• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you craft a homunculus

Klaus

First Post
Are there rules somewhere for making a homunculus? Is it a ritual?
There are homunculus familiars.

Other than that, you'd have to resort to a few summoning spells (the artificer gets them).

A third option is to ask the DM for a homunculus companion character (DMG2).

Mort_Q

First Post
There's an Artificer PP as well, Familiar Bloodsmith...

... or you could go Ranger/Aritificer Hybrid... which is underwhelming...

Siberys

Adventurer
Beastmaster Ranger + reskinning. You don't even need the Artificer class unless you REALLY want what it's got. I'm actually playing such a character.

[sblock]In the Eberron game I'm in, we only have three players, so we 'gestalted' - applied class templates, with slight modification, to our characters. I made a hybrid Artificer/Warlord, Gestalt Ranger, and took a bunch of powers that direct others to attack. That way, I didn't need to spread myself thin when it comes to ability scores - all of my attacks are either Int-basd with Wis riders, or based on another character's scores, with Int or Wis riders.

I flavored my character as a naturally-talented artificer who spent some years fighting in the Last War, so that shaped his abilities. I recently took the Mark of Making feat, so he's a foundling, too. Good times. :)[/sblock]

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
My players just came up against a wizard using homunculi (spelling?) and then took all the wizard's notes from his desk. I simply included the creation rituals there.

I simply made the rituals the level of the creature being created. I believe I made it about 10gp per level of the ritual in components and 100gp x the level of the creature/ritual as a focus.

Obviously this would have to go up for higher levels but suited out low-mid heroic tier. (We don't have thousands of gp in each PCs pocket either). PC doesn't look likely to use them anyway - most likely will sell them.

But a good Q. I would like to see rituals for such things. C

LostSoul

Adventurer
I have three different rituals for this sort of thing: one for raising undead, one for calling and binding creatures, and another for creating constructs.

Each has a level 4 greater than the level of the monster you get (minions are valued at their level – 4, elite their level + 2, and solos their level + 4), and you have to make a check to see if you can control the monster.

There are a few subtleties to each one, but in general they work like that.

I have three different rituals for this sort of thing: one for raising undead, one for calling and binding creatures, and another for creating constructs.

Each has a level 4 greater than the level of the monster you get (minions are valued at their level – 4, elite their level + 2, and solos their level + 4), and you have to make a check to see if you can control the monster.

There are a few subtleties to each one, but in general they work like that.

Yeah, I've done similar things. Just scale the level and cost of the ritual to what it can accomplish. Creating constructs the way I did it is the same cost as an equal level magic item. If they take damage then you also have to spend components on making repairs. Its possible to haul such a construct around with you, but it gets expensive fast and most of them are pretty dumb.

Remove ads