• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hit points -- how do you roll?

How do you determine hit points when you level up in 5e?

• Roll a die, live with the consequences

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Average hit points

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Player's choice

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • "Gentlemen's re-roll"

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Max hit points

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Something else (please explain)

Votes: 6 9.4%

Each level, the player rolls all of the hit dice for the character, and that becomes their max HP until they gain another level. If the new roll is worse than the old roll, the new roll becomes the old roll +1.

For example, a level 8 cleric will have 8d8 hit points, which might come out to 42 (slightly above average). Upon reaching level 9, the player rolls 9d8, and that becomes the new max HP for the character. If the sum of 9d8 is 42 or less, though, the max HP becomes 43.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I voted something else. I have the player roll, and then they take the better of either the roll or the average. So a fighter's player rolls a 1, she will get 6 + Con mod instead. But, if she rolls an 8, she will get 8 + Con mod.

Elf Witch

First Post
Players choice but if they are going to pick half they have to do it before they roll. I don't allow rerolls if you are willing to gamble then you take what you get.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
For the first time I told the guys that they can roll or take average. But they must choose before rolling. I'd roll all the time myself and prefer it but for this new campaign I told them they could take which one. We always roll stats and I'm sure for 6HD classes they will take the 4 most of the time but I think the d10 and d12 classes will take a shot and roll.

This is what I use. Either take half or roll, live with the consequences, (but I must see the roll).

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I voted something else. I have the player roll, and then they take the better of either the roll or the average. So a fighter's player rolls a 1, she will get 6 + Con mod instead. But, if she rolls an 8, she will get 8 + Con mod.

This is what I was trying to capture under "gentlemen's re-roll".

Not rolling is superior to rolling RAW. You get .5 more per level and don't have as many levels where you will get wiped out in a hit or two.

So I change the roll to reflect this. 1d8 becomes 2d4 and such.

I like that option. I usually say "reroll 1s until you get a different result.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark

This is what the players in my game get to do. Roll the die and take the result or the "high average". Nobody gets less than half-rounded-up HP each level up.

My reasoning is that I don't think any character should be penalized permanently because of just a couple bad die rolls.

In our campaign, it's players' choice. I always take the average because I'm one of the world's worst dice rollers. Some of our players prefer to roll and it works out OK for them. For the most part, they've been lucky with their HP rolls so far.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads