• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How do you time your level-ups?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Between sessions as much as is possible. We take a little time out to roll hit points but then I leave it up to the players to do the work, modify the character sheet, at home before the next session.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I rarely even bother to look at XP until an adventure is over or there is a sufficient break within a larger adventure where it might make sense. I've given out XP nine times in my current local game and we've had 40 sessions. The party is 7th level.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Leveling up strictly happens between sessions.

(Albeit, sometimes a session is spent without campaigning to help each other character build, and find interesting options.)

Andvari

Hero
I handle it with a few days of downtime while the party is in a safe area with reasonable facilities for training and resting. In practice, this usually means in town as the party returns from a mission.

I typically do not award XP for individual encounters, but for completing quests. But if I have a dungeon guarding the princess they need to save, the total XP award will still be based on the opposition guarding the princess.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
Passives are gained right away.

Any resource based abilities must wait for their respective rest to recharge.

no XP, milestone leveling.

Remove ads