How do I Get Rid of the Facebook Twitter Etc Thing?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
How do I do that in Google Chrome?

I am no Chrome guru, but I did a quick look around and it looks like Chrome does not have a way to block a particular site like the Restricted Sites list. :erm:

You could try editing your Hosts file, adding the following line:
127.0.0.1 addthis.com

This would direct any requests for the addthis.com domain on your PC back to your PC itself.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Really hoping this gets fixed soon. I know one poster won't make a difference, but I might duck out from this site for a while until it's fixed (or only to check back on this thread if it's not to see if a fix was found).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Really hoping this gets fixed soon. I know one poster won't make a difference, but I might duck out from this site for a while until it's fixed (or only to check back on this thread if it's not to see if a fix was found).

I'm sorry to hear that.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Just chiming in, here. I too find the side-doohickey very distracting and unpleasant. Mind you, I mostly just lurk nowadays. And check to see if Tales of Wyre has updated. ;)

edit: This was on Firefox, btw. Oh, and I added the "addthis" thingies to the adblock filter and the widget disappeared!

Last edited:

Riley

Legend
I am no Chrome guru, but I did a quick look around and it looks like Chrome does not have a way to block a particular site like the Restricted Sites list. :erm:

You could try editing your Hosts file, adding the following line:
127.0.0.1 addthis.com

This would direct any requests for the addthis.com domain on your PC back to your PC itself.

I was able to block addthis.com through the AdBlockPlus extension to Chrome. The sidebar is now gone from Chrome.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
WOOHOO! It worked. I'm "share/social media bar" free! Halleluja.

EDIT: Already had it, apparently. So THAT'S what that red stop sign thingy in the corner is for. :p

Remove ads