How far do you travel to game?

How far do you travel to game?

• I don't travel: I just roll out of bed like a misshapen die

Votes: 85 29.7%
  • Less than 5 miles (or ~8 km): I would jog there if it weren’t for my low Con

Votes: 53 18.5%
  • 5 - 20 miles (8 - 32 km): Travel is not an issue when I got my horse...I mean car.

Votes: 63 22.0%
  • 20 - 50 miles (32 - 80 km): My party better use some of their treasure to pay for my gas!

Votes: 48 16.8%
  • 50 - 100 miles (80 - 160 km): I love gaming that much!

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • more than 100 miles (160 km): It's not bad, I teleport there.

Votes: 12 4.2%

DMO

First Post
It seems so long ago when we all lived mere blocks from one another -- an elegant commute from a more civilized age of gaming.

These days, we've flung ourselves to the furthest corners of the Chicagoland region, spread across the northernmost, westernmost, and southernmost suburbs, as well as downtown. The mileage, while not insignificant, isn't the killer; it's the traffic.

But then, one of our players manages to join us with some frequency from Dallas, so the rest of us have no right to complain.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Up to 30 minutes. Though for a while, I did participate in one game that took me an hour to get to.

I'll also go to local conventions for some gaming, but I mostly go to those to check out new products and meet people.

serleran

First Post
Seeing as I have not gamed for almost 3 years, I have to select option the last, as I will be going something like 2500 miles to GenCon....

Yay for teleportation!

Laslo Tremaine said:
The other is on alternate Sundays in Olympia, which is an 80 mile drive from my home in North Seattle. If it wasn't for the fact that one of my best buddies from NYC just moved there (and he comes up to Seattle for one of the weeknight games) I probably wouldn't have the stamina to make the commute...
I have the exact opposite situation -- an alternate Saturday game in North Seattle, which is a 70 mile drive from my home in Olympia. I used to live in Seattle, now attending the game is a big sacrifice.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
mhacdebhandia said:
Most of the regular campaigns I play in, as well as most of the one-shot games I play at my university gaming society's pizza and games night, are about forty-five minutes away from where I live by car (more if for some insane reason I'm trying to get across the Harbour Bridge into the city in rush hour).
I ought to add that the only person who has a worse drive to gaming is our immediate past president, who lives about ten minutes down the road from me. ;) Our current president once had it even worse, living about twice as far away as we do, but he now lives about a ten minute drive or bus ride from campus, and it'd be five minutes if it weren't over busy major roads.

Most everyone else also lives within twenty minutes' drive of the university, though most don't drive and have to use public transport of various kinds. They're spread out over the Inner West of Sydney. :)

When I played in Hong's Britannia game, that was about a fifteen-minute drive. I liked his apartment but he didn't have enough seating. ;)

Ringmereth

First Post
Of the two games I play in, one is at my high school (about a quarter mile from my house), and I bike or walk there most of the time. The other, at a friend's house, is 3 or 4 miles away. The farthest I've gone was an old friend's about an hour away for a marathon session.

Bobitron

Explorer
My group meets once a week, and I drive about 65 miles, maybe 1hr 20min to get there, the same back. My commute to work is about the same, so I suppose I'm somewhat used to it.

The only bad part is the late nights (we end at about 11-11:30pm) and the extra 5 or so gallons of fuel each week.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
We either play at my place or the place a friend of mine bought recently. Everyone cycles to the game. We all live in Amsterdam (though one in Diemen, the poor bugger, it's a 40 minute trip by bike to my place from Diemen).

Rav

Thanee

First Post
10 km (car) to one and 80 km (train, free (not really, of course, I paid for the ticket, but I need that, anyways, so for this it's essentially free)) to the other group. :)

Bye
Thanee

Starglim

Explorer
About 20-25 minutes by public transport. Since we play midweek after work I'd have to think about it seriously if travel time got up past 40 minutes or so.

Remove ads