I have Adventure Vault 2

Cadfan

First Post
Rats.

I'm still incredibly bitter that a game with eight different "heavy blade" class swords still hasn't got a katana. Its almost vaguely embarassing that a game with specific rules for an egyptian short sword, bladed boomerangs, and a staff with an axe head on both ends, has managed to avoid anything hinting of asian weaponry other than, oddly enough, shuriken.

And don't try to tell me its just a longsword. We've clearly left that level of granularity far, far behind somewhere between the short sword, longsword, bastard sword, greatsword, and fullblade.

I am apparently more grumpy about this than I realized.

Kez Darksun

First Post
I would have liked some new toys to play with as well. Its not like new weapons & armor took up 20 pages in AV1. Oh well, maybe some more non-magical weapons and armor could be introduced via Dragon. Still interested to hear more about what is in AV2. I'll wait til I read through it in the bookstore before I decide if there is anything in there to make me want to have a physical copy versus just using the Character Builder/Compendium.

Rechan

Adventurer
Okay, so you can't find anything about the implements that are superior.

Are the implements that just seem better than the normal ones actually MAGICAL (hence, magical items that are just better than previous), or are we talking implements that are better at their base, unenchanted state?

Crothian

First Post
Okay, so you can't find anything about the implements that are superior.

Are the implements that just seem better than the normal ones actually MAGICAL (hence, magical items that are just better than previous), or are we talking implements that are better at their base, unenchanted state?

There is nothing I've seen that is non magical in the book. All the implements are specific magical items.

Overall and so far, Magical items in 4E have left me a little non-plussed. I purchased Adventurer's Vault sight unseen and was disappointed with the approach - get a particular bonus and get a particular action once/time unit or something to that effect. Nothing really stood out as being particularly magical for me.

However, in a recent DDI post, WotC were talking about expanding the complexity of the game (specifically with PHB3 I think) and I think this might allow for greater scope in MI design... or it might not depending upon what they do. In AV2, is there some signs here that some more unusual design pieces are being envisaged and what are they? Crothian, you're in an excellent position here to gauge the design trend I'm talking about - can you offer an opinion in this regards? I'm getting the feeling that AV2 is most likely not for me but if you can give me some encouragement otherwise, it would be appreciated.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
And don't try to tell me its just a longsword. We've clearly left that level of granularity far, far behind somewhere between the short sword, longsword, bastard sword, greatsword, and fullblade.

I am apparently more grumpy about this than I realized.

...wasn't it just a reskinned bastard sword in 3e?

Brad

Obryn

Hero
Honestly, I don't know what other niche it could fill, unless it were a +2/d10/High Crit, which strikes me as kinda cruddy. :)

We have...

+3 / d6 / Offhand / Light Blade
+3 / d8 / Heavy Blade
+2 / d10 / Heavy Blade
+3 / d10 / 2-handed Heavy Blade
+3 / d10 / 1-handed heavy blade superior
+3 / d12 / 2-handed heavy blade, high crit, superior

I'd think it would be the same as a Bastard Sword, but that's just IME.

Maybe +3 / d8 / High Crit, Brutal 1, Superior? Yes, that sounds good. Congrats, there's yer katana. ;)

-O

Crothian

First Post
In AV2, is there some signs here that some more unusual design pieces are being envisaged and what are they?

It looks the previews really talked about the things that are done differently here. Item sets expand on what magical items can do by collecting parts or all of them. I like them because it adds a theme and while none of them looked under powered they also do not look like the optimal choice which some people really seem to like in 4e.

Immurements looks really cool. Each one has a small picture of the terrain that the area becomes but I have to imagine at some point there is going to be a tile set of these.

There are some items that have charges, I don't recall seeing that before but I could be wrong. These are charges per day and different abilities cost different charges.

The lair items are neat. These are like workshops and labs and dojos. I like anything that encourages a base of operations.

Remove ads