Honor Harrington RPG setting!

mmu1

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Well, yes, I agree :) But I was trying not to oversell :)

-Hyp.

I don't think the Honor Harrington novels come anywhere close to the Vorkosigan series, if only because Miles going manic-depressive over something is vastly more entertaining than reading about Honor having another one of her frequent bouts with depression, low self-esteem, guilt and sexual disfunction. ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
mmu1 said:
I don't think the Honor Harrington novels come anywhere close to the Vorkosigan series, if only because Miles going manic-depressive over something is vastly more entertaining than reading about Honor having another one of her frequent bouts with depression, low self-esteem, guilt and sexual disfunction. ;)

I think the biggest mistake Bujold ever made was chapter 9 of A Civil Campaign.

You see, I used to reread the Vorkosigan books start to finish because I enjoyed them.

But now I read them all as an excuse to reread that chapter.

Best chapter ever.

And now the rest of the books - while still brilliant - don't quite live up to what I now know she's capable of writing.

Damn it :)

Whereas Weber hasn't done that to me yet, so I can enjoy all of the Honor books on their own merit :)

-Hyp.

s/LaSH

First Post
I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a book. I read Honor Harrington primarily for the space battles and nice big numbers, and Miles Vorkosigan for the audacious little - um, the social element. And I go away happy.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
s/LaSH said:
I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a book. I read Honor Harrington primarily for the space battles and nice big numbers...

Yeee-eah :D

Weber and Eric Flint have something in common: a tendency to break off narrative in the middle of hectic action to spend a few pages giving some technical or historical detail.

Flint does it in the Belisarius books - it's been a while since I read them, but I have vague memories of something like a bunch of cataphracts throwing a volley of plumbata... and then a long explanation of how the war darts had evolved from the Roman Legionnaire's pila, and how many they carried, and what the standard tactics for their use were, etc, etc... and then the darts hitting their targets.

Weber does the same thing, sometimes. And I've met people who find it quite frustrating, but it's never bothered me.

Although I do occasionally skim over some of the technical lectures when I'm rereading one of the books.

-Hyp.

mmu1

First Post
I liked the first couple of Harrington books, but if I never read about bomb-pumped X-ray lasers, and a six-legged cat meeping or bleeping or whatever it is it does reproachfully again, I'll be a happy man.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
mmu1 said:
I liked the first couple of Harrington books, but if I never read about bomb-pumped X-ray lasers, and a six-legged cat meeping or bleeping or whatever it is it does reproachfully again, I'll be a happy man.

Bleek!

-Hyp.

mmu1

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Bleek!

-Hyp.

How could I forget. It's the same sound a smurf makes when you step on it. :)

Edit: I just had a revelation. Honor is always an emotional mess because that miserable furball is sitting there going: "Bleak! Bleak!" all day long. It's subliminal.

Last edited:

Remove ads