How do you feel about the Open Design 4E conversion?

How do you feel about the new Open Design having a 4E conversion?

• I'm an OGL patron, and I'm really happy about there being a 4E conversion!

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I'm an OGL patron, and I don't really care that there's also a 4E conversion.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I'm an OGL patron, and I'm not too happy that 4E's getting a version also.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I'm a 4E patron, and I'm thrilled that we're getting a conversion!

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • I'm a 4E patron, and I guess a conversion is worth the money I paid.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I'm a 4E patron, but I'll be asking for a refund.

Votes: 5 11.6%

Glyfair

Explorer
Who cares what it's developed first?
I do.

4e was developed as a carry on from 3.5. That's why it's, you know, called fourth edition. Because there was a first, second, and third. Are you going to boycott all of 4e because the developers took ideas from 3.5 suppliments? Are you going to refuse to play 4e because you hated 3.5 that much? I found it doubtful. So why the anger that a 4e product comes from non-4e roots? Likewise, if it were first developed for 4e and then converted out, why would it be a big deal? Cool stuff is cool stuff, regardless of what it's first made for.
Anger has nothing to do with it. An adventure designed for 3.5 and converted to 4e is going to be very different than an adventure designed for 4e. I submit it will be worse, for 4e. That doesn't mean it won't be good and won't work. However, I am not paying that amount of money for a conversion. I would for a 4E adventure (only knowing what Wolfgang can do).

I have been a patron of every project up to and including Nic Logue's. I know what good stuff this is. I just don't need another 3.5 adventure now, and I don't want a conversion of a 3.5 project. If I wanted that, I would get in on the 3.5 project and convert it myself.

Not that I have money for these anymore, but I agree, I would like to see a 4E adventure that can have a 3.5 conversion rather than the opposite.
That's not what I am saying. I want him to run two separate, disconnected projects. Make one 4E and one 3.5. Run them consequently or concurrently (with help or even someone else of quality working on the second adventure).

This assumes he has the interest for both. It seems clear that he does.

Last edited:

Festivus

First Post
That's not what I am saying. I want him to run two separate, disconnected projects. Make one 4E and one 3.5. Run them consequently or concurrently (with help or even someone else of quality working on the second adventure).

This assumes he has the interest for both. It seems clear that he does.

I understood what you were saying. I wouldn't care if there was a 3.5 conversion or not, but that there was a 4E project soup to nuts would get my money (if I had any, which I don't so moot point).

Bah, where are the days before kids and mortgage where I could afford all this stuff.

Jack99

Adventurer
I am lazy this morning, so I will just quote Glyfair since he apparently has the exact same opinion as me on this project.

I have no real interest in a "conversion." If it's not designed with 4E in mind, I am not interested*.

I have to admit, I am not too fond of the fact that these projects are now fund raising races. I much prefer that a project be announced as 4E or 3E from the beginning and letting them gather the patrons they gather. It is just inflaming the "edition war" mentality out there as it is (not as bad as elsewhere on the internet, though). Given Wolfgang has a number of additional designers working with him (or even with their own projects...Nic Logue), having two running concurrently should be interesting.

* That's not a catch all. At these prices I am not interested. I am more than willing to use an old adventure or discounted adventure and convert it myself or even use someone else's conversion if it looks good.

Anger has nothing to do with it. An adventure designed for 3.5 and converted to 4e is going to be very different than an adventure designed for 4e. I submit it will be worse, for 4e. That doesn't mean it won't be good and won't work. However, I am not paying that amount of money for a conversion. I would for a 4E adventure (only knowing what Wolfgang can do).

I want him to run two separate, disconnected projects. Make one 4E and one 3.5. Run them consequently or concurrently (with help or even someone else of quality working on the second adventure).

Cheers

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm not a patron for either project, but I am glad that people like Bauer are doing this kind of thing. I'm a pretty big believer that our hobby in general (but particularly the D&D fanbase) needs more 'togetherness' and projects like Bauer's can ostensibly provide that, with the caveat that the patrons must set aside personal differences long enough to let it happen (which seems to be the major hurdle right now if this thread and similar threads regarding this same project are any indicator).

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I'm probably a minority, since I'm MORE interested in the project if there is a conversion from 3.5 to 4 also available.

That way I get a professional designer tackling conversion, and I get to see what choices he makes to the adventure to make it work as good as possible with 4e.

That in itself would be very interesting to read, to me.

/M

I also made the mistake that his saying "there are no plans to do a 3rd edition conversion right now" to mean that it was onesided. When I believed that the case, I was pissed...and I told him so on his livejournal.

However, I was mistaken. He clarified that there were no plans at the moment as 3e was winning...so there would have been no need to convert a 3e product to 3e.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who made that mistake...I kinda made myself look like a jerk on his boards based on that mistaken assumption.

In any case, open discussion is very good and could be enlightening. I'd hope that this is more helpful and less "nasty" and that the Open Design community grows from this rather than being divided.

Hence, my answer is choice #1. BUT I'll also be buying the conversion when it comes out so that I can learn a bit about 4e. I only own his prior 4e product...no other 4e for me yet...so this could potentially convert one or more OGL patrons to playing the new edition.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I am generally not interested in conversions. However, as a 4E DM, I am curious to watch how this conversion unfolds. I'm also curious as to whether or not he can really pull it off. This, to me, is the first serious attempt to convert something (by a professional(s)).

I've decided to roll the dice, and see if it can be done. It's worth the gamble for me (as I've cut back my RPG purchases in general, what with DDM being cancelled).

edit: I don't understand the part of partronage where someone doesn't want someone else to be happy and have access to a great product. I don't get the whole exclusivity thing at all. I want more happy people out there....and giving them more opportunity to play a fun game is one way to do that. My happiness does not increase by keeping others from having access to something fun.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'm for the OGL version, but I think the 4E conversion is great for those that want it - if it works. Either way, It will likely be a good excercise to see if such a thing *can* work.

As was pointed out to me, 4E fans have WotC and Goodman for adventures...and that's pretty much it. They need help. :)

Shadeydm

First Post
I think its great that open design allows fans of both editions to vote with thier wallets to determine which rules set will be used.

I would be disappointed that anyone would begrudge another gamer a conversion. Lame

Remove ads