• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much combat features/d in your AD&D (1e) games?

How much combat featured in your 1e games?

• 0% We never had any combat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10% We very rarely had any combat

• 20%

• 30% Combat happened but it was never the focus of the game

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 40%

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • 50% About half and half

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • 60%

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • 70% Roleplay? What's that? Tom the fighter attacks!

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • 80% Bree Yark!

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • 90%+ There was nothing but carnage. We didn't even name characters.

Votes: 3 3.8%

About 40%, though I would have preferred if that percentage was lower. Back then, combat was not only boring but also dangerous! I enjoyed exploration and roleplaying a lot more. It was just safer.

T. Foster

First Post
DeadlyUematsu said:
About 40%, though I would have preferred if that percentage was lower. Back then, combat was not only boring but also dangerous! I enjoyed exploration and roleplaying a lot more. It was just safer.
What he said.

hong

WotC's bitch
Piratecat said:
Some day we'll get to play Feng Shui together, and there will be much rejoicing.

I tried to get my group to like Exalted's rules for stunt dice (if you describe an action well, you get a bonus). They said it was too stressful. :(

Part of it was how old I was. But I recently found my character sheet for "Randimar the Manyhanded", who wielded two bastard swords and whose character development consisted of what he had recently killed. We were in the 70-80% range, ourselves, but the other 20-30% of our time was spent arguing about rules. :)

Hey, you haven't lived until you've had a shouting match about BattleTech rules... in the university library.

Hussar

Legend
Starglim said:
Less than in 3e, I have to say.

And I'd have to disagree with you. Even with a very small sample, we see that most campaigns were pretty high on the hack scale - 70%+. If you look at the similar thread for the 3e campaigns, you'll see the breakdown is almost identical.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

green slime

First Post
Kill things. Take their stuff.

How complicated can it get?

Aeric

Explorer
Now that I think about it, there was actually less combat in those old 2nd edition games than there is in the 3rd edition ones. Of course, back then I only played in homebrews and almost never saw the inside of a dungeon.

Remove ads