• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How VTT Automation Exacerbates D&D Market Control

Thomas Shey

Legend
Well, I've expressed my opinion that this is an artifact of overdependence on VTT automation. I've been running via VTT since sometime before COVID now, but the only thing I expect it to do is support map uploading, token movement, and a little fog of war. I did everything else manually before VTTs, I can keep doing this now.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Well, I've expressed my opinion that this is an artifact of overdependence on VTT automation. I've been running via VTT since sometime before COVID now, but the only thing I expect it to do is support map uploading, token movement, and a little fog of war. I did everything else manually before VTTs, I can keep doing this now.
Ignorance is bliss! J/K

Honestly, the only reason I have played 5E D&D at all in the last, say, 5 years is because that's what my gaming circle )probably 2 dozen or so folks) gravitates toward. I think I am going to have to expand the circle again, which can be a frustrating process when you aren't offering D&D.
This is so true. I’ve added some new people to my regular group but they never stay long and not D&D is inevitably one of the reasons.

I don’t run 5e at all beyond trying it early on for a few sessions. It can make finding players, and retaining them, more difficult.

What platform are you using? We’ve use the automation present for GURPS, WHFRP 4e and PF2 and for some time now I’ve felt the automation and clicks just slows things down.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This makes me think of how integrated with the builder and monster tool the 4e vtt was, even tho it never left beta, and how I still think it was the best vtt I’ve used to this day. If it were still around, I doubt I’d be willing to use other vtts to play other games.

Of course, I’m also happy to just have a camera on a physical table to play over discord, but I can see where folks are coming from regardless.

Thomas Shey

Legend
What platform are you using? We’ve use the automation present for GURPS, WHFRP 4e and PF2 and for some time now I’ve felt the automation and clicks just slows things down.

Maptool.

I'm willing to acknowledge that some automation can, sometimes, speed up a game--but in the end, so what? Unless the lack of it is making it slower than face to face, that doesn't make it a must-have to me.

(That said, for some games I'll use a dice roller or a couple other tools depending (dice rollers work really well for die-pool games, but I'm not sold they actually save any time at all for varied-polyhedra games)., but I don't consider them a necessity.)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
PF2e is better supported on Foundry than DnD is......the main system tool is much better. Then there is an entire website with every rule and PC tools. I don't understand how this isn't at least as well supported as DnD....

Remove ads