• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How should the Warlord be implemented in 1DnD?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I would enjoy it as a class, sure, but I honestly can't imagine them giving us anything other than a fighter subclass on it. OTOH I can see them giving us a much better fighter subclass then we currently have.

I assume this is more of a pipe-dream thread, though, right?
rebooting the Purple Dragon Knight is the best I expect. The current version has a much better story than it does mechanics.

I know, it was weird that to play a vampire in 4e, it was both a species, class and theme, so it was possible to play a triple vampire. But that allowed different approaches and amount of vampiricism, lol
Kind of want to see feat chains or something representing vampirism and lycanthropy. 5e isn't very friendly to players being either of these.

In some settings that makes sense, while in other settings it's just stifling.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
All three mages use the arcane power source from what we know. Psion wouldn't.

Hell the psion might not even be a caster.
It could use its own power source and not be a caster and it’d still be a mage. It’s gonna burn a resource to produce supernatural effects, and that’s gonna be its whole thing. That’s a mage.

rebooting the Purple Dragon Knight is the best I expect. The current version has a much better story than it does mechanics.
I agree that the Purple Dragon Knight (generic name "banneret") may deserve to get an overhaul in 2024 to be a "Warlord"-style Fighter subclass.

Being from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, it is one of the oldest post-2014 subclasses that has not yet been updated.

I'd like to see it as a single subclass able to be taken by all classes (perhaps with some modular design to it), or as subclasses unique to each class like what @Mirrorrorrim said above. I much prefer the concept being spread around the other classes.
Anyone remember the UA that explored "prestige classes" with Rune Magic?

Now that subclass levels are going to be the same for all classes, I've been VERY curious whether Wizards will explore the design of class-agnostic subclasses (like @cbwjm said above), or if 3rd parties are going to do that first.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Anyone remember the UA that explored "prestige classes" with Rune Magic?

Now that subclass levels are going to be the same for all classes, I've been VERY curious whether Wizards will explore the design of class-agnostic subclasses (like @cbwjm said above), or if 3rd parties are going to do that first.
1dnd would be a great time to review those Strixhaven subclasses that never made it to print. Now that subclasses are going to follow the same structure, I think they'd work well. I won't be surprised if someone redoes them, maybe a DMsguild creator.

To me there are two abilities and one thing that a Warlord needs without which it can not be reasonably considered to be a D&D Warlord.
  1. The ability to hand over their attacks to their allies on an at-will basis
  2. The ability to enable an ally to spend their hit dice in combat as a bonus action (limited use but more than 1/day)
  3. Being similar to a stock fighter in terms of weapons and equipment but worse at "stock" fighting.
And it's the third one that gives me the way in, and how they could be covered by the fighter class, killing two birds with one stone. A new fighting style that lets you turn over your attack to an ally (hitting people with the party barbarian) covers both points 1 and 3. It doesn't improve your melee combat ability, thus putting you behind a stock fighter. (And putting you further behind a sword & board or archer fighter than a two handed fighter - which is entirely appropriate for places to take the penalty for what would otherwise be the stronger options).

Therefore I'd suggest:
  • Fighting Style: Direct the Strike. Instead of making an attack an ally you can see within 30' may make an attack as a reaction.
  • Fighting Style: Brash Assault. When you make an attack you may provoke, allowing the foe you attacked to make an attack against you with Advantage.
    • If they do then one of your allies may, as a reaction, make an attack against them with Advantage
    • If they do not then if they attack you before your next turn they have Disadvantage.
(Yes it's either-or. I like Bravura Warlords. And Commander's Strike is already a Battlemaster option).

Also:
Battlemaster Maneuver: Inspiration. As a bonus action spend a Superiority Dice. One ally of yours within 30' may spend a hit dice and regain a number of hit points equal to the roll of that hit dice plus the roll of your Superiority Dice.

Also redo the Purple Dragon Knight. Finally I don't think every class needs a warlord analogue - but the Rogue needs a teamworky/healy subclass that also gets some sort of ally hit dice spending inspiration.

Marital summoner. You put out the call at the beginning of the adventure and get some of NPC/sidekicks, and during the adventure, you can persuade humanoids and fey to join your entourage. Entourage size is based on your level and your prestige (charisma).

Remove ads