• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to Make a Fantasy Sandbox PDF

Agamon

Adventurer
I've been reading through the World Builder's Guidebook in preparation for creating a sandbox homebrew, this will help. Thanks for putting it together.

Griego

First Post
Really nice stuff, the material on wind circulation and monsoons was most interesting. A little real-world knowledge goes a long way in making a fantasy world come to life.

Evenglare

Adventurer
The only thing I can see making this better is to ditch the word "I". This is coming from a collegiate stand point of writing a thesis. It will make your work sound much more professional. The material in the document is amazing though.

I completely disagree with Evenglare's advice about ditching the first person. Decisions about voice are important, and use of "I" will make it feel less formal and more personal--but that's not a bad thing. Trying really hard to avoid saying "I" can easily make writing seem stilted--think about how awful constructions like "one wonders..." are. Also, the use of personal pronouns to mark opinion can be an effective way to mark the distinction between facts and opinions, or the like. "Population clusters typically form around major freshwater features like rivers and lakes. I like to place cities by..."

Evenglare

Adventurer
I is indeed non formal, and some people may like that , but to make it a high quality document that is to be considered professional.... "I" needs to go . As far as I am aware absolutely no rpg books say "I" when explaining the rules (the obvious exception is when explaining in character game play). You dont HAVE to do this, but in my opinion this PDF is high enough quality for selling , but to do that you must not use "I" .

In my zelda RPG I have sections called game design theory where I talk informally about the rules I chose, however my final document will not have this. Except maybe in the appendix. You could do something like that I suppose. However, rules are no place for first person point of view. I'm honestly just trying to help make this a professional document.

Agamon

Adventurer
It's not an RPG book, it's a pdf of collected blog posts, which are often editorial in nature. The use of "I" is natural.

Remove ads