Honor Harrington RPG setting!

s/LaSH

First Post
tetsujin28 said:
Never heard of it.

Well then, go to http://www.baen.com and download David Weber's On Basilisk Station (book 1 in the series). The publisher wants you to.

In slightly more detail, the Honor Harrington series is often described as 'Hornblower in space'. It's about an interstellar war that resembles Star Trek only insofar as they have spaceships, and I for one think it's very very good if you like consistency in your scifi.

takyris

First Post
As an alternative view, I read "On Basilisk Station" on paper and didn't think much of it. It's good military SF, but good military SF tends to be somewhat stock, characterwise, and I found the protagonist to be a bit bland. She's good, everyone else is unimaginative, evil, or obedient, and she triumphs over impossible odds. A lot. I do not wish in any way to imply that this is inherently bad, but it is not my personal cup of tea. That said, I'm very interested in what kind of RPG develops from it, because I thought that the science of ship-to-ship combat was very well thought out.

(I probably wouldn't like reading Horatio Hornblower either, although I am enjoying watching the episodes on A&E.)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Teflon Billy said:
I wish someone would make a Miles Vorkosigan RPG...that's the flavour of "War in Space" that I like.

There's a lot more wiggle-room for a designer. Bujold tends to gloss over technical details. That's a big ship. That's a fast ship. That ship's got more plasma cannons than that one.

Whereas Weber revels in them, and we know mass, length, maximum acceleration, number and layout of lasers, grasers, and missile launchers, effective ranges of beam weapons, effective ranges and stand-off ranges of missiles in multiple drive settings, ammunition storage figures, bunkerage mass allocations... for any number of classes of ship.

-Hyp.

mmu1

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
I wish someone would make a Miles Vorkosigan RPG...that's the flavour of "War in Space" that I like.

GURPS Vorkosigan is supposedly finally in the production stage...

Bujold's books show pretty well the difference between human-centric and gadget-centric sci-fi. In the Vorkosigan books, high technology matters only because of how it affects human nature and relationships, not because spaceships with big guns and alien artifacts are kewl.

redhawk

First Post
GURPS Vorkosigan

Teflon Billy said:

Steve Jackson's all over it.

GURPS Vorkosigan. In the works now. As usual for such things, Steve's working closely with Bujold to get the details and the world correct.

Redhawk

tetsujin28

First Post
redhawk said:
Steve Jackson's all over it.

GURPS Vorkosigan. In the works now. As usual for such things, Steve's working closely with Bujold to get the details and the world correct.

Redhawk
Never heard of that, either. Shows what happens when you're a classicist ;-)

Remove ads