• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How can we balance Level 1 - 40?

Sadrik

First Post
BAB = 1/2 plus a bonus depending on your class works well.

Warrior type +5
Cleric or rogue type +3
Wizard type +1

This is something that I have been messing around with in the past. Then multiclassing you average all of your classes together to get you actual BAB.

A 5/5 fighter/rogue would get 5x5=25 + 3x5=15 = 40/10 = +4 BAB + their level bonus of +1/2 level (+5) equals a total of +9 BAB for a 10th level fighter rogue.

It gives a big bonus early but it keeps all the classes within a certain range of combat effectiveness.

Cleric and rogue could be moved to +2 and wizard +0, to make sure that warrior types are bad ass when fighting.

Kerrick

First Post
Kerrick, I'm going to have all classes as either 1/2 or 3/4 BAB. Those classes that would have full 1/1 bab get dropped down to 3/4 and get some other funk in its place. Maybe a feat or an aura or "martial" maneuver & stance advancement (combat "spells").
If the best BAB is 3/4, you can reduce ACs to account for it - that's no problem.

LEVEL___1/2BAB____3/4BAB___DIFFERENCE

I can live with those difference, Kerrick.
I dunno... 9 points is a lot, especially if you're going to add combat stances, magic items, feats, and whatnot on top of it - you'll be looking at somewhere around 15 points of difference, in actuality. And, like I said, even a 3/4 BAB scales faster than ACs. I had an analysis of all this when I was working on an epic rules revision, but I can't find it now (must've deleted it). The best I can do is some advice someone gave me:

Consider, for AC, all of the things PCs get that add to their bonus to hit:

BAB: 1/1 BAB goes a long way

Stats: Either Dex or Strength come from Stat ups (~+1 to hit every 8 levels, if thats all that matters to the character)

Item Stat Boost: +1/5 levels (or really 1/6 for non-epic or non focused)

Weapon bonus: +1 per ~ 5 levels. (with about an equal amount of other powers) (Actually, total plus level/2.8~, half for plus, but really)

Feats: +1 to hit could be as often as +1/3 levels. These can really vary.

If you truly want a math equation to take all this into account:

Y = X + (X/8) + (X/6) + (X/2.8/2) + 10

Should give AC (Y) appropriate for a full-bab fightertype of level (X) to hit on a 10. (Not taking into account feats, so adjusting that +10 at the end might help if you want true accuracy; Also assumes a fairly melee focused build)

AC = 10 + ((any CR up to 20)*1.5) + (CR-20, if CR > 20)

Bladesinger_Boy

First Post
Kerrick, think of the current BAB situation from non-epic into epic for a full +20 BAB fighter type. A consistent 3/4BAB w/o any "into epic" chance is not much different than +20BAB then epic caps everything to 1/2. Time for a new table...
...........................X..........................Y.......................Y-X = Z
LEVEL___3/4BAB always___1/1BAB> Epic 1/2__DIFFERENCE

The difference peaks at 21st level, and then 3/4BAB starts gaining faster and closing that gap. However, they won't be matched until 40th level; where both 3/4BAB and Full>Epic BAB hit +30. So, if our game was going beyond 40th level, I'd agree with you. But I think I'm the only one even close to believing that things can be heavily rebalanced to work up to 40th level.

If your comment is about mage-types keeping up with fighter types, I'm much less sympathetic here. They can grant themselves many different bonuses or make touch attack with different spells or cast spells that require a save as compared to at attack roll. That 1/4 level difference is worth all the junk a full spellcaster gets.

Remove ads