• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How powerful is regeneration?

darthkilmor

First Post
I've got an NPC barbarian that I've put with the party that, storywise has "trollblood" in his ancestry and thus has regeneration 1. How powerful of an ability is this, as far as level adjustment? +1 ? +2 ?

Darklone

Complete Series (the Reserve healing feat from Comp Champion) allowed and do you have Dragon shamans?

If yes: I'd give him Fast Healing 1 for one or two feats. LA +1 at max. I wouldn't give him regeneration at all.

darthkilmor

First Post
Darklone said:
Complete Series (the Reserve healing feat from Comp Champion) allowed and do you have Dragon shamans?

If yes: I'd give him Fast Healing 1 for one or two feats. LA +1 at max. I wouldn't give him regeneration at all.

Well, he's got regeneration already and feats already, just want to know what regeneration is worth, LA-wise. Don't really want to respin him.

Edit: I dont have complete champion , what book is dragon shaman in?

Last edited:

UltimaGabe

First Post
Regeneration alone, LA-wise, is worth at least +2, regardless of the amount. It basically makes your character immortal. Unless he suffocates, starves, dies of thirst, or is hit with the one or two energy types that can damage him, ALL DAMAGE HE TAKES BECOMES NON-LETHAL. That means no matter what, if he's up against an army of hobgoblins, unless they use acid/fire/whatever on him, he won't die. He may not win (he'll quite easily go unconscious), but he'll be back up. And again. And again.

Regeneration is an incredibly powerful ability. It's not such an immense deal since he's an NPC, but I'd still give him Fast Healing instead. It's just so much easier to handle. And just so you remember, under NO circumstances WHATSOEVER should you give a player Regeneration.

Quartz

Hero
Giving a NPC regeneration is fun: it gives you the excuse to bring the NPC back to annoy the players again and again.

Vegepygmy

First Post
darthkilmor said:
I've got an NPC barbarian that I've put with the party that, storywise has "trollblood" in his ancestry and thus has regeneration 1. How powerful of an ability is this, as far as level adjustment? +1 ? +2 ?
"Troll-blooded" is a Greyhawk regional feat. Since he's an NPC and LA is therefore pretty much irrelevant, why not just price it at "1 feat"?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Vegepygmy said:
"Troll-blooded" is a Greyhawk regional feat. Since he's an NPC and LA is therefore pretty much irrelevant, why not just price it at "1 feat"?

The regional feat causes you to become fatigued in sunlight.

I saw an interesting proposal to change this to 'fatigued whenever you are regenerating' - that is, any time your non-lethal damage total is greater than zero.

It means that the penalties are far more likely to crop up when they're most likely to have an effect - during combat.

(Of course, there's the whole Horizon Walker issue to keep in mind.)

-Hyp.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Could always give regeneration 0, all damage except fire and acid is converted to nonlethal.
Might even be a strong +0 LA, makes you nearly unkillable.
But I'd probably do something like:
+2 str, +2 con, -2 int, -2 cha, Regneration 0 (fire acid), claw attack 1d4, LA +1

darthkilmor

First Post
Vegepygmy said:

Doh, wasn't that original of me after all :(

Ok maybe I'm being too anal about this but, as an NPC thats effectively another party member, shouldn't he be getting an equal share of the party XP ? Maybe tracking the XP of NPC's is a bit much and I should just level him up "whenever".

monboesen

Explorer
He is an NPC and should get xp, feats and abilities exactly as you, the DM, wants him to. There is no need to use the same rules for PC's and NPC's

Remove ads