• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[homebrew] Sterling Vermin Adventuring Co. presents the Pugilist - a monk variant class!

coolgamertagbro

First Post
Scrappers & scrapettes!

This week on the Sterling Vermin Adventuring Co. an unarmed ruffian literally kicked the Complete Devout Handbook into next week to make room for himself! The Pugilist, a monk variant class, is here! The Pugilist is more than an archetype but not quite an entirely original class either. Check out its unique blend of brute strength, gritty determination, and undeniable raw force of personality at the blog!

[url]http://sterlingvermin.com/2016/01/20/the-pugilist-early-draft/[/URL]

What am I looking at?

A link to a D&D 5e homebrew blog.

What is the difference between the pugilist and the monk?

The monk is bound up in certain mechanical and narrative themes: dexterity, mysticism, and wuxia. The pugilist isn’t an entirely new class because it borrows a lot from the monk, but it’s not an archetype because it changes a lot more than a monk archetype would, so instead it’s a variant class. The pugilist borrows some of the mechanics of the monk but instead focuses on themes of physical strength, character strength, and street cred.

Ironxxx

First Post
Love this, really cool, I've wanted a Strength monk for a while.
The only balance issue I'd have is with Counterpunch, it's a huge damage reduction from the most common damage a melee combatant would take and could combine with Brace Yourself to totally dominate a one on one combat, every round. I'm thinking maybe once or twice per short rest or change it in some way, great concept though.
Really like the Fight Clubs too, I'd like to see a proper martial arts monk get a similar treatment.

coolgamertagbro

First Post
I'm really glad you like it! I have been hearing a lot of concerns about Counterpunch today so I am going to crunch some numbers tonight and see how it all looks mathwise.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads