• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How should the Warlord be implemented in 1DnD?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
As long as any healing they have is magical or very minor I'm good. If they try and give them the ability to heal a lot of hit points quickly without magic, that's when the concept falls apart.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
This feels like some of the more specialized uses of bardic inspiration. If warlord needs to be its own class, and not a bard subclass, maybe the bardic inspiration framework should be used, for balancing purposes.
No. Like I said it is more like a Paladin's Aura.

Turtle Tactics: Anyone who follows your plan get +1 AC and advantage on Strength saving throws.
Skirmish Stance: Anyone who follows your plan get +10ft Speed and advantage on Dexterity saving throws.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
This feels like some of the more specialized uses of bardic inspiration. If warlord needs to be its own class, and not a bard subclass, maybe the bardic inspiration framework should be used, for balancing purposes.

There's a bard subclass (Swords, IIRC) that uses BI like they're a Battlemaster's Combat Superiority Dice. All you need to do is use CS like it's Bardic Inspiration. Which exists, of course, but there probably needs to be a few more options available.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
giving them the commander's strike maneuvre as well as aura effects like the paladin and perhaps something comparible to bardic inspiration are definitely things a warlord should have, i'm going to list a few other things i've seen around in 5e's mechanics that i think ought to be the basis of something thrown into their mix. (some of these might not be word for word RAW but you get their intent)

hobgoblin's Fey Gift: this allows you to take the help action as a bonus action with one of three specific variants hospitality, passage and spite which each respectively give both of you 1d6+PB temp hit points, increase both your walking speeds by 10ft until your next turn and the next enemy the helped creature hits has disadvantage on the next attack it makes.
tandem tactician feat: lets you take the help action at 10ft range to assist up to two allies making an attack against the same creature.
inspiring leader feat: lets you perform a speech before a battle that gives allies temp hit points.
interception/protection fighting styles: lets you use your reaction to reduce the damage dealt by an attack/impose disadvantage on an attack roll made against an ally within 5ft.

providing a higher than average or AoE flanking bonus is something i could see them with.

i know people don't want a warlord with magic and i honestly agree but if it really came down to it i'd rather one with magic based healing than one that can't heal at all, healing word, cure wounds and their mass variants, healing spirit, some other support like bane/bless, shield of faith, aid, warding bond and suchlike.

I mean if it was going to be a subclass of anything, Bard is right down the bottom of the list alongside the other full casters.

The entire core point for the concept existing is being a martial support class/subclass which doesn't involve magic.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The more I let the idea percolate, the more I think that a set of variant features for the base fighter, and a subclass named The Captain (I will die on the hill that this is the only name that isn’t terrible for the concept) would do the trick.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The more I let the idea percolate, the more I think that a set of variant features for the base fighter, and a subclass named The Captain (I will die on the hill that this is the only name that isn’t terrible for the concept) would do the trick.
I like the Captain - it's a very good name for it. Warlord has the "tradition", but it was never a good name for it.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I could go for General, Commander, or Tactician as well

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I like the Captain - it's a very good name for it. Warlord has the "tradition", but it was never a good name for it.
The thing I don't like about Captain is that at 3rd level I shouldn't be captain-y. Maybe lieutenant (but with the odd British pronunciation that includes an unwritten 'F')

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
i know people don't want a warlord with magic and i honestly agree but if it really came down to it i'd rather one with magic based healing than one that can't heal at all, healing word, cure wounds and their mass variants, healing spirit, some other support like bane/bless, shield of faith, aid, warding bond and suchlike.
A subclass which has "Kings Magic" - King's Magic is the kind of magic where true oaths can bring back the dead and your magic item only responds to those of your blood and oaths of allegience create brotherhoods whose unity grants them power. It might involve fated companions and is often focused through marks of authority. It can involve influence of followers, and those under your jurisdiction or whom you have mastered by force of arms. It could involve your lands health and prosperity being attached to yours like ancient Celtic Kings. It might include Fate and Destiny manipulation and it's price is often marked in units of charity or karma.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads