How Quickly is C&C Catching on?

Mythmere1

First Post
Every game store in Houston sold out in one day, last Saturday, when the books arrived. Two of my four players ended up ordering from Amazon, and one got a book from the FLGS before they ran out.

Troll Lords mentioned somewhere that if sales continued at current pace, they'd be out in 15 days (that post was several days ago, 7 maybe), but that they expected to have inventory for about 60 days - obviously, sales slow down after the first couple of weeks.

Still, it's astounding that several (major) cities are seeing an actual sellout-shortage of an OGL game in this market - even assuming that they probably only ordered a couple of copies each in the first place, I've never heard of that...

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I can't find this book anywhere in St. Louis, the major LGS chain hasn't ordered it, and even with my telling them to order me a copy in mid December I still don't have anything. I'm going to have to order another copy from TLG direct I guess.

Treebore

First Post
Ariddrake said:
I just wanted to praise the C&C a little. I want to say first that I love that 3.x has brought alot of people back to the hobby, including me. The thing about C&C that I like so much is that it plays, to me, alot like basic and expert dnd where I had everything in those books memorized like the back of my hand, we even house ruled AC as its done now. My problem with 3.x is that I have 50 flash cards that I use to DM with and I still have this feeling that I am omitting something. I know you can use what you want and leave the rest but I feel that there are so many caveats that I forget something. This is not leaving out rules you do not want to use but having so many rules it makes it very difficult to keep up with everything especially if you have a job, work, school, etc. I get stressed out by 3.x sometimes when it's supposed to be a game.
I also wanted to say I read the complete box set I got from Gencon in an hour. Also the adventure that comes with the box set has alot of stuff going on for being so short. Good Job. :)

Very much the same thing with my reasons for liking C&C.

gideon_thorne

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I can't find this book anywhere in St. Louis, the major LGS chain hasn't ordered it, and even with my telling them to order me a copy in mid December I still don't have anything. I'm going to have to order another copy from TLG direct I guess.

I'll talk to the Trolls and see whats up? Might just be normal distribution delay. :\

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Flexor the Mighty! said:

That's why I almost never buy stuff from the Fantasy Shop anymore, they rarely get new stuff in that isn't from the major companies/lines.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
trancejeremy said:
That's why I almost never buy stuff from the Fantasy Shop anymore, they rarely get new stuff in that isn't from the major companies/lines.

Yeah, it's not exactly the best store if you aren't a D&D or WW player. Do you know of any alternatives?

I finally got mine yesterday. Love the front cover art, the knight vs. the dragons really captures the old school feel perfectly. Incidently, the guy at my FLGS told me he's sold eight copies in the past week or so. C+C looks like the hottest d20/OGL product since Conan. Keep up the good work.

cleaverthepit

First Post
The problem begins at the retail level and is only compounded at the distribution level.

Retailers are rightly shy of purchasing OGL, D20 material these days because they just do not sell well (other than a few big companies and even those sales are flagging). They are shying away from spending on any risky project. C&C is viewed as a risk by some.

Now, are they right? Our local game store - just 2-3 miles away has no CCPHBs. We have now sold 17 inside the city limits of Little Rock - out of our office. Most had stopped at the LGS first. Mena Arkansas (look that up on a map) has sold 7 from its game store. And one store on the east coast has moved 27 in a month (the store also sold right at 60 Planet Busters - whatever he is doing he is doing it right). On the other hand, a store in Chicago purchased 8 and has only sold 3.

Its spotty sales and we are guessing it is selling high in areas where there is a 'net community' in play or where we have made a presence (Mena via gideon thorne for example).

The distribution chain is also a little bit iffy in places so several distributors ran out very quickly and stores could not get any. As a result, several stores have started ording directly from us. This is good and bad. Stores get discounts on volume purchases through distributors so many are reluctant to go direct to manufactorer but,since we have no minimum order.... well except one purchase :) but that goes without saying.

We are almost out here at the office but there are still many in the chain so a store should be able to get them. Most stores will special order and many will order one copy if a customer has an interest but is not sure about purchasing.

Asking at Hasting, B&N, Books-a-Million should also work and they do not require a purchase - at least not in my experience. Then Buy.com is selling them cheap as are Walmart and Amazon.

davis

Remove ads