• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much combat features/d in your AD&D (1e) games?

How much combat featured in your 1e games?

• 0% We never had any combat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10% We very rarely had any combat

• 20%

• 30% Combat happened but it was never the focus of the game

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 40%

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • 50% About half and half

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • 60%

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • 70% Roleplay? What's that? Tom the fighter attacks!

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • 80% Bree Yark!

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • 90%+ There was nothing but carnage. We didn't even name characters.

Votes: 3 3.8%

molonel

First Post
I put 80%, but it was more like 75%. Roleplaying was what we did to get to the combat. I play a much more intensive roleplaying game in 3rd Edition.

Ourph said:
I voted 70%. We did very little naming of characters, character development or sitting around the table chatting about the lives of our imaginery personas.

My experience is very similar, but I voted 40%, on the grounds that we spend much time avoiding traps, negotiating obstacles, and putting the party's large collection of 10' poles to good use (no, not that kind of use, you filthy-minded pervert).

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
hong said:
I like lots of combat. But more than that, I like lots of combat with POSING. Just mechanical "I move here/I deal X damage" is a bit dry for my tastes.
Some day we'll get to play Feng Shui together, and there will be much rejoicing.

Part of it was how old I was. But I recently found my character sheet for "Randimar the Manyhanded", who wielded two bastard swords and whose character development consisted of what he had recently killed. We were in the 70-80% range, ourselves, but the other 20-30% of our time was spent arguing about rules. :)

Last edited:

Melan

Explorer
Less than today, for some reason (not being able to afford a monster book might have played a role). I also became a lot more bloodthirsty as a DM over the years.

BryonD

Hero
70 - 80%

Certainly a fair amount more than now, but I really don't think edition had anything to do with the change.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Lots of combat in our 1e games but I figure that was because I was a kid and not really the game. We had lots of combat in everything we played even Chess. :D
QFT. The same applied to the Traveller and Tunnels and Trolls I played back then as well. As I got older and started roleplaying more I was mainly playing WFRP.

Remove ads