decides.

Guys,

We have the spear, belt, ring, and medallion (and mask if we don't want to sell it). I think the potions should be kept. Danth should take the neutralize poison as he is our healer and either Kael or Jovik should take the fly for a quick escape.

Who wants what? Or should we sell it?

Jokad would like the spear. He also has an interest in the belt and medallion, in that order. Obviously it is not very fair of me to hoard it all.

Rhun

First Post
OOC: We should sell as much as we can. The Medusa Mask and perhaps the Impaler of Thorns (since it really doesn't fit anyone's fighting style)?

Danth votes to destroy the evil Medallion, though if Kael or someone wants to carry it in case it has some future use, he wouldn't have a huge problem with that (The False Life property would be a decent boon to someone in combat).

The belt and the ring are both useful. So we should probably keep those.

Danth would like to purchase a Periapt of Wisdom (+2), if such an item can be found in Magnimar? Depending on how much left over wealth still remains after selling everything, he may consider something to boost his armor class, such as getting a new, shiny, magic shield or something.

Fenris

Adventurer
OOC: Ok guys how about this:
We sell the mundane stuff from ironbriar's (except the dice they are cool). Sell the silver dagger as well. That comes out to 866 gp. Pay for the identify out of that to leave 216 gp. Jokad takes Impaler of Thorns (it is cool), Jovik takes the belt, Kael takes the ring. We keep the potions and destroy the medallion (do we get XP for destroying evil items I wonder?) If we sell the snakeskin armor and the mask we can get 6,500 gp for those. We all pitch in the 188 gp for the wand of lesser vigor for Danth. I would say if each pitched in 500 gp to Danth since he didn't get a magic item, then counting our reward money Jokad would get the spear and 6,491 gp, Kael the ring of protection +1 and 6,491 gp. Jovik the Belt and 6,491 gp and Danth the (really a party item) and 7,991 gp. The extra money Danth gets lets him buy a ring or the equivalent like Jovik and Kael got. With the new gp total we can shop a little better I think. But i think that that comes out pretty fair and equitable. Now if Jokad DOESN'T want the spear we can rework things, but that is indeed a nice spear. Thoughts guys?

frostrune

First Post
I definitely would like the spear. I am fine with the distribution of the rest per Fenris' post. One question, I assume the 6941 gp share includes the 4500 gp reward from the mayor et al?

Fenris

Adventurer
I definitely would like the spear. I am fine with the distribution of the rest per Fenris' post. One question, I assume the 6941 gp share includes the 4500 gp reward from the mayor et al?

Fenris said:
then counting our reward money Jokad would get the spear and 6,491 gp

OOC: Yeap. ;)

With the reward money yes, but that should let you get another item or say upgrade the breastplate to mithral should you wish.

Remove ads