D&D 5E Hexblade as a fighter archetype

Lanliss

Explorer
That's an awful lot of complexity to throw into an archetype. Couldn't you just add a Hex ability, recharging on a short rest, and maybe the shadow pet? I don't see the benefit of adding spell slots to this equation.

The goal is to replace the Warlock Patron, instead making it a Fighter archetype.

One interesting way to help fill up the class features would be to allow the Hexblade to select from either Wave, Whelm, or Blackrazor (or something thematically similar and fluffed otherwise) as their patron, much like how a Totem Warrior Barbarian might choose a personal totem. Then their subsequent archetype abilities could be colored by this choice.

I had planned to let them choose Warlock Patrons (Fiend, archfey, etc.), and have the abilities colored by that. Basically the same idea.

Ganymede81

First Post
I had planned to let them choose Warlock Patrons (Fiend, archfey, etc.), and have the abilities colored by that. Basically the same idea.

That just sounds like a multiclass Fighter-Warlock smushed together into one class. Not even an Eldritch Knight is simply a multiclass Fighter-Wizard smushed together.

Actually, having the Hexblade Archetype, the minion of a sentient weapon patron, as a fighter exclusive is an interesting way to thematically and mechanically distinguish these guys from regular warlocks. After all, forging a pact with a living weapon seems more like something a warrior would do rather than a spell slinger.

Lanliss

Explorer
That just sounds like a multiclass Fighter-Warlock smushed together into one class. Not even an Eldritch Knight is simply a multiclass Fighter-Wizard smushed together.

Actually, having the Hexblade Archetype, the minion of a sentient weapon patron, as a fighter exclusive is an interesting way to thematically and mechanically distinguish these guys from regular warlocks. After all, forging a pact with a living weapon seems more like something a warrior would do rather than a spell slinger.

I was rushed at the time, and could not get out my full thought, sorry. I meant to say that my goal is basically the EK version of the Warlock, mostly fighter with some warlock color thrown in. The features I consider relevant to the Warlock flavor is Low number of spells known, Patron specific capabilities, and Invocations. I do not intend for Fighter to actually get Dark one's Own Blessing for example, but his own Fiend-flavored feature, that is more relevant to a Weaponmaster who made a deal for greater Power. Hexblade was just a nice name, and the original inspiration for this idea (to me anyway, I don't know what versions there have been in the past). I might actually do a Hexblade Patron Hexblade, but for now my goal is the PHB patrons, since they are more of a known quality, and easier to balance agaisnt for comparison.

EDIT: Wow, I just realized I never actually touched on this bit in the OP. I need to edit that to say that this is not just the Hexblade itself, but a full 1/3rd-Warlock-as-Fighter Subclass, who will have access to Patrons other than Sentient Blades.

Last edited:

Ganymede81

First Post
Aww, too bad. A fighter swearing a pact to one of the three original weapons of White Plume Mountain has a lot of potential.

Heck, maybe I'll give it a try.

Lanliss

Explorer
Alright, after a bit of thought, I think my previous example for Cha as attack stat will work out well for a 3rd level ability. Problem is, if I go for the full patron route, where you get different Hexblade features depending on your patron, that will only be for one of them (Probably the Fiend), and will need more for the other patrons. For now, here it is in Official Bold

Dark Ones Power
When you choose this Archetype at 3rd level, and select the Fiend Patron, you can add half of your Charisma modifier (Rounded up) to your melee attacks, in addition to your standard attack modifier.

Lanliss

Explorer
Aww, too bad. A fighter swearing a pact to one of the three original weapons of White Plume Mountain has a lot of potential.

Heck, maybe I'll give it a try.

Well, as I said, it is still totally doable, especially once I get the general framework for each one down, since that will give a better idea of what to do with a new one. Under my current course, this promises to be, essentially, a Separate Archetype for each patron, but they will all have the same spell progression, which is probably the trickiest part for someone like me that is not the best at planning the track of an archtype. Do I give another Cantrip in 7 levels, or 8? When should they get 3rd level spells? When should I hand out new spells known? I am not the best to answer these questions, but I am the one who has chosen to try.

Ganymede81

First Post
Why not do this? It is the one-third progression for warlocks.

3 - Lvl 1 spells, one slot
4 - Lvl 1 spells, two slots
5 - Lvl 1 spells, two slots
6 - Lvl 1 spells, two slots
7 - Lvl 2 spells, two slots
8 - Lvl 2 spells, two slots
9 - Lvl 2 spells, two slots
10 - Lvl 2 spells, two slots
11 - Lvl 2 spells, two slots
12 - Lvl 2 spells, two slots
13 - Lvl 3 spells, two slots
14 - Lvl 3 spells, two slots
15 - Lvl 3 spells, two slots
16 - Lvl 3 spells, two slots
17 - Lvl 3 spells, two slots
18 - Lvl 3 spells, two slots
19 - Lvl 4 spells, two slots
20 - Lvl 4 spells, two slots

Lanliss

Explorer
Why not do this? It is the one-third progression for warlocks.

3 - Lvl 1 spells, one slot
4 - Lvl 1 spells, two slots
5 - Lvl 1 spells, two slots
6 - Lvl 1 spells, two slots
7 - Lvl 2 spells, two slots
8 - Lvl 2 spells, two slots
9 - Lvl 2 spells, two slots
10 - Lvl 2 spells, two slots
11 - Lvl 2 spells, two slots
12 - Lvl 2 spells, two slots
13 - Lvl 3 spells, two slots
14 - Lvl 3 spells, two slots
15 - Lvl 3 spells, two slots
16 - Lvl 3 spells, two slots
17 - Lvl 3 spells, two slots
18 - Lvl 3 spells, two slots
19 - Lvl 4 spells, two slots
20 - Lvl 4 spells, two slots

True, though I was also working on spells known progression (shouldn't be hard), cantrips known (still stuck between 2 or 3...), and number of Invocations. I only started this projecct in earnest a few hours ago, as I was away from PHB, and I have not worked on this exact style of Subclass before.

EDIT: Also, I don't think getting a 2nd slot immediately will be fun, since you then sit at 2 until level 20. I think I will be doing the 2nd slot at 11 instead, since that is half the speed of warlock. Actually, looking back over the warlock, and counting in my planned 5-th level Arcanum for the fighter, the Warlock slot levels work quite well as is, up to 9th level, which meshes well with what a previous post said. Apologies for rambling back and forth, I do this with young ideas a lot...

Last edited:

Lanliss

Explorer
Alright, I think I have the basic list down, so I will start with Spell progression.

Spell list is Warlock Spells+Patron spells (as found in the Warlock section)

Fighter levelCantrips knownInvocations KnownSpells KnownSpell SlotSlot level
3rd1-211st
4th11211st
5th11212nd
6th11312nd
7th21312nd
8th22312nd
9th22313rd
10th22413rd
11th22423rd
12th23523rd
13th23524th
14th23624th
15th23624th
16th24724th
17th24724th
18th3482Mystic Arcanum (5th level)
19th3482
20th3482

This seems like a reasonable progression, I think. It is roughly equal, at level 20, to a 9th level Warlock. The only bit I am really questioning is whether I should actually include a Mystic Arcanum or not. It seems to me like a pretty hefty part of the warlock, and that small boost in power over someone similar fits the fluff of trading for the higher power. I know it isn't a Spell slot, but I felt it was important to mention early on, as that level is otherwise dead, progression-wise. It will serve as the level 18 feature for the subclass, leaving all of the previous one's to be Patron specific.

Each Bolded entry is what I consider a marked increase in power, which I tried to make sure was spread out enough that you didn't have big Boost levels, followed by a plateau.

Note: I am rushing this right now, so I might have missed something important to note, sorry if I made any major mistakes against balance. This is mostly just my gut feeling on the subject, and not a lot of math or research.

Ganymede81

First Post
A 5th level spell AND four invocations does not leave a lot of room for class features outside of ribbons.

Will you be calculating the level prerequisite differently for invocations?

Remove ads