How Did I Become a Grognard?

mrrockitt

Explorer
Hi all.

I guess I must be pretty 'hip' then! (Must tell the Kids) :)

I'm 47, use Fantasy Grounds for some games and play face-to-face for others.
Happy to use mini's or theatre of the mind.
Played 3E, 3.5 and Pathfinder but skipped 4E and love 5E.
I've only really started listening to Podcasts at all in the last two years so plenty to catch up on! I have listened to Critical Role but got bored of it pretty quickly, guess I have a pretty short attention sp....but I do love 'The Grognard Files' and 'What would the Smart Party do' (Heard you on there recently in fact Morrus :)
Have no issues with PDFs but do prefer the books.
Use Discord loads to keep up to date as not a Facebook fan, love Tenkars Tavern on Discord. However, do prefer good old Forums such as this one.
Like to use digital tools too, really loving World Anvil right now and use various tablet-related tools.

Retreater, most people I know of around my age don't play D&D at all so you are not doing too badly mate :)

Last edited:

That all sounds more like a Luddite than a Grognard.;)

I generally prefer using hardcopy to digital resources at the table, but don’t terribly object to other people doing so. That being said, I’ve yet to see someone with a PDF look something up faster than a person with the books.

I think the defining feature of a Grognard is the belief that gaming was qualitatively better in older editions, leading to not playing the current edition.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Hmmm...Jeff Foxworthy's redneck jokes translate quite well to grognards...

You Might Be a Grognard

If the internet at a convention goes down and it doesn't affect you one bit...you might be a grognard.

If you've ever written your character sheet on a cocktail napkin...you might be a grognard.

If you start your games early but always finish late...you might be a grognard.

If you've ever skipped work for a gaming-store sale...you might be a grognard.

If you're resume includes your XP on EN World...you might be a grognard.

I may be a redne..grognard.
B9318506868Z.1_20150818173905_000_GRLBLPMQH.1-0.jpg

At least, sometimes.

I prefer minis & dice, yes. But I have played TotM and used dice rolling programs as far back as the 1980s.

Ecpven though I have opbought character sheets for most of the RPGs I own, I made my first Excel spreadsheet-based character sheet for HERO back in 1990, and started typing my characters onto portable devices when I got my Palm Tungsten. I continued when I got my iPod Touch, and now store them on the cloud so I can access them via any of my portable devices.

...but I don’t use any of the apps, and have barely touched the few gaming PDFs I own, preferring to use a mix of physical books and the odd website or two (like SRDs). That also means no Critical Role, no gaming blogs of any kind, no YouTube vids, no VTTs.

I liked 4Ed enough to buy the core and the books that had player info- classes, feats, powers, etc., but knew I’d never run it, so never got any of the DM-centric products beyond the first 2.

Didn’t even bother with 5Ed based on the threads- pro and con- I saw here.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
2. If there is a D&D edition you don't like its easier than ever to play an older one.

Oddly, while I started with AD&D2E, I never want to go back. I guess the warts are too obvious to me now.

*grumble*... Crazy mixed up kids and their character sheets on their smartphones... *grumble*

I would never use a smartphone for a character sheet. Even the biggest ones are too small for my visual comfort. Yes, even turned sideways.

mrrockitt

Explorer
I also still have my basic D&D dice from the early 80's, the ones you had to 'colour in' with a white crayon, used them in a game on Saturday in fact!

Ratskinner

Adventurer
That all sounds more like a Luddite than a Grognard.;)

I generally prefer using hardcopy to digital resources at the table, but don’t terribly object to other people doing so. That being said, I’ve yet to see someone with a PDF look something up faster than a person with the books.

I think the defining feature of a Grognard is the belief that gaming was qualitatively better in older editions, leading to not playing the current edition.

I agree. I would also add a fierce (almost thoughtless, at times) resistance to any criticism or examination of traditional mechanics and the adoption of new ones. There also seems to be a good dose of One True Wayism in grognardery, to the point of refusing to even acknowledge the existence of other playstyles or playgoals.

Remove ads