• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you generate ability scores for PCs?

How do you generate ability scores?

• Standard (27 point) buy

Votes: 38 37.6%
  • Standard roll 4d6 drop lowest, no re-rolls

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Choose either of the standard systems (no rerolls if 4d6 drop)

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Roll 4d6, reroll low rolls or roll multiple times

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Assign stats however you feel

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 28.7%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
My current group likes high stats and since stats really don't matter, I go with it.

Can you back that up with some math or facts or reason, because in my experience stats very much matter and lost of high stats though off the assumptions of the game.

• They pace your attack/spell stat over levels.
  • The give a faustian bargain for giving up ASI to get feats
  • You have weaknesses in skills and saves that come up in play.
  • Throws off the balance of the classes compared to each other, since some do much better with many high stats and others do fine with just two.
  • They prevent rampant multiclassing, and when you do multiclass you need to carefully consider in order to have good primary stats for the attack/cast of the other class(es).

I'm not saying having high stats is badwrongfun. It's a blast! I'm saying that your premise statement does not describe 5e.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Can you back that up with some math or facts or reason, because in my experience stats very much matter and lost of high stats though off the assumptions of the game.

• Throws off the balance of the classes compared to each other, since some do much better with many high stats and others do fine with just two.
  • They prevent rampant multiclassing, and when you do multiclass you need to carefully consider in order to have good primary stats for the attack/cast of the other class(es).

I'm not saying having high stats is badwrongfun. It's a blast! I'm saying that your premise statement does not describe 5e.

Just off the top of my head, high stats matter more at low levels than at mid to high levels. Also, with the cap of 20 starting with high stats just means you reach the cap more quickly or have more mid to late game ASIs available for investment in feats.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Traditionally, I've always said, "Pick whatever ability scores you want, I don't care. If you really feel like having multiple 18's would be fun for you, or you desperately want every score to be 12+, then go for it."

But for 5E I've been experimenting a bit.
For my last campaign, we did 3d6-place-as-you-wish, with a twist:
Everybody sums their scores. Each player who didn't get the highest total subtracts their total from the highest and then distributes that many points among their own scores. This way everyone has an equal total of ability scores, despite the random rolling.
...This plan backfired when one player rolled 17, 17, 16, 16, 14, 14, and everybody else got to raise their scores to that superhuman level.

For my next campaign, I'm considering:
Roll 3d6 in order (re-roll if your highest score isn't 12+ or your total isn't 60+), then add +1, +2, +3, +4 to any scores of your choice (max 18).
That seems like a good balance of random abilities and player control.
It still allows some characters to be more powerful than others but probably not too extreme.
In such a campaign I'd also have players roll for hit dice after 1st level, for more of that old-school feel.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

It's really easy to compensate for high stats. Sure, it affects the game, but it really isn't tough to up the encounter difficulty to compensate.

Callahan09

Explorer
I use a custom array of 16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 9. According to AnyDice, this is the closest array to what the actual expected average result would be from rolling for stats the way the PHB outlines (4d6k3). So my players can roll for ability scores, or if they don't like the results they can take that custom array instead.

I have worked extensively on a modified point buy system as well, but still don't feel it's perfect enough to really use, but it's getting there.

delericho

Legend
Other. Each player gets a choice:

1) A standard array of 16, 15, 13, 12, 10, 8.
2) 28-point buy using the 3e costs and limits.
3) Random roll - 4d6 drop lowest, reroll if the net modifier is +0 or less or if your highest score is 13 or less.

(#2 and #3 are pretty standard from 3e. The "standard array" is somewhat better, but works out as 29 points, placing it somewhere between the other two options. So the trade-off is between raw numeric power and the ability to customise, and therefore optimise.)

Edit: A couple of other things - if you choose to roll, you have to do so in front of the group, and are expected to live with the results, whatever they are. And you're expected also to play in good faith - no suiciding a 'bad' character!

Last edited:

akr71

Hero
I generally do 4d6 drop the lowest, but the two groups I'm DM'ing right now I allowed 1 roll of 5d6 keep the best 3 and 4d6 drop the lowest for the remaining 5 ability scores. Assign them as you like. Many of the players already had race and class in mind. Many of the players in these two groups had never played before and none of us had played 5e - I wanted them to feel like the characters were heroes and having above average scores helps with that.

Edit: Just noticed that you do not have the standard array in the choices. Odd

ccs

41st lv DM
When I DM each player gets to decide for themselves wich method they'll use.
The choices are:
1) Standard pt buy,
2) Standard array,
3) Roll. 4d6-1, arrange to taste.
If you roll: No rerolls. All rolling is done at the table in front of the group. And you're expected to play the resulting stats in good faith.

Virtually everyone opts to roll.

When I'm a player I absolutely prefer to roll.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Roll 24d6. Drop the lowest six results. Apply no more than three results to each of your stats in whatever order you wish.
Just a quick question about your system that struck me as needing more input.

If there are eighteen remaining die results, and six ability scores, how would you ever end up with less than three die results to assign to a score when you can assign no more than three to each?

Valetudo

Adventurer
After testing a few different styles for 5th, i ended up using a 16 14 13 12 10 8 stat array along with a bonus feat. Dropping variant humans. My players really enjoy the feat for all races while still having to make choices. It always seems like when rolling for stats that everyone ends up with uber stats, which really changes the feal of the game. I also tend to start at 2nd lvl with 0 xps, unless i have a brand new player.

Remove ads