• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you spot a munchkin? (share skills!)

Janx

Hero
Min/Maxer is nearly the same as Powergamer, somebody who tries to hyper-optimize his character for in-game advantage. Usually involving combat.

Munchkin: willing and eager participant of a monty-haul game

A Munchkin is somebody who has too much phat-loot that unbalances the game.

The warning sign of a munchkin is they want to join your game with their existing PC. And when you look at the char sheet, there are more high bonus items than you expected.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
My definition of the term is fairly broad. A munchkin is someone who plays the game at the expense of the other players.

That covers pretty much every behaviour I've seen described as "munchkinism". Rampant, game-breaking min-maxing...complete disregard for in-character motivations...the desire to one-up and undermine both the DM and the other players...

...with the built-in hedge that if these sorts of behaviour are acceptable at a given table, the person committing them is thereby not a munchkin.

Which means that the diagnostic is going to be completely relative. You can spot a munchkin only when that player's style is out of line with the other players at the table. If most of the group are casual players who enjoy lots of roleplaying, and one guy is pounding down every fight without giving anyone else a chance to participate because he's got a sanity-defying exploit build from the CO boards, he's a munchkin. If all the players are CO fanatics, nobody is a munchkin.

dnddays

First Post
The 10 Commandments of Good Role-Playing

Hi!

I'm new here, but I've been GMing for some years already. However I decided to join internet community just now to learn new insights and ideas.

My first question is such - how do you spot a munchkin?

Let's presume that sometimes they can be useful and are necessary to balance systems (if you're creating your own RPG systems as I do), but overall minmaxers and munchkins can be annoying if you're trying to run a more role playing game, than just hack-and-slash.

So what are your tips how to spot them and how to deal with them? I believe here have to lots of experience gamemasters that can share their stories.

I know you could spot them easily in a situation like this. But I'm sure there are way more interesting situations and observations to be made.

Here is some sure-fire and sound advice for you:

1. Be sure to call players who do not play the way you want them to munchkins. They will respect the fact that you have contempt for them and will lead to more, albeit louder, dialog.

2. When a munchkin is hiding amongst your group by pretending to play reasonably, be sure to add even more non-combat and/or pointless roleplaying encounters to try and bore the player into revealing his true nature. Munchkins are sneaky SOBs who sometimes like to assume that there are times when combat is better than diplomacy. We all know that combat is for roll-players.

3. Make sure you force your players to devote at least 10,000 words to his character's background and motivations. Be sure to override any background you feel isn't gritty or realistic enough. All players in a real roleplaying game are required to be either a gruff hero with a heart of gold type, or an orphaned gruff hero with a heart of gold or a mysterious dark gruff hero with a heart of gold.

4. Munchkin players frequently complain about a lack of treasure. Be sure to remind such players that they are only allowed to find non-magical treasure and potions in your game, because your game is low-magic and realistic.

5. Caution your munchkin players that Dungeons & Dragons is only a title and that in fact there will be no dungeons and/or dragons of any kind in this simulationist low-magic fantasy role-not-roll-playing game.

6. All characters will roll 3d6, in order, for their ability scores. They will re-roll any scores that may make said character useful. When they ask why they must re-roll you will state that his dice are not balanced.

7. Players will not be allowed to use miniatures because they are training wheels to munchkinism.

8. Players will play only heavily house-ruled versions of OAD&D or 2e (if necessary). 3x is restricted because it is abusive. 4e is banned because it is fun.

9. Talk of WoW shall be limited to how much you hate it and how it stole your other friends lives. The other friends who would have played in your awesome homebrew campaign had they not gotten sucked into the pursuit of leet gear.

and finally . . .

10. Players must agree to and sign a legally binding contract to defer to your style and amount of role-playing. You may at any time deem a player is insufficiently involved because he looks bored, and force him to speak in a goofy accent for any action he would like to take in game to avoid metagame talk. You should reward him for choosing to play a female character, especially if said female character is a fellow male character's wife. You will require that all of your game sessions last at least 5 hours, because if you have nothing better to do than speak in a Scottish accent all night, neither will they.

I hope this advice helped.:angel:

Last edited:

doppelganger

Explorer
Couldn't you provide advice without the snarky sarcasm? I imagine you'd make a better impression that way.
I quite enjoyed his post and I can see some truth in it. For a fair number of people, 'munchkin' is basically defined as anyone whose play style they don't like and whose character is more mechanically effective than than that of the judger. Often, the people who complain about 'munchkins' sucking the fun out of games seem to want to suck the fun out of the 'munchkins' games.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Someone saying something to the effect of "Dragonborn are the only race that can pull off a Paladin" or any other combination of race/class in 4e.

Umm....no.

DS

Greg K

Legend
Munchkin PC: "I wanna go to a bigger town so I can get more magic items...this place is too small to have anything good."

Assuming the player is not simply rping a character, who is a jerk caring for more about magic and power than helping those in need, but can be swayed by the other party members, I would say it could be a player that rates high on the powergamer (plays to have a powerful character or the acquisition of power) scale and low on the rp scale. I would not want to play with such a player, but they are not necessarily a munckin, imo.

Remove ads